Ice Fishing Gear Update

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing Gear Update

Post by Kenny »

In an earlier post I had indicated that I am going to really try and ice fish this year, I brushed off some older equipment from a few years back and purchased some other stuff recently. So far I have the following:

1. Large Bucket with Internal Styrofoam Bait Bucket and built in Seat.
2. 2 Ugly stick ice fishing rods with cheap spinning reels
3. HT Polar Ice Tip Up with Dacron Line
4. Plano Hip Tackle Box mounted externally for gear such as jigs
5. 3 Sleeve type rod holders mounted externally to hold the rods
6. Mitchell Brusch N Rod (Stiffer for Walleye/Pike) w ABU 6500 C3 reel

Now for the last items I am looking for a cheap snowmobile and fish finder. From what I can see the "Vexler" is the one to go with?

I am going to go to Le Baron's for the Mazda Ice Fishing Seminar on November 16, 2006 to find out what the "Pro's" recommend as far as lures etc... but if any of you have any suggestions would love to hear from ya.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi kenny

nice to see your going into ice fishing big time,,,

way to go bud...... :P

will see at the seminar...

for sudgestion..........there tons off info in all the ice fishing tread.....

lures.....rappala jigging rap...glow and not

swedish pimple.......mr champs...etc...

look in the tread i start 3 days ago...or do a serch,youw ill find tons off info....

one thing.if you think your going into ice fishing a lot,ask santa for a flasher.... :wink:

but you can go realy basic to..............wood tip up.hook lines weight minnows and somthing to do some holes...and there you go,,,,,your ice fishing...

but you will see.its addictive.you will want all the ice toys.. 8)

joco
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Nice Kenny, your all set. Now you just need something to punch out a few holes :wink:
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Hey guys

Im also going to the seminar at 7 PM. Hope to see you all there :)

Nodie
JFish
Participant
Participant

Post by JFish »

Alright, don't want to start a big discussion on this but I would compare the vex and marcum units. I thought the Vex units were the best out there but I have researched a bit and read a bunch of reports on these units and now i'm not sure what to get. I might actually be leaning towards the marcum units now. Try to find something comparing the two so u can see what the differences are and what will suit your fishing needs. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase.

JFish
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

If you get a flasher, your ice season will be 10x more successful IMO

Vexilar and Marcum both good units, cant go wrong with either. Just shop around and see what suits you.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

BBRich wrote:If you get a flasher, your ice season will be 10x more successful IMO

Vexilar and Marcum both good units, cant go wrong with either. Just shop around and see what suits you.
Ditto :idea:
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

whats should one look for in a flasher?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

matcolecat........ :P

its kind off personnal....it depend what you want in a flasher.

if you want a movable zoom....in the water colon.........marcum lx5 or 3-2-1....or the new aqua vpg is your unit..

if you want just a flasher,,, to see fish,,depht,, they all do the work...but some might have probleme in cold condition,,,like some off the lowrance unit...( but this is what other people said in some ice fishing site)...could have change in the new models...

the majority around here have a vexilar...work great.
now we start to see some marcum unit...great to plus a movable zoom,,plus some little extra..
and this winter there a new unit call aqua vu vpg,,,,,,those the work,,,movable zomm,,,small,,supose not to freeze in colder weather,,,,and so on.

there is a lot off discution in some off ice fishing forums,,,that explane why that one more then an onother ones..etc...

and there is a lot off info in the new in fisherman ice fishing edition..

for the aqua vu new model...look here..

http://www.naturevisioninc.com/shop_nvi ... t=4&page=1

for those great vexilar look here

http://vexilar.com/

for the marcums great units to...

http://marcumtech.com/

for the lowrance unit....by the way lowrance those have some nice features,,,gps and all kind off stuff.but that is the one that might freeze in winter,but like i said before.....mabe they did change that,,i read about it and some people never did have a probleme,,,

just look at all off them,,,or better try some off them,,,and you will see what you want...

.good shoping

joco
Last edited by joco on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

Never heard of the "Other" unit, will have to look into this, but thanks for the heads up, now's the time to think, once the water is hard, time to act and live with what you got.