Nov19 small update hardwater weekend adventure

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Nov19 small update hardwater weekend adventure

Post by Bear »

Nov 19 update ...... question really

I've talked to a couple outfitters today and listening what was said, my question is ........ Is there anyone interested in becoming a bungalow captain ....... basicly put up the cost of the reservation. The one I really like is a 300.00 per bungalow deposit ...... I have no problem with one
but it sure adds up when 2-3 or 4 are needed
Let me know please
Bear

saw Ynot's thread about temagami ice bungalows, saw several ad's in the Mag's 2-4-6-8 man bungalow any where from $135.00 tp $175.00 pp for a weekend on th ice.

i think the best places may be north of here ........ nipipising or temagami

4/5 hour trip from here, any closer may bring ice instability :?: and only seen other ads from simco ...... big derby was cancelled last year if I remember right :roll:

I have never done this before but would like to try, looks like a cool (no pun intended :wink: ) trip.

if there is enough interest i'll try to get it off the ground
Last edited by Bear on Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI BEAR.

this could be a great ideal... :P

might not be a full weekend.....or mabe it coudl be..

as the season advance we could talk about it.

its somthing i always want to try.....

joco
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

these bungalows book pretty quick Joco from what I hear so I kinda hope i'm not toooo late :roll:

How did I know you would be the first toooooo reply

Must have ICE IN YOUR VEINS BUD :D :D

Bear
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i can t remember the name off the guide that was here on the site last winter,,he had some great picture off whitefish and he had some argo in the background.....??

i dont no if he did had those bongalo,,but thos whitefish did look nice,,,,,,,,,,,,, :P

joco,
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

I would be interested, :D :D :D
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

If you think you could arange something, I would be interested, The only time I know that I could not go is the first and second weekend in February, other than that, would love to try it out.

Just so you know, I snore and fart all night, no need for heaters.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Bear, Jackel and I were just talking about this very subject and we want to go do this sometime this winter so sounds like a good idea if we can work it out.
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

Hey Kenny who said anything about sleep,fish fish fish :lol:
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Here is a thought...If enough people want to go on this thing as I think I might we should set up a little Fish-Hawk member only tourney...We all put in $10 and whoever has most fish or biggest fish takes pot. What do you all think of this...If not that is cool as well but I would go either way.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
ynot
Participant
Participant

Post by ynot »

To give you guys a sample of what you are missing if you haven't tried the bungalows, check out this report from my trip up to Nippissing with the guys. I took the post that Aaron wrote, since he had all the digital pictures. That was before I had to get my own digital camera. Anyway, enjoy, It's an awesome time!

"I had a great time up north fishing out of an ice cabin on the weekend, and so did the other 5 guys on the trip (We rented from Sunlit Bay Cottages). There was Tony, Matt, Johnny, Brad, Terry and myself. It was a huge ice cabin, it had a full stove, sink, washroom, kitchen table and 6 bunks. And we all had room to move around... except when I had to go to bed (which wasn't often), as I got screwed with a top bunk... you B@$$#&%&'s! :mad: I had about 24" to the ceiling. They even made poor Brad climb onto the top bunk with cracked ribs! :eek: He was a sport coming out, so we made him laugh as much as possible... sorry Brad, but the look on your face every time you winced as you laughed was priceless. :rolleyes: I had cracked ribs once and all my so-called friends did the same to me.

The fishing was good, except the walleye. We only got a few walleye and lost a few all weekend, which was dissapointing. :( It's a good thing the herring and perch were really active and kept us busy. We even got a couple pike in the cabin. We all jigged in the cabin and took turns clearing the holes for the tip-ups outside for the most part. I took along my Humminbird Matrix sonar, and the other guys soon realized that I had a huge advantage and cried foul! I was good about it though, and gave up my hole with the Humminbird sonar to let everyone rotate around the "hot seat" so everyone had their fare shot at getting into numbers of fish and watching fish come up to hit their lures.

I caught lots herring over the weekend, as did everyone else. I was surprised to see how large they were and how scrappy they fought on lighter tackle. I really enjoyed the herring when they moved through in schools, and there were several double headers on them. They hit well on Williams Whitefish and Jigging Rapalas all weekend, and several of us caught our first herring this trip, including myself. :)

We got into many perch, including some jumbos. Most perch hit on the tip-ups, but we got many in the cabin as well. They hit well on Williams Whitefish and Jigging Rapalas as well. Tony caught the first pike on a large Williams Whitefish, which was a bonus. :D I caught a smaller one on a smaller Whitefish. Larger lure, larger fish applied this time.

It was odd that we were not getting into herring at all during the weekend outside the cabin, just jigging inside... until Johnny the tip-up king got two on tip-ups outside near the end of the trip. Johnny manned the tip-ups more than anyone, and got more perch than anyone as a result. It was very cold out most of the time, so clearing the holes was a task, but Johnny stayed on top of it, even when everyone else was napping! Johnny wanted to maximize his jigging efforts inside while dealing with tip-ups, so he rested his rod on Tony's belly while he snored away. :p This resulted in a very nice jigging motion, so Johnny was happily manning the tip-ups again. Unfortunately, he only got one bite on the Tony-snoring-rod-jigging technique, and he missed it.

