Polar Therm Extreme Tip Up, How to use it?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Polar Therm Extreme Tip Up, How to use it?

Post by Kenny »

Ok I bought one of these things today a Lebarons, read the instructions and I am still a little confused.

I can drop down the arm with the spool, I can set the flag, but how do you set the spool so it does not freely spin, if a larger fish hits it how do you slow down the run, and I will assume you have to pull the line in by hand but what happens when the flag goes up and it takes you a minute to get to the tip-up?

There seems to be a clip which resembles a pen clip on the shaft above the spool, what is it ?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Kenny,

it's supposed to spool freely. When the fish hits, your flag pops. Usually as you approach you can see the metal "t" spinning. What a lot, if not all people do, is they gently grab hold of the line while it's free spooling, let it keep sliding until the fish stops, then WHAM! Set the hook!

Because there's no drag on these units, it has to free spool until you get to it, or the fish stops moving.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

Thanks for the response, as I am sure I will get used to it. But what about the clip that looks like a pen clip above the spool?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I think you're referring to the piece with a 90 degree bend in it, which has a loop at the end???

If that's what you're talking about, you thread your line through it. It's meant as a guide for your line.
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Would any of <a href="http://www.fish-hawk.net/index.php?page ... ">these</a> help? I don't think they talk specifically about the thermal one, but it may give you some idea of what you're looking for.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

never used the polar style but have used the windlass for many years and love it, can be a pain in ..... you know :wink: at times.
Thanx for the vid. link Bobber gotta get my tip ups down from the rafters :lol:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair