Gettng Ready to Ice Fish but ????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Gettng Ready to Ice Fish but ????

Post by Kenny »

I think I am going to really give ice fishing a try this year. So far my plan includes the following:

Going to concentrate on Constance Lake
Manual Auger 6" (Brand?) since advice on this board suggets that this is large enough for even a large Pike to get through and easier to drill.
Tip up(s) that cover the hole. It appears some will even jig the bait by wind or battery power.
Bait (suckers, minnows, store bought hearing? etc...)

I hope that when the ice is thick enough (I understand that 12 inches is minimum) to drive out (4x4 truck) to try it out and see what kind of huts folks are using etc... or skidoos or ATV's to move around the lake with sonar etc...types of shelter being used and that sort of thing. Maybe one of those large buckets to sit on and leave the truck to move around a bit on foot and sit and jig using an ice rod on a nice sunny day.

Does this cover the basics or do I need an entire arsenal of equipment before I know if I even like it?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI kenny

whatch out for those tip up batteries operated,,,,,some model freez in cold weater..... :roll: ,there tip up for summer..... :lol:

read in all those ice fishing site you will lurn a lot about deferent models...

good luck in your shoping......... :wink:

you dont need mutch,,,,,,,,,,but you will get hook like all off us,,,in the patern and get all the toys...... :roll: :lol:

you got pm's.... :roll:

joco
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Kenny just curious as to why Constance Lake? Are you in the area?

A little further to the Ottawa, Constance or Buckham's Bay's opens up much more species to you! :wink:
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

u guys are so luckey..... ward water is very limited around my neck of the woods (windsor)... unless u can get out to the lakes (i cant) ur limited to merina canals for perch because the river dosent freeze safe.... count urselvs luckey
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

I have chossen constance lake since I understand it is a good pike lake. But I am open to suggestions for other locations?
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Its like any other fishing. You can get as complicated or as simple as you like. A line with a hook and leader with a minnow on it will catch you pike. They usually like to hang within a foot or two of bottom. If you target panfish small jigs ,minnows or teardrop jigs tipped with maggots. Simple lcd fish finders to the supreme vex for finding the fish depths so you target the right section of water. Hut to no hut to wind break..the list could be endless. Once you play around a bit you will learn your comfort level.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

I'd be careful with the 12 inch rule for a 4X4 truck...

We usually have so much snow that 12 inches is a mix of white ice which isn't as hard.

Rather be safe out there and do a little walking. Plus it's good for the heart :)
marlinhunter
Participant
Participant

Getting ready to ice fish

Post by marlinhunter »

I know not being from the cold last year the lake was a shock! and it wasn't supposed to be that bad last year WOW! The wind can blow!
got myself a hut this year and a small heater. Stay out longer more fish but, it is addictive I can say that, actually got something to look forward to in the snow. Never thought I would say that!
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

found this on ebay! wonder what it cost to construct it.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ice-Fishing-Hut_W0QQ ... dZViewItem
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I have been ice fishing for years and this is my advice( if you want to listen to it)... I ce needs to be at least 10" in my opinion to walk on it safely but it has to be "clean"..no top water or crusty ice. Next I would reccomend at least an 8" hole cause you do not want any excusses why the big one got away. I now have an ice hut 10x8 with a kerosene heater three wall hung wires with a 6-10lbs line on them.. Fish with jigs and minnows..Outside fishing is fun but very cold at times. To drive on ice is a personal call and a comfort call. I go on when it is about 20" i am sure it is safe to drive on. A portable hut is garbage in my opinion as it blows around in heavy winds and if plastic floors it becomes very slippery. Try fishing a few times in locations with many huts until you understand how ice works etc.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

I'll be new out there this year too, are propane heaters any good, i know they need proper venting of the flue gasses, any opinions?
x-Toban
Participant
Participant

Post by x-Toban »

That ice hut on e-bay cost approx $150 in new materials.
I've been building them and selling them in the past couple of years now and I find these are great little portable units for ice fishing.

Drop me a PM if you need more info.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:Kenny just curious as to why Constance Lake? Are you in the area?

A little further to the Ottawa, Constance or Buckham's Bay's opens up much more species to you! :wink:
WIG, not looking for specific spots :roll: :roll: but Buckham's vs Shirliey's bay ........... any opinion :wink:

Kenny, tons of hammer handles at constance, and perch.

A group of old friends and myself had a shack there for a few years .... lot of fun but not been for a few years now
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

matcolecat wrote:I'll be new out there this year too, are propane heaters any good, i know they need proper venting of the flue gasses, any opinions?
the Mr Heater Portable Buddy heaters have been popular. They'll shut off if the oxygen gets too low.

Constance Lake - guaranteed action, pike, perch and crappie. There are some good size ones to be found, but pike are mostly hammerhandles. I personally won't eat any of the fish from there, though. All the perch have worms - harmless but disgusting.
Grimace
Participant
Participant

Post by Grimace »

I couldnt agree with Joco more about the battery operated tip-ups. Everyone i have talked to about them has said the same thing. they suck.

Know the body of water and how it ices up very well before driving trucks on it. as it can be 12 inches some places and only a few the next.

Have a good season