The Other Guy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Just gotta make fishing "cool". HOW to do that tastefully is the hard part. A bunch of old geezers blurting swear words in the local grocery store (FNC) is certainly not going to get through to them. Put young guys on TV and let them show what fishing is really about.

I cant tell you how many young people have e-mailed us about how much they like the Action Angling videos, and a few have even said they were browsing through other videos on google, found our show and decided to try fishing themselves. There is no greater feeling than the feeling I get when I get an e-mail like that.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to say maybe the media needs to be portraying fishing in a more realistic sense. Not monotone talk about simple tactics and promotion of useless products.

Maybe not just the media. Maybe message boards, etc need to follow this suit as well.

Fishing is about having a blast with friends, so lets show that to the young people.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Why do we need to grow our passion?...I'd rather simply maintain it personally...

Are there not enough people on our waterways as it is?

Pass it down generation to generation...as it's always been done....it's worked for a 100 plus years now.....

Why the push to market fishing?...I don't get it....please explain... :lol:..I'd say fishing as a pastime is doing just fine in my eyes...

RJ
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

RJ wrote:Why do we need to grow our passion?...I'd rather simply maintain it personally...

Are there not enough people on our waterways as it is?

Pass it down generation to generation...as it's always been done....it's worked for a 100 plus years now.....

Why the push to market fishing?...I don't get it....please explain... :lol:..I'd say fishing as a pastime is doing just fine in my eyes...

RJ
The more people involved the more appreciation of the resource we have and more likelyhood of haveing advocats for our cause. The fine line in between is what is questionable
Bronze Participant

the other guy

Post by karma »

I'm 43 and fishing adventures are some of my earliest memories. I learned to catch Trout in a pond the size of a large pool, and let me tell you, these fish were smart. I went on to fish salt water -- commercial and sport -- and I've done my best to introduce and stimulate my kids to fish.
I have to say that I'm hearing more and more push back from young people now who think that sport fishing is cruel. They don't like the idea of the hook going into a fish's mouth and its fighting for its life. It's hard to counter those types of arguements as the science supporting fishing as a humain sport just aren't there. Of course, these are the same kids that are now turning their nose up against fast food hamburgers and turning to eating organic, healthy and quite often vegetarian. Just try to tell them it's like "free range hens" and they'll look at you like you got two heads.
Environmentalism is becoming a fixture in our politics, and we aren't talking about "managing our resources" anymore, it's protecting and preserving that people are interested in. The wilderness is just one big zoo that we can observe but not touch.
Sorry to say it, but I think sport fishing may enjoy one last ralley with the baby boomers retiring, and then it will become as interesting as ancient history -- something people will go to museums to see and read about in history books.
In the mean time though I plan to do my darndest to enjoy the sport and to educate young ones about the joy of being out on the water and near nature. It's not always about catching the fish as it is about getting out there.
Which brings me to my final point. I live in Ottawa and don't drive due to my visual disability -- pretty much can't see a thing. I started losing my sight at age 4 or so, and was registered blind at age 8. (I'm writing this using a keyboard and computer equipped with software that makes it talk.) I hunted up until the age of 18, and was probably one of the only legally blind persons in Ontario to have hunting licenses -- "don't shoot until you positively identify your game" -- in the end I could only hunt black bear. Anyway, I got the gear, fishing, sold the firearms after moving to toronto for schooling, and I'm looking for folks in the Ottawa area in need of a fishing buddy. I don't smoke, like to take long walks on the beach... hang on now, forgot what list I was on there for a second. I can aford to put in my half so I'm not looking for any charity, just a chance to get out on the water once in a while.
My wife and I just had a baby so she's out as a fishing partner for the next couple years anyway, and I'm going to go nuts if I have to wait that long.
Cheers,
lawrence
Last edited by karma on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

BBR, your comments re: video etc. are exactly what I am discovering. The younger generations are more adept at using technology and certainly not shy about sharing their adventures.

Information on the web is a great thing and it's all about the experience not the GPS location of a fishing hole.

Today I'm celebrating my 63rd birthday and look forward to continuing this fishing thing for as long as I can - the world "she is a changing" and those of us who can embrace these changes will be better for it.

Karma, I hear you - appreciating the experience is what it's all about. Certainly a person of your adaptability is another cog in this learning wheel. I'd be thrilled to have you sharing a boat with me.
Bronze Participant

Post by karma »

When I had a cottage in cape Breton, (1986-2000) I use to go out long-lining for Cod with the local fisherman. I personally witnessed the Collapse of the Cod fisheries and the end of a way of life. Sure, some of the guys had lobster licenses, many of which were past down to them by their fathers, and a handful of others got themselves lucrative crab fishing licenses, but for the most of them it meant pulling their wooden boats out for the last time. Some managed to turn it around by getting into the echo-tourism game and now offer whale watching tours, but nothing can replace the food and basic wages long-lining for cod represented.

