canoe and kayak fishing people here.?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

I started out with a Scott Wilderness Canoe as I don't want to attempt pulling a boat for economical reasons... (gas, storage, vehicle upgrade etc...)

I love my canoe in the smaller lakes but the wind, (waves in particular), can be a problem on the bigger water.

So far I have added the following to my canoe and it's made life easier. (I get to fish more)...

1. Minn-Kota electric trolling motor (Maxxum 36 lbs thrust variable speed, love the variable speed! Saves on the battery too I've been told)
2. Motor Mount... "cats butt" is the comment I've received... bought it from Ottawa Valley Canoe beside the old HWY and Mississippi River. Not sure of the brand.
3. Eagle Cuda 128 fish finder (takes 8AA batteries but they last a long time, display is not great but it's portable and only costs about $150.00)
4. Marine Master battery... the biggest one I could find and in a day I can drain it no problem.

Things I've added that I would recommend against

1. Anchor with 50 feet of rope... (50 feet of rope is overkill and just leads to more tangles). Next will be a shorter rope
2. "Battery Powered Running Lights". Ok I love fishing for eyes and at dusk/night.... problem... bugs love the light too and the rear one sits just above my head! :oops:

I want to add some stabilizer floats that extend off the sides of the canoe. Any suggestions of a local vendor would be much appreciated as I don't want to buy them on-line if possible. Rumor has it a guy in Aylmer used to make them? I need them as the stuff in my canoe is now worth more then the canoe and if I strap everything down I'm speculating that the canoe will sink, gear and all.

Buzzer
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi buzzer.....

I do to looking for stabiliser for my canoes now.....

there not hard to do¸yourself....

but not sher i want to do some.

here a link for internet canoe/kayak accesories site

http://www.canoegear.com/catalog/home.php?cat=53

the have all kind off stuff.....

i did look around last summer localy for some and did not had any sucess.....

a guy in aylmer,,,,,,,,,,wow........mabe.interresthing.

joco