canoe and kayak fishing people here.?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

canoe and kayak fishing people here.?

Post by joco »

I was just thinking and reading again....about the subject.

i do think a lot about gething rid off my big boat,and get a fishing kayak and a little cartoper.....for small rivers and small lake,,and even on the local rivers no probleme.....

for myself ,,,,i do like smaller boat.a lot least off troble,and i can t get where i want to go,,,,,,whit that 1200pounder,,,,, :x .

just go wit the flow in a kayak or canoe is so relaxing...and can go where no one helse would think going wit those BIG BOAT.

it more a personnal choice........big boat are fun,fast,,,,,but not sher its for me anymore,,,,,,,,wll see in spring.

so is there anyone helse here that as a passion for kayak /canoe fishing..........?

i am still in the process off gething a fishingkayak,,,,its been months,,i am a slow kind off guys wen it come to get toys... :roll: ,,i love to shop around and look a lot,,,dont want to get somthing i dont like and there is not that mutch kayak for larger persons,,,but i tell you there is more and more for us ..........

for people that might be interrest in some past tread i had about the subject.........or have some link or great topic about kayak/canoe fishing.......it would be nice to see some response about the subject...canoe/kayak fising...

ex........what would be the kayak you would get to fish or what kind off canoe you would get or already try etc.......

here some past tread..
http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic ... ight=canoe

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic ... ight=canoe

here one s off the model i am looking for .....to get in this winter or spring..

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/KayakPictures_BG.html

those kayak fishing are becoming a big thing in south,,,it would be nice to have that kind off kayak fisherman here localy would be fun...

joco
Last edited by joco on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

FOR people that might be interrested in seeing some kayak rig for fishing.....here a great link.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/galler ... php?menu=2

OR to see some action(fishing in kayak)

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/gallery_ka ... php?menu=3

joco
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Before I found FH, Joco, I was stranded fishing at the bank or in a canoe.
Now since then, I've fished on many fine watercraft but you're right about one thing...you can reach places other boats wouldn't even dare to try.

Both are great and have there pro's and cons...personally, for myself, after all these years...I've got to admit, it's nice to have the room to stretch and move around without worry of going for a swim. :lol:

So, I really do love fishing in a larger craft but the kayak and canoe do have their own appeal.
Nemo
Participant
Participant

Post by Nemo »

Joco, i've done alot of fishing from a canoe and some from a kayak. I have to say my biggest thrill was sea kayaking off Vancouver Island and fishing for coho. I rigged up my own system for a fraction of the cost of what you can buy and then went out for some fun. Caught some salmon and lots of cod and some smaller halibut. As for canoe fishing I am a canoe trip guide and have had some of my best walleye fishing (even mid summer) on rivers that you can't access by boat. It takes a bit to get your balance and be able to manoevre how you want but once you've got the confidense you can do alot.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Kayak fishin' is awesome.......especially on smaller waterways where the bigger craft can't go!

......and ya don't really need one o' those high falootin' fishing 'yaks :lol: ......yer basic one'll do.......some good deals can be had on used ones! :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Canoe fishin

Post by Jigs »

:P Nah, don't do it.

Hard on the arms and shoulders.

Cramped up for hours at a time.

Getting swamped by twits in boats.

Wind blows you all over creation.

You won't like it.

Too crowded.

You have to fish all by yourself in places others can't get to and say g'day.

It's too quiet being in a little stream all alone with no PWcrafts or bassboats zippin by.

You have to be alone with your thoughts for hours at a time.

You catch too many fish.

Birds land on the end of your canoe/fishin rod........(happened)......terrible experience.

You're continuously looking over your shoulder to make sure you weren't followed to the honey hole.

If you were followed and he/she has a fish hawk hat on, you have to drown him/her as your private spot will be written about again and again on fish hawk.

Put a big sign........."I'm not going fishing" on the rear bumper of your vehicle.

All this stuff you'll have to contend with.

Not worth it.

Stay home.

:wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI JIGS....

IT sher must hard to get all those fish....and be alone in the perfects spots.....and get all that wild life going around you....must be very bad........ :roll: 8) .

the worst part,,must be hard not to have to go on a boat lountch or pay to lountch or to pay for hight premiuim insurance or high gas price,,,or to carry those big trailer,,,to not able to go in deap wood lake spot etc,realy must be hard to do able to do those,,,
8)

the more i think about it the more i see only good thing about it..

its true like KPIN said big boat ,,more space etc.....faster...but there is a lot off not good stuff about it....

bowzog,,,,,,,this is great outfit you got there,,,plus nice bass , :wink: .

joco
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Friends of ours have a private lake, and we often Bass fish there, either out of canoes, or a peddle boat, lake is small enought you can go all over, and the peddle boat leaves your hands free to fish, not that i would want to be fishing the ottawa or rideau in it! lol
jtown82
Participant
Participant

Post by jtown82 »

every year about a week before Bass ends we grab our canoes and head up to the Madawaska. there is not another person on the river besides me and 4 friends. we fish all day and run the rapids and the last 2 years have been catching not fishing. lol if it wasnt so damn uncomfy id never fish any other way :lol:
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

Hey Joco,

This is a funny topic for me, I've been debating the opposite for the last 6 months. Should I buy a boat and stop fishing from my canoe? I've never owned a boat, I've only been using a canoe for the last 20 years.

