Crazy....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Post by Kenny »

Never thought of that, will have to try. I was thinking on the weekend to do some shore fishing as I am sure pike at least are in the shallows.
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

Who's talking sunfish? the lads have been fishing off the docks and the floating house and have been bringing in walleyes every time. Average weigh 3-4lbs and a few in the 5lbs range....

Oziles'
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Now that's a sales pitch!.....There ya have it fellas....head down to Petrie....3 and 4 pounders every time...some 5's....
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would guys be risking their lives to crawl out on 2-3 inches of ice to catch a few 6 inch bluegills when they could be filling their pails with 4 pound walleye fishing from the dock?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Have you ever tasted a good crappy fillet Taylor?
Duck Gunner
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Duck Gunner »

Seems to me I heard tell of a guy catching a 5lbs. Wally a while back... :shock: :shock: :shock:
If I recall correctly, he was using a jig and corn down at the culvert there...
Though I think somebody else said it was cream corn. :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
Just can't picture how to get the cream corn on the hook though... :x :? :x :?

DG. 8)
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Brought the son and nephew down to Constance Lake in Kanata to check out how the ice was coming along on Sunday afternoon around 4 pm, as we were in the neighbourhood.

The boys thought we'd be ice fishing for sure when they saw two other guys already out on the ice fishing :shock:

I told them that we'd wait and if we're lucky we'll get out on Boxing Day like last year.

I'm guessing the 2 fellows out on the lake were Hawk Talker fishing fanatics :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Seabass nailed a beauty 8lbs walter at the culverts the other night :shock: :wink:

Taylor ''Why would guys be risking their lives to crawl out on 2-3 inches of ice to catch a few 6 inch bluegills when they could be filling their pails with 4 pound walleye fishing from the dock?''

Because it is all apart of the thrill :D The guys who were out on the weekend would not dare step on ice that was not safe..Besides that they were prepared for any mishap that were to occur and proceeded on with every safety measure.(rope to waist via tree, ice pics, floater suit)...

Now, seeing orrsey out there on Sunday night freaked me out :shock: :P There must have meen 2'' in most spots by night..
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

hhhhhhhhhhummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Last edited by muskymike on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Musky Mike if they all had survival suits, ice picks and ropes tied off to trees, the worst that can happen is they get wet.

It is not for everybody, if somebody doesn't want to do it then he doesn't do it. But don't go around and start saying that these people are stupid. If they took all safety measures like ropes and going 2-3 guys, there is nothing wrong with taking a bit of a chance of getting wet. I was on the ice Friday morning, I first checked the ice at 8:00am and there was no way that I was going on it by myself. And I had surv. suit, ice picks and ropes. So I was heading back home, then I met a couple of buddie's and they said that they were going to check it out. So I turned around and went with them. Being 3 we could back each other up if anything happened we had 3 ropes tied off to trees and anytime we moved to a new hole we just brought the ropes with us. At one time I was drilling a hole and I watched the crack in the ice go from one side of the bay to the other. But somebody could've been scared to hell by that, I laughed. Yes I was taking a chance but being backed up by 2 buddies I felt safe. Like I said before, the worst that could've happened was that I got wet.

But all in all it was good morning of fishing and I really enjoyed the crappy snack I had Friday night.

So if you wanna call me stupid please do it on a PM, and I'll make sure that my response gets back to you by PM.

And if you don't like my answer!!! Check My Avatar!!!!!!!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

O.k. people..I agree that these guys are almost safe...I have broken thru ice before and one thing you cant count on is current...I was swept about 10ft under the ice and it was very scary...now I remained as calm as you could be after falling thru but unless you know the direction you drifted you could go the wrong way...Yes there is a rope but it only takes a few seconds of cold water to make you gasp out all air...and then what??? The rope drags your limp body out of the ice...I say be patient and wait until Jan...You know the saying" why stop fishing now cause there will be plenty of time for rest when I am dead"...Well guess what...You could be...What do you have to gain from going out on the ice so early??? Yaaa... I was out on the thin brittle ice early I win.??? No you loose...I will win when you are gone and I am still fishing safely...Again we have younger people on this site and that is just not smart advise to give " Hey they had picks,rope,surv. suits so all is good. Do not be silly guys be pateint.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Whatever!!!!!!!!!!! you don't want to go on!!! Don't go on!!!!! Just don't call somebody stupid because he went on. I felt completely safe and so did my 2 buddies.

You might think it was unsafe, but were you there ?? No you weren't.

If u wanna compare the accident that happened to you and the conditions that we were faced with then go ahead. But the one major component in your accident and where we were is that there is no current there whatsoever. And yes i agree with you, if there was a current in Crappy Bay I would not have went on. It would've been unsafe.

So please lets put this to rest.

Hopefully will see you on the ice this winter.

When Hell freezes over!!!!!!
I'll be there icefishing!!!!!!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

ONE thing.......

there is a lot off people that did went there and did NOT had a rope or ice pick........

some was there alone far frome shore....... :?

people are responsible off there own act.....

if they consider its safe...........its there say....thats it.

but on thin ice...............a rope, some ice pick,,and not going alone is in the top preority,,,,,,,,,,,,,after a survival suit is a good ideal to.....

and to do whats going on under the ice like other said current.......

what is not safe to my eye could be for others..........and we have to consider weight off people............................my weight compare to some other,,,that those make a deference to.......

joco................my 2 cents.............

people just play safe........... :wink:

joco
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Walleyboss: Did not mean to get you mad but you are right about your own safety and concern but it is the fact that by having a post up here like this(I know you did not start this) you will encourage young people to try going on as early as possible...I am not one bit concerned that you were fully aware of the ice conditions as you are a seasoned ice fisher like myself and know the limits but it is not the type of message I think needs to be portriad here. Again I hope to fish with you and enjoy a good day(sorry for getting you upset) but I did not feel it was needed to explain as well but I have lost a friend to thin ice which he " thought " was safe. One last time I do know you are aware of your suroundings but please remember that kids follow what adults do but without thinking of consequenses or the situation at hand.

So I would love to ice fish in H*LL with you but I will be on Mississippi this year...lol.

Thanks for the discussion I love this stuff guys and gals...That is what is great about this site...People have opinions good or bad.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

My 2 cents,
think the concern shown for others in this thread is a good thng, if people didnt care about others then no one would say a thing, or no one would give ice updates. Like previously stated some people are more comfortable on thinner ice than others. When I was out, there was 3 inches of black ice and for me thats enough. I wouldnt venture a mile away but a little ways I am fine. I do check the ice very carefullt every short distance and I do carry ice picks as well as wear a floater suit. Again the concern is good and I dont take offence to it at all, as long as I am not called stupid. I am not stupid I have spent a lot of time on the ice and there has been many times where I have turned around and gone home because I felt it to be unsafe. Obviously ice thickness plays a part in safety but waiting till january where there is a foot of ice doesnt always make you safe either. Lakes get pressure cracks, have current which can make it just as unsafe if you stumble upon these things. I guess it comes down to knowing the body of water and your limits. I also say this out of concern for others this is not a back lash for the previous comments just my point of view.
orrsey