Night time Walleye Poll?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Day vs. Night?

Night time rules, but can't see the rod tip or the jet ski's.
32%
Day time is best, sun tan and all.
15%
Dusk is the best bite on my lake for walleye... and Mosquitoes.
53%
Walleye are breakfast eaters in my neck of the woods...still can't get em' on jig and bacon.
No votes

Total votes: 34

nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

fishing for Walleye

Post by nighttroller »

Day and nighttime fishing are both good but the methods and areas for catching fish differ. Also, the dawn and dusk bite is hard to beat. However, I would say on clear busy lakes there is no better time to fish Walleye than at night and in general Walleye are more active at night. My vote is night... except BOQ in the fall!
Waldonator
Participant
Participant

Post by Waldonator »

I like alot of Waldo fishermen and women do catch more waldos at night. However, I am bound and determined that you can catch them in the day as well. As a good friend of mine once said "How often do you see Pro Walleye Tourneys held at night?". Food for thought I guess.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I have always thought night time...those Eye's have big eye's...light sensitive. that is why they stay deep and weeded during the day. At the same time bait fish are out of the weeds looking for thier food as they see better in the day time. At dusk the bait fish kinda back themselves into the weeds for cover because they can't see the predators coming...as they go in the walleye come out, so this is a good time to be nipping the top of the weed lines or be just outside of them. the reverse happens iat Dawn so another good time to get them. If ya want the bigger ones. Usually night time is the perfect time.....as they are looking for food!
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Our walleye fishing is in stained shield lakes. As a general rule, we fish the dawn (5-8 AM) and dusk (6-10) timeframes hard but we are more than prepared to wet lines when the weather impacts the time of changing light conditions. During the day (10-4), we'll either fish for lakers or for walleyes (low light conditions) or just take a break (grab a pop and a deck of cards). I haven't experienced the "bug issues" others have reported regarding night fishing - but then, we're out on a fair sized lake. Once on shore, however, there's usually a bit of a hussle to get to the quiet confines of a screened veranda.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Tomcat you've hit on a good point there. As mentioned in my earlier thread, I find fishing the daytime is great. The point you made being, fishing in "stained" or "low" light conditions. I find I do as well during the day for those reasons. Pick the right conditions and the Walleye are still there.

I will concede that the bigger fish are certainly more active in the early morning/evening hours but, don't pass up a good chance during the day there's no need too :!:
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D One of my bigger walleye came out of the Rideau by the 417 at 2pm. Overcast ,drizzle and 20c out. Just drifting a sucker on bottom. It was just over 10lbs..