Reading this thread, I think I'll stay with the canoe for one more season.

There are so many pros to using a canoe... quiet, one person can carry it, go anywhere, cheap on gas :lol: , there's nothing like paddling through the fog in the early morning headed out fishing, more wildlife(although, circling loons can be a problem) and most of all... see/catch more fish. I glided right over an 8+ lb smallmouth this year.(Like I said, SEE/catch more fish,)

The downfalls are there, but they make the experience an adventure.
-Reallly sore "BUM"
-Windy days suck
And worse of all, cramped. I had never even broken a rod until this year, but on a windy day on the Ottawa River, I knocked my second rod(not in use) into the water as I was setting the hook with the rod I was using. Because it was so windy I couldnt stay on top of the rod and it sank to the bottom.

All in all, I love canoe fishing, I've started using a trolling motor over the last couple of years, There's no where you can't go. I can use that thing for 6 hours straight with no problems.

FromTheNorth
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Hey Joco I fish for trout all summer long by canoe, hit alot small to medium lakes that you will never get a chance to fish with a large boat.
Nobody is in my sweet spot and I dont have to tread through alot of garbage, and sceenery is post card perfect. If your lazy like me a small electric motor and battery will push your canoe all day. If you plan on hiking in pick up something light. There are some back lakes with major bass and they may have only seen 1 or 2 anglers in whole year.
Worst thing about this type of fishing will be the urge to go again and again.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi frome the north...

i would not get rid off my canoe if i was you...........there so mutch fun.

mabe a little cartoper and a kayak or canoe.......its nice to have a little car toper a 12 footer or 14 footer,,,light and a small kiker.....

but those big boat are somtime a pain ..... :? ,specialy iff you dont use them mutch...jee i use my princraft 17 footer/80 merc.......4 time this year....... :? ( out off 126 fishing outhing. :shock: )(truth).

i am big time into shore fishing........cats/carp all kind off species. and want to go in some smaller lakes etc..

but its not for all...........it could be a bit hard to fish ontario lake or b,o,q in canoe........ :roll:

but for a lot off people it the way to go by choice or because off budget.

i just found that way off fishing,,,,,,,,way more fun and you are more direct wit nature.........but this is my 2 cents...... :o

there is so many place that are accesible by canoe or kayak only.....and full off fine fisheries.

would be nice to read some adventure in canoe or kayak...

I do not say big boat are not fun or not usefull,,,,,,,,they are....but somtime its not what we need ...it north worth all the troble, of all the expense,,remember big boat have a lot off stuff to be done evey year on them and insurance to be payd etc...

every people have there own need.

i am just saying,,,,,,,,,kayak/canoe is a realy good way to fish and travel around in smaller lake rivers to fish wit and dont have to get broke or have to pay for a long time(somtime 15 years or longer)for somthing that you wont use mutch (if you dont use it mutch)....its just somthing to think about before gething those huge boat..... :? :o

plus YOU can get a realy good kayak/canoe for the expense off one year off big boat,, :shock: :? ,,somthing to think about,,,,,,,,,,plus that canoe,,if you take care off it will be still great in 20 years...dont need a tune up,,,,,or winteriz etc....just more good thing about it..

one more thing its good for the environment and your health.... :wink:

nothing beat a little family canoe outhing........great way to spend quality time to....wit the childrens...etc.

joco
Last edited by joco on Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

The canoe is great fo those hike in place too, there are some large fish in em!
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Joco,

your plan sounds right for the kind of fishing you do. a canoe for backwater lakes and a cartopper for slightly bigger lakes where a motor is handy for getting around maybe you can sell the big boat and get enough cash for both a car topper and some left over for some new tackle. :) You can also get an electric which you can use in both boats so paddling not such a big deal in your canoe.

I have a big boat and I use it but often i'd like a car topper too so I could get out to some smaller lakes I can't get the big boat into.... I also get out canoe fishing a few times in the year, mostly algonquin park (where your motor boat is mostly useless) but I don't own a canoe... i borrow my brothers canoe :D have to get my own soon, too inconvenient to pick up and drop off his canoe all the time ... If I had my way, I'd have all three, big, cartop and canoe...

One thing i do find is the canoe can get uncomfortable for my back... while the big boat.. heh. seats go down and a nap is not out of the question :)

the other drawback for canoe is wind, especially by yourself... get blown around pretty good...

good luck
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi jsdx..

first thanks for response...

right now i have big boat,3 canoe and a cartoper(not in shape)... :roll:

but did you took a look at kayak fishing,the new kind,,,,,,there so cool ,,and there made for fishing,,,and there very comfortable,,there seats are well made well shape for comfortable seating.

ALL choice are good,,,,,its a personnel choice ,,,its what the best for your needs.... :D

its just somthing that people should think about ,,one more type(way) off fishing.

there a cople here on this site that have some kayak for fishing,,and they seems to have some success and like them.

i am still in the thinking,,,,,what i will get as a kayak,,,,,,,a sit inside or a sit inside......just not sher yet.

joco