canoe and kayak fishing people here.?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

I only have a canoe and like the other guys said, you can get into some amazing fishing that a motor can't. I think that a canoe is the way to go as long as you can stay out of the wind and away from the motors
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Those are def. factors, the wind can make an outing dismal, not to mention some pimple faced punk buzzing by you to impress his prepubecent (sp?) girlfriend.

Forgot who posted it, sorry, but they sarcastically posted some very good reasons why, it's a more a pro than a con....to use these smaller craft.

Make no mistake though....my back and @ss are not very pleased with me after an 8 hr. canoe fishing outing. :lol:
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

Joco, this past summer convinced me the SOT was the better choice. Self bailing and the increased primary stability was wonderful given some of the lousy weather we ventured out in. With a SOT, water entry and exits are simple. This provides you the option to get and wade in the shallow areas or unbeach yourself from the rocks. (Yes I did ground myself a couple e of times). With boots and dry top/pants I was out into October. We plan to return in early spring.

I find yak fishing very comfortable. Fishing for 8-10 hours hasn’t been a problem. .When you get a yak, be sure to get a rudder. It’s a handy accessory.

As you may have seen on the other board, I’m hoping to try muskie fishing from the yak next season. These are versatile fun boats.
Deckard
Participant
Participant

Post by Deckard »

Joco

Here's a link to something that might work well for fishing. A kayak that you pedal! www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_outback.html Watch the video on the site about how the mirage drive works - it's pretty cool - I'd love to see one myself. One hand on the rod and one hand free to land the big ones :D

Deckard
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi deckard...

nice ideal....................BUT i dont want to see those flaping thing under the kayak stuck into weeds........ :roll: ...or in very shallow water...

i think its to mutch gemik for me...............to mutch stuff that could brake. :?

i like the good old arm power.......... 8) :lol:

but hobie(company) do have some nice yak........ :wink:

thanks for the links.its always interresthing to see new toys... :P

joco
Noodle
Participant
Participant

Post by Noodle »

Joco,

Glad you brought up the subject. I love canoe fishing. The fish felt bigger from a canoe. Also, I find that if you live in the city, storing a big boat can be a hassle.

Although a canoe can access places a motorboat can't, there are also plenty of water bodies a canoe can not safely access.

Take walleye fishing for example. I am not aware of any small lakes or stream that holds fair walleye fishing. Maybe I just suck at locating them. Tried all summer and all I can get is a small sauger.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

noodle......

there is some local water that do hold some walleye and very accesible by canoe.... :wink:

you will get a pm soon for this subject..... :wink:

there is a lot off forums on the subject and some off them talk about fishing in the regions.......frome canoe/kayak.

you said in your response,,,,,,,,,place canoe can NOT safely access,,,,,,,,this is true because off none carefull boaters :? :x .where would it be,,,,???

because jee............there tons off people going all over the world in kayak,,,,,,,,on the oceans etc and some in realy big waters....take a look at the forums on kayak fishing,,,there almost all in oceans....

but you are right,,some place could be a bit more dangerous,,,,like ontario lake or should i say all the great lakes,,,,but there even in those lakes good bays,,,,that hold a lot off fishs.

BUT around here all rivers and lakes are pretty accesible frome canoe,,,,,,,all rivers....ottawa/gatineau/nation/rouge/coulonge/etc etc etc.

we just have to be a bit more carefull..in high winds. and where those boaters are not carefull.

I WOULD LOVE TO START A CANOE/KAYAK fishing club here in the region...local club,,,,,,,,and have are own outhing etc.

joco. :D
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

Great Idea on the club, Count me in
Noodle
Participant
Participant

Post by Noodle »

Me too!

Let's see.. scary water for canoe this season....
1 - Spring time on the Ottawa R. Getting lots of hits on my fish finder but the wave was too strong on a windy day. Ended up have to portage 1/2 km back to the car.
2 - Calabogie L. How bad can it be on a mid size lake? Not on a windy day! First time I got seasick in my canoe.
3 - Mid summer in the middle deeper part of Ottawa R. Not sure if it was a sudden wind gust or the speed boats racing down along the Hull side. All of a sudden, the water get so choppy it didn't feel safe to stick around.

Maybe next season I should target smaller rivers like Rideau and Nation.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Mostly I fish in a float tube but in the early spring and late fall when the water is cold, I fish in my Sportspal canoe. I had a cedar strip and canvas canoe but I ended up in the water leaning over one day trying to untangle my fly from a shore bush. I bought the Sports Pal from my son and I originally thought it was a rather odd canoe since it is a rowing canoe with two oar locks just like a regular row boat. But once I took it fishing, I found it ideal. With a regular canoe you have to put your rod down to paddle unless you have an electric motor but with the Sports Pal you can row with one hand and hold the rod with the other hand and so you don't miss the hit. It also only weighs about 30 pounds. Getting blown around can be a problem but that is the time to use an anchor.

I've had other boats and I have one gathering dust. Its a canoe or a float tube for me.

bobfly :D
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

for people that are thinking off gething a kayak or a canoe...for fishing

here one great type...

this is in my top choice for my next season.......

http://www.ruthlessfishing.com/NATIVE%2 ... Native.htm

i do like it its 1/2 kayak 1/2 canoe........good capacity...great stability..great choice i would think.. :P

for people that would like sit on top,,,,,,

here one more model i got in mind...

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/KayakPictures_BG.html

i do have a cople in mind but those 2 last ones are in my top spots..

can t wait to get one in spring,,,, :D and go find those perfect hide out spots, :twisted: .

joco :)
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

This should turn heads, I fished from a friends 3 seat jet ski in the summer. Sonar and all, hard to troll though.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I use my big boat,my scanoe and my canoe. I like the canoe for smaller bodies of water..ponds and small kettle lakes. I plan to get a 12' car topper at BPS..looks like it will handle two people for smaller areas and then put my 2hp on it. When fishing with the canoe I found I caught more fish when I anchored. Instead of the wind drifting me all over I was able to work an area in a more thorough manner. No kayaks in the future for me..can never tell who is fishing for who . :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

GREAT picture salmon....... :shock:

the shark think its a little yellow rapala,,,,,,, :roll: :lol: .

i think the guy in the kayak must smeel bad in is pants,,,,, :roll: :lol: :lol:

joco :)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

for people that are more canoe kind..

this company make some great fishing type....

they have tons off accesories etc.

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/IQ.php

joco.