Crazy....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Crazy....

Post by Tip-up »

Just witnessed a few people fishing Crappie Bay aabout 5 minutes ago..I pretty sure one person had no rope and no floater suit while the other was fishing more outwards into the bay on the point and looked as though he was in a floater suit :shock:

I don't know how the heck they plan to get off as there is like no shoreline ice at all :shock: Hope they plane out safe :shock:
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Hope they make it off safely, cant be that much ice left since i was on it last!
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

especially seeing as its +4 out right now!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Ransome wrote:Hope they make it off safely, cant be that much ice left since i was on it last!
Yea really :shock: How much ice did you say was there? Something like 3'' ...There was a sheet of water on top of the entire surface, and hardly no shoreline :shock: No safe ice anywhere :idea: :!:

Be careful guys!
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

I don't know what to say except hope they make it off safe, and people use your head, i feel sick just thinking about it :( , i was going to go down this week-end to have a look in or around petrie island but with all this warm weather one should know to stay off the ice or lack there of.Common sense says stay off.
Crusty
Participant
Participant

no fish

Post by Crusty »

talking with someone who had spent 1.5 hours on dangerously thin ice
at the east end crappie location today
he said he didn't catch a thing
the classic first ice bite is none existent with the high water

tread lightly
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Well tip-up call me crazy, I was probably one of those guys, there was enough ice to walk on and I never had any problems there was still 3 inches. And as for my plan on getting off it was to walk..my plan worked. I doubt there will be much good ice left soon and that will be my last until we get some cold weather.
orrsey
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Tip Up was right, I was there around 4pm and 2 of the 3 guys were leaving. The 3rd guy was staying by himself :shock: :shock: :shock:

I also noticed the water has gone down 10-12 inches since Friday (48hrs).

Did not look very safe. It's going to be a while. :x

Jackel 8)
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

All I can say folks is please...please....please take care out there. The hard water will come soon enough. Let's make sure we're all around when it's ready.

For those who choose to venture out, I don't recommend it at all, but if you do decide to go out, take every precaution you can possibly think of to get yourself off and home saftely. It's not worth it for a few fish.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

Until the ice comes in, everyone is welcome to fish off the docks. The fingers were pulled in on the weekend, during boating season we don't allow it but at this time of the year, they are available! Will need to pop in at the store to get the gate opened mind you, can't get much safer than this......

Oziles'
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Oziles wrote:Until the ice comes in, everyone is welcome to fish off the docks. The fingers were pulled in on the weekend, during boating season we don't allow it but at this time of the year, they are available! Will need to pop in at the store to get the gate opened mind you, can't get much safer than this......

Oziles'
Well thats nice of ya :)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Oziles wrote:Until the ice comes in, everyone is welcome to fish off the docks. The fingers were pulled in on the weekend, during boating season we don't allow it but at this time of the year, they are available! Will need to pop in at the store to get the gate opened mind you, can't get much safer than this......

Oziles'

sweet. i might just check that out..
do just drill a hole beside the dock and thats it?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Beside the dock is open water Clap. lot's of current there. Good spot for walters.
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

I was thinking of the docks in the bridge channel. Don't need to drill, water will stay open well into January. Same off the docks at the ramp. After you can drill...

Depending how things work out, for next year am actually thinking of installing huts on the docks for the winter season. This way you could fish early before the ice comes in but still be in a hut and go until closing, end of March and for those not comfortable walking on ice, they would be setup on solid docks...
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Not a bad idea Oziles. The sunfish fanatics will certainly love it.