I think what hurt the most was that guys couldn't justify going out to sea for the day anymore as the fish caught didn't come close to covering the price of gas spent going out. These guys are a pretty thrifty lot, and if it didn't make economic sense, it wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, there were days when three of us could put over 2,000 pounds of cod in the back of a boat. These guys didn't think anything of filling the stern up with so many fish you would be lucky if there was a foot of freeboard, which is why they mount their engines as far front as they can. Contrast that with catching a dozen between three of you in 8+ hours, and you can well imagine that things got pretty grim.

All this to say that one never knows what is coming next. They thought it was the Seals and others said it was the off-shore draggers, but I think it's pretty clear now that it's because the waters are cooling. All those melting glaciers are cooling the water and retarding the spawning of the Cod as well as other shelf species that use to be so numerous. So before you go start thinking that global warming is going to mean bigger Bass, let's just see.

And congratulations McQ on your birthday -- may your days out on the water increase with your years.
63 ahe, the year I was born -- 43 now.
I'd enjoy very much to hook up for some fishing. Doesn't matter for what, I like to think of myself as versatile -- I'm just as good at getting skunked hunting Musky as I am Salmon.
Last edited by karma on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Great Topic and a lot of insightful comments: :D !: As a person who has fished for more than 40 years and who has four children (2 boys and 2 girls) I have often given thought to what I see is a decline in the ratio of young people fishing.

BABY BOOMERS: Although I do not have the statistics I believe there is not the same ratio of youth to adults as there was in the Baby Boomers youth so it stands to reason that wth a smaller ratio of youth in the population there will be a perceived decline in the number of youth fishing.
Myself, and many of the participants on this board come from the baby boomer era. This was a generation of larger families, lower incomes, stay at home mothers and more focus on simple and inexpensive outdoor activities. I wonder if we had not been kicked out of the house to play because our mother didn't want us under her feet how many of us would have spent time fishing. If we had the same options of youth today of sitting inside with 200 TV channels, video games and computers I suspect many of us would never have developed the passion for fishing.

OPPORTUNITY: Young people need a place to walk to from their homes to put a line in the water to catch a fish. I think the majority of us passionate fishermen had that close proximity to fishing opportunity when we were young. Today, urban sprawl seem to have moved residential areas away from close proximity to water and placed them out in the former farm fields on the outskirts of the cities and towns. :(

POLUTION: There has been so much talk in the last twenty years about polution in our lakes and rivers that it is hard to find a non-fisherperson who will tell you that they won't bother fishing because the waters are so polluted they would be scared to eat the fish. As we know, this is largely a misconception but nevertheless a perception held by many people.

THE JOY OF EATING: There is far too much emphasis on catch and release and not enough focus on the process of catching a fish and enjoying the pleasure of eating that same fish. 8) We also have a large number of people who might take up fishing but have no idea how to go about cleaning that fish for the table. There is a need to place some focus on educating people on the joy of catching the fish they eat, the conservation approach of which fish to keep for eating and how to prepare that fish for eating. I think for many people there is still that genetic joy in capturing the food we eat. Enticing people to fish for the joy of not only fishing but also of eating the fish will take them through the same cycle most of us have gone through. Namely, first develop the passion and pleasures of fishing and the motivation to practice conservation will follow.

COMPLEXITY:: When I took up fishing as a kid, a bamboo pole some string, a hook and a frog being fished from a shoreline was quite acceptable and also very productive. New potential fisherpersons today are bombarded with complex jargon and even more complex appearing equipment (to a novice) that creates the impression that fishing is an exact science that requires the equivalency of a college degree in piscatorial aptitude before undertaking the sport. We need to take away this image and promote an understanding on the simpicity, beauty and benefits of this great sport. :idea: Perhaps this could be a component of the Fish-Hawk web site. A section for the beginner angler.

My thoughts for whatever they are worth :!:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

This is pretty interesting..

My two cents: I'm 21 and I live for fishing. I don't see myself as ever stopping or getting bored of it. Alot more of my friends were into it when we were younger, but not so much anymore. Now, I mostly go with my dad, my girlfriend, or by myself. As far as constraints go, the only thing keeping me from being out on the water more often (including right now) is 'academic obligations'. Once those are gone and I have more free time and $$, I'll definitely be out there alot more. There's nothing else I'd rather be doing!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

How about over saturation. So many TV shows, books, magazines, the internet. I just tune most of it out anymore. Alot of it is just rehashed.

So many people aspire to be experts, or make money at it, get sponsored and/or fish competively. Fewer people it seems just fish for the helluvit, just happy to be out.