Tying Roe Bags

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JFish
Participant
Participant

Tying Roe Bags

Post by JFish »

Lately I have been trying my own roe bags but they seem to fall apart easily. Once they hang up on a rock they open up. When I buy the spawn bags already made they hold up a lot better. I use the spider thread, I think it's called that. I also use that plastic thing that helps you fill and tighten the bags so that you can secure them at the top. Anyways, is there a way of tying them so that they are more secure. I just wrap the top of the bag 5-6 times. Am I missing something?

JFish
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Spider thread (red-wing tackle) is still the best method to tie your roe bags. Experiment with the tension and the number of wraps. I have also tried the soldering gun method but felt that the hard plastic "weld" would be unnatural feeling to a weary steelhead.

Good luck,

Paul
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

roe bags

Post by boogie »

JFish, I wrap my bags at least 10 times, just to make sure they don"t open up.

Boogie
Poisson On !
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

I lived in Sault Ste. Marie until about 5 years ago. I used to spend hours on the St. Mary's river. I heard a tip since I left and havn't tried it yet. (You guys have probably heard of it)

I was told to mix a few artificial eggs in with the roe. I guess it makes the bag float off the bottom a little more, reducing the wear and tear from rocks and keeps the roe bag in front of the fish.

Do you guys do this? Does it work?

Thanks,

FromTheNorth
Dobbie
Participant
Participant

Post by Dobbie »

I stopped using the spider thread in lieu of plain old thread.
I wrap about 4-5 times then 3 half-hitches (easy and fast)
Sounds like you do not have enough tension on the spider thread, try 4-5 snug wraps then steadily increase pressure until it breaks off.
Kind of a feely thing, after about 1,000 bags you'll have it down pat. :)
JFish
Participant
Participant

Post by JFish »

Thanks for the info guys. Heading out tomorrow, I'll see if they hold better.

JFish
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

My father used some sponge in his bag to keep it a float a wee bit...as for tying off I remember him actually tying the bag to the hook as well to keep it locked up tight. HE would do his normal bag lock a few wraps around and then when he was putting on hook he would wrap the bag around the hook a few more times so half of the bag was on each side of the hook( almost hides the hook completely. It seemed to work well for him...as for me too lazy for all that effort so I go fake or pre made all the way.
steely5
Participant
Participant

egg sacks

Post by steely5 »

you may not be wraping your thread enough,minimum 10 to 12 wraps
works good for me,or plain old thread 2or 3 wraps 3 halfhitch your done