Good spot (shore) for musky fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Good spot (shore) for musky fishing

Post by OBD »

Hello all

I would like to catch my first musky from shore, but I don't know where to go. Would any of you have suggestions for a good musky spot not far from ottawa? Please reply by PM or reply if you want.

Thanks alot!

Nodie
Muskie_legend
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie_legend »

I've heard good things about the stretch of the Rideau near billing's bridge but haven't caught anything on two attempts. Try the chapman mills conservation area off of prince of wales drive near barrhaven. I had a big muskie break my line there a few weeks back when i was fishing for bass. I was using a little trout sized williams spoon. Since then I've been going back there regularly and casting bigger spoons but with no luck.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Muskie_legend wrote:I've heard good things about the stretch of the Rideau near billing's bridge but haven't caught anything on two attempts. Try the chapman mills conservation area off of prince of wales drive near barrhaven. I had a big muskie break my line there a few weeks back when i was fishing for bass. I was using a little trout sized williams spoon. Since then I've been going back there regularly and casting bigger spoons but with no luck.

I live right accross the road from the chapman mills concervation area, and I too had a nice lunge break me off just over a year ago. Other than that, the biggest thing I ever caught there was a 3lb smallie. In the summer there's tons of little bass, but never anything substantial (that I've caught).

Nodie, I pm'd you.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

If you do want to catch lunge off shore.... do not go with anything less than 50lb test braid a good stong leader(160lb fluoro) and a heavy action rod. These fish are beasts and if they go for cover and you have anything less..... good luck mon ami!

Cheers,

Rich
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

been told the rapids at black rapids are good.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

I hooked into musky many times while fishing for other species in the town of Arnprior, on the Madawaska right near the first/original boat launch and across the river behind the hotel. Right near the first little dam under the main bridge in town. Lots of shore, lots of species.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

MonsterRelease wrote: ....do not go with anything less than 50lb test braid a good strong leader(160lb fluoro) and a heavy action rod.
....the proper equipment is most important when targeting muskie. :)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Buzzer wrote:I hooked into musky many times while fishing for other species in the town of Arnprior, on the Madawaska right near the first/original boat launch and across the river behind the hotel. Right near the first little dam under the main bridge in town. Lots of shore, lots of species.
yep. there's definatly muskie there. i remember going there early one morning and seeing a pair of huge ones cruising just under the surface about a foot off shore.
never caught one there myself, though. just cats, walleye and the odd bass.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Just came back from there last week and although I was skunked(AGAIN) musky virgin I am...my buddy pulled three in from the bridge in Arnprior and a few catfish. But they were all around 4lbs to 5lbs. Did see one about 40" or so lurking around that area.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

Carleton U is a good spot under the Dunbar Bridge caught a monster there in the 70's over 50'' make sure u have good line and boots and hang on for the ride :roll: :roll:
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

All good spots and great advice on making sure you have the right gear. Just as important however is the landing part. Landing them on sure is quite difficult without harming the fish. Lots of these places are lined with rocks, please dont pull them onto the rocks. Instead look for a shallow sandy or grassy spot where the can be "beached" and unhooked quickly.

Please respect these great fish.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

The Cumberland ferry always has a few floating around. It used to be nuts, seeing them feeding, back when the Ferry would play host to a huge school of emerald shiner every fall. Haven't seen the school in 10 years but there should still be a few muskies floating around.

Manny