Where are you fishing this weekend? March 6-7

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

With the warm, wet weather we are having is it time to stay off of the ice?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 17

Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Where are you fishing this weekend? March 6-7

Post by Seaweed »

Looks like it should be warm and wet this weekend. Petrie is having a tournament so I might drop down there and check the water levels and try the action .... maybe I should bring my waders though.

The search continues for a new boat. Anyone spotting anything under $10G. Deep-V high sided aluminium with plenty of power and livewell and storage perferred.

I have found a real nice deal in Woodstock.... long drive but the price is right for a very sweet package. Since the outdoor show I`m really itching for the soft water action again.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Seaweed, if you make the drive to Woodstock to view that boat, let me know. I'm only 30 minutes from there and if you're itch'n for some fishing, I'd be happy to take you to a couple fishable local spots here.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fishing with Markus

Post by Seaweed »

Thanks for the offer Markus. I will take you up on that offer when I come down. I wouldn`t mind checking out those nice Brown Trout you are finding down there. :D I haven`t fished for big trout since I used to wade the tributaries off of Lake Ontario.

Might even ask you to drive up and do a quick look for me before I make that my 7 1/2 hour drive.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I haven't seen any browns this spring yet, but they're around. Rainbows are starting to become more active though.

I'd be happy to have a pre-look at the boat if it means saving you a long drive. Just shoot me the details and I'd be happy to help out.
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Hope to watch the ice break off the Grand River this weekend. Every year this is something to watch, the power of water. WOW. 8)

Also you never know what some Hamiltonians will do :shock:, fire department is usually busy rescueing someone.

Here's a story that happened just a few years ago.

2 guys from steel town, decide to fish at the dam, but do not want to get wet/cold wading, so they bring their canoe. They anchor in the fast water below the dam, and start fishin.

Now the water levels have been rising all day, but no problem, their in a canoe right. Well the ice breaks above the dam, miles away that morning, and now that they are set, they do not realise the "Flow" is just 100m away from the dam.

Once they realize what is happening, it's too late. the water rises too quickly, the large chunks of ice surround the canoe, sending them overboard.

Luckly enough for them there are lots of onlookers, and a island (now covered in ice and water) with trees, they abandon their fishing gear and canoe, and climb a couple of trees to safety. The onlookers call the fire department, and use their hovercraft to get them, 2 hours later, when water levels have dropped, and most of the ice has passed down river.

So I will defer fishing to watch the river, until it is safe!
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

Steve G wrote:Hope to watch the ice break off the Grand River this weekend. Every year this is something to watch, the power of water. WOW. 8)

Also you never know what some Hamiltonians will do :shock:, fire department is usually busy rescueing someone.

Here's a story that happened just a few years ago.

2 guys from steel town, decide to fish at the dam, but do not want to get wet/cold wading, so they bring their canoe. They anchor in the fast water below the dam, and start fishin.

Now the water levels have been rising all day, but no problem, their in a canoe right. Well the ice breaks above the dam, miles away that morning, and now that they are set, they do not realise the "Flow" is just 100m away from the dam.

Once they realize what is happening, it's too late. the water rises too quickly, the large chunks of ice surround the canoe, sending them overboard.

Luckly enough for them there are lots of onlookers, and a island (now covered in ice and water) with trees, they abandon their fishing gear and canoe, and climb a couple of trees to safety. The onlookers call the fire department, and use their hovercraft to get them, 2 hours later, when water levels have dropped, and most of the ice has passed down river.

So I will defer fishing to watch the river, until it is safe!
But did they get their gear and canoe back?
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

But did they get their gear and canoe back?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, the canoe was wrapped around a tree.

And the gear followed the ice flow down river. I suppose some lucky fellow in Dunnville or Port Maitland may have found some of it...
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Petrie Tournament

Post by Seaweed »

Tournament is still on. 120 registrants already. Six inches of water at shore but can drive though on to the ice so car pooling is a plus. This info came from a phone call to the bait shop a minute ago.

This information pertains to Baitshop Bay only.

Lets hope the bite is on. :roll:

Other Bays?
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I'll probably either wet a line at the mouth of the Kwetabohigan River where she dumps into the Moose. (great spot at times for old marble eyes) ...OR... if the tides in at a reasonable hour I may try the mouth of Nicholson Creek where she trickles into the Moose. (might be a little late, but some friends were catching a few sea run brookies in the 20 inch range two weekends ago)
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sea run brookies

Post by JimW »

20 " Sea run brookies nice. Maybe the next Fish-hawk adventure should be Moose Factory!!??

Welcome aboard Moosebunk.

Any other details you can fill us in on about fishing up your way?

JimW
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

jimW

Hey Jim, I'll be honest, I don't like ice fishing much. If I was going out this weekend that's where I'd be headed though. Fishing thru the ice in the Moose is pretty hit and miss. It's also not any easier when the local hotspots are crowded with Status Card carriers. I fish two rods, my buddy Tom usually fishes 14. Although I think Tom sometimes wonders why I don't often head out fishing when he is. People up here have also been making the trek by snowmobile to Kesagami Lake and Netogami Lake. (65 miles SSE) Some reported catches last week were 70 some fish in one day, 170 some fish in two days, a pike at 22 pounds, etc. Although the Cree have no limits I was surprised to hear of responsible and considerate conservation. ie, Paul caught 70 walleye and kept 5, while Tom, his brother and a friend caught 170 some and kept about 50. Yellow, chartreuse and white jigs, as well as silver spoons, are a must when ice fishing this area. Tipping the hooks with Moose meat, sucker, liver or dace ups the odds even more. Walleye, pike, specks, ling, whitefish and sturgeon are the species most often fished. And thanks to global warming, at least one smallmouth seems to be caught annually now in the summer and dropped off at the MNR office. Strange to think the Belugas and Seals that frequent this river in the spring and fall may one day be feeding on bass. Anyways summer fishing and tactics is a whole other reply. Any questions just ask. Later