Shore Fishing - Petrie Island

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Clausewitz
Participant
Participant

Shore Fishing - Petrie Island

Post by Clausewitz »

A little bit of a late write up, but this fall a friend of mine and I took our kids shore fishing on Petrie Island. We took 4 kids ranging in age from 4 to 10 with enough rods and worms for the afternoon.

We stopped and parked at a lot just past the bridge and past the tackle shop. There is a foot path here where we could walk along to a series of quiet spots and cast in for the kids. We worked our way backwards along the point catching and releasing small fish and caught the most closest to the road at this spot:

Each of the kids caught at least one fish, small sunfish and bass - great excitement and for one of the kids it was the first time puting a worm on a hook. We fished bobbers and hooks, nothing complex. My daughter was especially excited with the anticipation of each catch. Bouncing around with her rod in hand and probably missing another six fish due to the movements of her hook.
Directions to Petrie Island from the MNR website:
Take Highway #417 east to the 417/174 split, continue east towards Orleans on Highway #174. After the Place D'Orleans Mall exit on Trim Road. Follow Trim Road north to Petrie Island. Boat Launch located at Petrie Island Bait and Tackle.
Extra plus is the help and advice from the tackle shop staff, now called the Oziles'. They also have a concrete boat ramp for public launching, and you can rent a small cottage there as a daily rental. http://www.oziles.com/

Interesting historical note is that the entire island was originally owned by the family that now runs the tackle shop/boat rentals and marina, they gave over the portion that is now the public beach to the city of Orleans in the 1980s. My family has also enjoyed that beach on several occasions.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Thanks,glad the kids had a good time :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Hey clausewitz

I know petrie very very well since ive been fishing there since i was 3 years old. That place is ok, but if you're considering going again, you may want to try the other side. I think the water may be fairly high at this time of the year, but in the summer, its an excellent place for small fish like sunfish.

Good luck!

Nodie
Clausewitz
Participant
Participant

Post by Clausewitz »

Hi Nodie,

Are you refering to the other side of the islands or just the other side of the road. It is very convenient to where I live and the kids get a kick out of the occasional fishing trip.

Clausewitz
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

The other side of the road. Not in the corner, before that. There's a long stretch of rocks and you can put a chair and whatnot if they're tired.

Good luck with the kids!

Nodie :)
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

I fished with the kids in the exact spot where that photo was taken.We also were able to get at least one to two fish per kid over about a hour. Was lots of fun. I will try the other side of the road as well, thanks for the tip.

But I would also suggest Blacks Rapids off the Prince of Wales. Go below the lock. My kids caught many bass and other fish off the concrete dock. There is a picnic area there s well. Up top where the boats dock is a small stream that enters he canal. No luck there myself, but have seen many others fishing there.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

never caught anything on the bottom there, but in that stream caught some carp
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Great report I like to see kids getting out for some fish
Clausewitz
Participant
Participant

Post by Clausewitz »

Thanks guys,

I'll follow up on your suggestions, shore fishing locally seems to really be the way to get my kids out. As well the ups of the catch and the patience to wait are good for them as well.

My hope is this will get the kids ready for a day on the lake in a boat.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi clausewitz

next spring.......come to see us at victori island.....you and your jids will hava a blast to get some nice cats..

some night we caught 50or more cats together...some big one to.

there is dows lake for crappies,,fun place to go wit kids.

there so mutch place you can fish frome shore wit kids....and catch tons off fish.

can t wait to see more report..

joco :)