At one point, I decided I had enough of being inside during a warming trend and punched several holes with my Fin Bore III Normark auger. It was a bit of a chore, but the quality of the auger helped as there was about three-feet of ice. The auger was burried up to the handle every time I drilled a hole! :eek: Everyone came out to jig outside, and we were the only guys outside of the cabin all weekend jigging away. Although we didn't get much jigging outside, it was nice to spend some time outside on such a beautiful day.

The cabin even had a TV, so we watched the Leafs game on Saturday night, and I jigged for walleye with a beer in hand while watching the game - what a way to watch the Leafs! :cool: I thought my jigging technique may have been helping the Leafs at one point, so I continued to jig. I stopped jigging to watch the last period, but I should have kept jigging, as they got stomped by Ottawa. We then proceeded to play poker, and Tony won the only game we played. We were all smoked from the hard-core fishing and fresh air, and we didnt' last another game.

Overall, I had a great experience on the hard water in the ice cabin. I would do it again.

We stayed at this motel the night before to get a head start

The oufitter took us out to the cabin in a green-house style contraption

Right away I was into my first herring

The sonar helped in knowing what the fish were interested in - note the perch along the bottom... the lure was the jigging motion just up from bottom

Cracked Ribs Brad gets to the cabin later and hits a nice jumbo perch

Cool boy Matt with his first herring caught on a Mr.Champ

And lucky Tony nails a really nice pike while I was out clearing holes

One of the many herring caught on a Williams ice spoon

Cool boy Matt :cool: (Hollywood) got into the first walleye on a Blue Fox rattle spoon

Terry gets his turn on the "hot seat". Every time someone caught a fish on the hot seat, they had to give it up

Johnny the tip-up king manning the holes at dusk

Owen came around to check on us often with the sled and offer us baitfish

Dusk was a beautiful sight on Lake Nippissing

The next morning I hook up with a smaller pike than Tony's

Cracked Ribs Brad gets his first herring at the hot seat and watched it hit his lure on the sonar

Terry the cook with his first herring on a Blue Fox rattle spoon

Tony with a typical herring jigged up in the hut

We all took turns intently watching the tip-ups from the large front cabin window

Lucky Tony gets a nice walleye just under the slot size

Tip-up King Johnny gets a nice perch outside on the tip-up of course

I drill a bunch of holes outside for everyone and almost can't make it through the ice as I buried the auger! (You're right Barry, I am too nice!)

Everyone out jigging and enjoying the nice day

I took the bird out with me to see what was going on... note the inactive fish along bottom that looked but DIDN"T hit my lure

All the boys fell asleep but Johnny and I mid-day... we caught lots of perch while the guys were napping. :cool: Cool boy Matt at least fell asleep while jigging... how did you hand onto that rod???

Terry the cook falls asleep and has to pay the price with THIS photo!

And Brad sound asleep too... too bad all you guys missed the pizza... snicker, snicker :eek:

The Tony-snoring-jigging-technique failed poor Tip-up King Johnny, despite his great efforts

And of course what would a Nippissing trip be without the famed mud puppy... I caught the only one of the trip

The last day of the trip, Johnny finally catches his first herring.. on a tip-up of course. And then gets another 5-minutes later on the same tip-up! :D

The tip-up King himself proudly displays his first herring of the trip

All the boys at the end of the trip get together for a picture. From left to right; Lucky Tony, Myself, Terry the cook, Tip-up King Johnny, Cool Boy Hollywood Matt, and cracked ribs Brad.

A great trip guys, and thanks goes to Tony for planning it all.

Aaron"

Cheers,
Tony
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hey ynot...........

this is not a report its a ADVENTURE....... :P

what a long and and great report..

ou make me go there ,like right now........ :roll:

thanks alot for show us that...........

joco......... :P :) :D 8)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Sign me up for some of that with a side of herring.snicker... :lol: I would fish that anytime.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Here's an idea. Why not BoQ or Simcoe??

Not as far, both have comfortable shacks (hopefully nicely located also??), cheap hotels rooms nearby, poker, pops, good eats.............

Same $$$, big fish, closer to home. Could see many PB broken, walleyes, lakers, whitefish, perch. Maybe poeple who just saw all the big walleyes posted recently but don't have access to a rig to get out there might consider this as an alternative???

Anyways, could be discussed on the 29th???

Manny
ynot
Participant
Participant

Post by ynot »

With day huts, you miss the morning, evening and night bites. :cry:

Tony
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

I got a feeling that with larger groups and maybe extra gratuities, many details can be solved :wink: :wink: .

But like I said, just an idea.

Manny