Quick Strike Rig, What is Legal ?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Quick Strike Rig, What is Legal ?

Post by Kenny »

I get the basic understanding of a quick strike rig for Pike, two connected treble hooks attached to to your bait, live or dead, then to a leader, then your line.

My question is from articles that I have read, must I have a spinner on the end of my leader, before the line, if I exceed 4 hook points (six if using 2 treble hooks) because it must be a lure? and what about jigging dead bait, can I use a standard weighted jigging hook, with a stinger treble attached to the rear of the bait? (4 hook points) without the spinner?.

Trying to fiqure out best way to set tip-up when ice fishing for pike and working jigs or spoons with second rod at another location.

P.S is chumming your holes legal in Ontario? and if I take two children, can they have 2 lines each as well?.

Thanks in advance.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Kenny,

Yes a treble stinger on a single hook jig is legal. Treble hooks are only considered to be "single" hooks on artificial lures. Keep in mind that if you add live/dead bait to your rig (i.e. worm harness, minnow on a jig, etc) it is no longer considered an artificial lure/bait and the four hook regulation is enforced.

Cheers,
Todd
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

so then i can only have one trebble and one single hook? :?