Fish Trap or Vexilar

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fish Trap or Vexilar

Post by Mike Lennox »

Hey all,

After looking upgrading my flyfishing equipment for my last 5 birthdays and christmasts, I think its time to upgrade my crappy ice fishing equipment.

I am in a small dilemma though.....I cannot decide whether to ask for a fish-trap personal ice fishing hut or a vexilar :roll: I would just like to hear everyone's opinions.

thanks a lot,

mike
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

VEXILAR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,way in front....... :wink:
(or any flasher)
jee you might need a fish trap a cople off time wen real cold,,,,,,,,,,,but the vex you will use it all the time,,, :P ,,,,,,,,,,,,cold or not cold.....or even in summer if you want..

my vex went out a lot last year, :P my fish traps never went out off my basement,,, :roll:

get a vex.my 2 cents,you will get hooked big time.. :wink:

joco
Last edited by joco on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Get the Vexilar

Post by Seaweed »

I would recommend that you ask for the Vexilar.

Then save your money and for about 115 dollars Canadian get a Pack Shack... perhaps the coolest new ice fishing item I have seen this year.

Cheap and really looks like it would work fine for a first time portable ice fishing shelter.

Here is a link to where you can check them out

http://setthehook.com/icefishing/shelters/packshack.htm

They are available local... check around.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

pack shack

Post by Graembo »

Those pack shacks are remarkably spacious inside (compared to what it "looks" like) I was in one on the weekend.
Just don't stand up on a windy day without it tied to something!
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

is it for a one person, or could a three yr old sneak in there too?
porthopesteel
Participant
Participant

Post by porthopesteel »

If you have a girlfriend definately get a fish trap I bought a yukon last year and I didn't get a single complaint about going icefishing she is actually looking forward to this season. Priceless. Other than that vexilars are worth their weight in gold.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

my 3yr old daughter keeps looking for ice in the backyard
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

Thanks all. I am definitely leaning towards the vexilar now. I do not have any idea how to use it though but I'll learn :shock:

I have two questions though. What are the advantages of an FL-18 compared to an FL-8? I am probably getting the Genzpack. Also, I know Lebaron sells them, but are there any cheaper alternatives other than Ebay?

thanks alot,

mike
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

YFF,

I'd recommend buying a fishfinder over a portable hut as your first order of business. I wouldn't care if it was an old hummingbird or top of the line Vexilar...you will notice an immediate difference to your catch rate if you are into drilling lots of holes and stay mobile. There are two really cost effective finders on the market now. They are made by Marcum and the Nature Vision (VPG). You'll do just fine with these lower end units. Then, once you master the art of interpretting the unit you can refine your techniques out of the wind in a new portable shack.

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
JFish
Participant
Participant

Post by JFish »

Geez, this is a tough one in my opinion. I guess it all depends on how much u plan on getting out and for what. If your going for perch u don't really need a vex for first or last ice unless your that bad of a fisherperson, lol. If your going for other species, especially during the middle of winter you might want to consider getting a portable hut. I know this is going the opposite way that everyone else has been going but when I think about it it makes sense.

Before I got my huts I was out a few times and my hands were freezing. Especially with perch on a cold day. In a hut you don't have to worry about your hole or line freezing up. You will be warmer, and heck, if you want to go for a little sleep you can, no matter what the weather is outside (something i have done a couple times and I won a tourney doing this last year, lol). If you plan on heading out far, like I said, don't have to worry about the weather so much, a big thing if you walk for an hour and it picks up out there. Remember that trying to fish while freezing your arss or hands off is not always fun.

Now let's see what u got with the vex. I guess you will be able to tell how deep you are, type of bottom and whether there are fish under you and where. Sometimes very valuable info, but, it depends when and what you are fishing for.

You might be able to fish only half a day with a vex but a whole day with a hut if the weather is miserable. However, you might catch more fish with the vex (if you're not fishing for perch, lol).

I will be looking at an aqua view and vex this year but trying to deal with that stuff in the wind, rain and cold sucks.

Although it may seem like I would say get the hut, what I'm trying to say is, figure out what you will be fishing for, how often, when, and what conditions might be like when you are fishing. Then you should be able to decide what to get.

You will know if you made the wrong choice this hardwater season :)

JFish
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

ratsotail wrote:YFF,

I'd recommend buying a fishfinder over a portable hut as your first order of business. I wouldn't care if it was an old hummingbird or top of the line Vexilar...you will notice an immediate difference to your catch rate if you are into drilling lots of holes and stay mobile. There are two really cost effective finders on the market now. They are made by Marcum and the Nature Vision (VPG). You'll do just fine with these lower end units. Then, once you master the art of interpretting the unit you can refine your techniques out of the wind in a new portable shack.

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
Ditto Jeff.

Just got a VPG from Ed at Paddletailes for $350 hard to get a flasher new for that price :shock:
http://www.naturevisioninc.com/shop_nvi ... t=4&page=1
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Flasher b4 Hut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

You will fish longer the more comfortable you are, besides use a good lake map, every year I see guys with these units all fishing beside each other. Look for them and save the $500.00. till next year.