Color - Craw Trailer?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Color - Craw Trailer?

Post by OBD »

Hey all

Im looking for some craws to put in the back of a flipping jig... I was wondering what color it should be? My jig is Black and blue and I mostly fish the rideau canal.

Thanks!

Nodie
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

How about black/blue? :wink:

Tom
Blaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Blaker »

black blue or straight black would good choices for that colour jig.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Nodie,

I was flipping thru a yr-old issue of In-Fisherman earlier today and happened to re-read an article on jigs. There was a suggestion to find trailer colors reflecting the appearance of the prey bass are eating where you'll be fishing (i.e. a bit of chartreuse on the tail where bass eat sunfish or pumpkinseeds; or a touch of red or blue to match the crayfish population, etc....)

If you have the flipping jigs with skirts, there is also the tip to try trimming the skirt to give it a fuller body. They suggested trimming the skirt upside down, starting at the bottom and up the sides. "The shorter the haircut, the more the skirt puffs."

Just the choices among WHAT KIND of trailers are fun: chunks, craws, grubs... what's your poison?

Good luck!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

craw trailers

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

I usually prefer darker,more natural colors. black, brown, olive etc. One of my personal fav's is a craw made by WAVE in a color called "burnt bacon". I usually affix it to a black and brown flippin jig(3/8oz)thats my favorite combo in summer. When the water starts to cool in fall though, I always use real pork trailers on my jigs. Finicky biting HAWGS will hang on just a wee bit longer with the salty taste of pork...But then what the hell do I know?! I hope this helps.

good luck!
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

trailers

Post by Big Jim »

Hey Nodie, whatever colour you choose (I like dark pukey looking colours myself) get yourself some Strike King Denny Brauer 3X jig trailers or Chunks as they call them for the back.
You can use one chunk all day with any luck and those darn panfish won't be ripping em' up as they do with regular plastic..if it is good enough for Denny Brauer..it's good enough for us.

Take Care

BIG JIM
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: trailers

Post by wolfe »

Big Jim wrote:Hey Nodie, whatever colour you choose (I like dark pukey looking colours myself) get yourself some Strike King Denny Brauer 3X jig trailers or Chunks as they call them for the back.

BIG JIM
Big Jim, wouldn't it be great to pick up a package of the "chunks" and instead of pumpkinseed or watermelon, we'd read "dark 'n pukey" as the color title. There's honesty for ya; no candy coating whatsoever. I'd buy it just for that! :lol: Dark 'n pukey chunks. Oh yeah... :lol:

W.

PS: another quality post courtesy of Wolfe. :wink:
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.