WHAT WORKS BEST FOR MUSKY

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

WHAT WORKS BEST FOR MUSKY

Post by almontefisher »

I just wanted to know from the forum what you find the best for fishing musky. Do you prefer to troll or casting for them..What kind of baits to use etc. Any help and advise would be great. I have been fishing for them for two years now and nothing..maybe the suggestion would be to fish something else.haha
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

Welcome to the insanity we call Muskie fishing LOL :lol: :lol:
I would not trade it for the world :D You should come out to our Upper Valley Muskies Canada meeting in Nov we have a great guest speaker lined up and we welcome everyone . In fact we have a new member just signed up from carlton place . And i am sure you would learn something
Kert
Muskie Stalker
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Go to the Rideau and drift fish a sucker in 11' to 14' of water. Area around the 416 bridge seems to produce on a regular basis. I have had fgood luck trolling spinner baits as well. Sometimes on top and spmetimes I clip on a 3oz weight 30' up the line to get them down a little deeper.
duckman966
Participant
Participant

musky

Post by duckman966 »

hi,almontefisher i only fishin muskys from october until the ice so for those times you shoulded concentred you're efforts on deepers water instead of shallow water. troll slowliest than in the summer when the fish are very aggressive... tryed to find the bait fish you should found the predators....used some hard baits ....

i hope this helping you

duck
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

On the kawarthas I like to cast 1 1/2 oz spinnerbaits to docks and weed edges. Kind of like bass fishing with a lot bigger baits (and equipment).

My best day this year was 5 landed and 12 raised.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

BBRICh: that is a lifetime for me I think...five caught?? I have only see 3 in my life...well I know who I am going to ask fishing next year.

ORWL
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

I too have spent many hours. In the Kawarthas I would use a mini down rigger and get crank baits down to the 20' range and it seemed to get regualr hits in mid summer. I also sort of fish bass style, but with bigger baits, but much more aggressive then for bass. With top water baits keep throwing it, a ski maybe there and eventually get pee pee of and hit it, but don't give up after 20 casts, really work the area.

I also agree that down by the 416 bridge on the Rideau is very consistant but keep it for Fish-Hawkers or over use will destroy that area as well.

P.S develop a good back if you are going to cast regularly for these guys, it is hard work, I guess thats why bass fishing is so popular with the girls (Just Kidding Boys).
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

almontefisher wrote:BBRICh: that is a lifetime for me I think...five caught?? I have only see 3 in my life...well I know who I am going to ask fishing next year.
Yeah BUT they were kawartha fish, not huge. The two biggies were 40 and 42" and the smallest were 18" and 22" lol

Trust me I've had a few skunks too. :lol:
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

Almontfisher there are many variables when fishing musky. This time of the year I would almost forget about casting unless you can find very green vegatation. I like to troll at a moderate speed over the break line with a lure that will go down about 15 feet. But as I said there are many,many,many variables and not enough time (in a lifetime) to talk about them all.
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

there is a still a good place for casting right now. Try drop offs and weed edges, green weeds and deeper weeds will still hold fish for the same reasons they would in the summer. Look for baitfish in open water as well... slow down your trolling speed and make sure you hooks are razor sharp. Muskies are Apex predators so they will be in any good spot on any given body of water. Pick up a good map...
as for the " bridge" its no secret but giving specific spots on the net will only make fishing get worse. If you use sucker rigs please make sure you are using quick strike rigs or circle hooks. Do not let the fish swallow the bait and have all proper release tools handy
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

I agree with slowwing the trolling speed in fall, in summer, between casting, I would troll quickly at 5 mph. I used a GPS to fine tune the speed, but it does not have to be exact. I think the theory on the fast speed is to get the musky to strike, much like a human catchs an egg. It works on its instincts to move quick or lose.

The big bait I think is do to least amount of work for the greatest reward, in that I mean, catch one big fish and be full all day or chase smaller bait all day and never be really full.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Well as for catch and release I have only kept two fish in my 20+ years of fishing and only because 1) It was my first rainbow and it was a perfect size and my father enjoyed it and 2) That laker you see on my posts did not survive after the fight( I was alone and it took to long to net by myself... lesson learned) to release it and I was pretty upset about it cause it was a real beauty. Other than that I do not eat fish only fish for relaxation and enjoyment of the outdoors...and to get away from the wife..just kiddin honey. If I was ever to catch a musky I would only take a pic or two but never keep such a beautiful fish.

ORWL
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

Oh yes and rule of thumb is all colours work well, so long as it is black. But that is a whole other discussion.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

What about the bigger the lure the better...is this accurate or just a myth??

ORWL
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

oops
Last edited by Lookinforlunkers on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.