Darryl Cronzy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Absolutely Larry, my comments were made with the assumption the fish were perfectly legal to have in possesion. I'd hate to eat a muskie period but would much rather that then allow it to float belly up and rot. That to me is just plain and simple disrespect.
Mak'er a Lak'er
Participant
Participant

Post by Mak'er a Lak'er »

Choronzey (Cronzy) or however he spells his name from one day to the next is definitely old school.

I've been catching a lot of his older shows on WFN...the days of taking off after work with mirror shades and a case of 50 to saw logs and catch a thousand fish with the boys spring to mind (remember those old tv commercials?).

I think his recent shows deal more with the BC salmon fishery, and it appears that he is trying to be a bit more conservation conscience.

Not to dump on Bob Izumi, but I was at a lodge once and the staff said he was a nightmare to deal with, HUGE ego. Said he pre-hooked walleye from the livewell, then pretended to hook them when the camera started rolling.

At least with Darryl, it appears what you see is what you get.

Mak'er
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Mak'r...being anglers, we know what it's like to be fishing, it's hit and miss, unless it's one of those great days. Fishing shows need to edit, stop, put one in the well..cut off and start filming again with the hold, to make the show have a bit of excitement and flow.

If not, not even the most die hard angler wouldn't watch. They'd take a snooze, respool the rod, etc. rather.

The original post was about Chronzy's methods...obviously most don't agree with them. I'm sure there are others also. Now, Izumi? I, myself am not prepared to go that far. I kinda like the little meatball, he's got one of those "how could ya not like the guy smiles."

Soley my opinion though.
Mak'er a Lak'er
Participant
Participant

Post by Mak'er a Lak'er »

I agree Kpin, Izumi is definitely a likeable guy, and I watch his shows regardless of what I've heard. He is knowledgeable, and seems to help out kids, which is more important.

LOL, as much as I love watching fishing shows, they would be pretty dry if it was all fishing and no catching!
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

For crying out loud it's Christmas, leave poor old Darryl alone. The man has likely forgot more about fishing than most of us will ever know. If you catch a fish legally and it is in season eat or release it. Plain and simple. :lol:
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Why is this thread 3 pages long!?
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

Because BBR people like yourself keep adding to it.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Just shows the passion for our fisheries and abuse of it methinks. On the whole it's a good thing. Rich does have a point though, Chronzy really doesn't deserve the attention.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

And I'm sure he doesn't give a HOOT about it anyways. You just can't teach an old dog new tricks.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

comparing cronzy to a dog is insulting dogs everywhere.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

HAPPY ------CHRISMAHANNUQUANZ!!! :wink: That about covers it!
ottawafisher
Participant
Participant

Post by ottawafisher »

Pretty tough talk for the internet.

Say it to Choronzy's face, pray to your Gods. No joke. Eating the fins is like Samson's hair.

Plus, I like the show, best show on tv, everbody knows about the Izumi rigs, yeah, just got a big one, yeah right....
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

If you don't watch him

Post by mikemicropterus »

:lol: I think the best way to deal with a guy like Darryl is not to watch his show. I know it's hard as there aren't many really good shows.

Bob gets boring as he catches fish and puts down his guests and then stuffs his face and his ego and gut get bigger. He was much better years ago.

Charley wray is good with lots of info and techniques but how often do I fish Lake Erie.

FishnCanada has just lost it. I remember one show where all they caught was one fish and the rest was BS. All they will be known for is their blooper real and and if I had to fish with the dwarf and the fatman I would be doing alot of valium to get me through the day.

In-Fisherman the best and they have done quite a lot of segments on SHORE LUNCH.

Now for Darryl he's an old guy been around the block or two probably to walk it off. Now years of alcohol abuse can lead to his mind-set of fishing etiqutte but he does have a few choice words for the MNR which I like. If you look the majority of fishing locations he makes full use of the outfitters and there are lots of fish. The ones he takes are not big and he is going after the meat eater fisherdudes of which I am one. If you don't like his shows call the station and his sponsors and don't watch the show.

How many guys ate crappies last year???????????????????????????
How many guys ate walleye last year?????????????????????????????
How many pike were eaten and how many bass never made it back?????????

Lord knows I'm not perfect and may let a fish go back that may not make it but it was not on purpose.

If you want to see dead fish watch a weigh-in for a bass tournament and you will see more dead fish than Darryl eats in a show. TYhis ios supposed to be C&R in action but somehow there is a disconnect between the anglers and the consistency of fish handling.

Or how about this culling a dead fish during a bass tournament, it's against the rules but it happens. It's just not shown on TV.

Or how's this one, watching the guy you invited to go fishing through a 3lb pike up into the air 10 feet to release it and listening to him say "I HATE PIKE", and then watching the same angler profess his carefull handling of fish and raving about his clubs live release boat. Thats crap and a two-faced angler whose only concern is his LOWLY EGO.

So in order to get these guys off the TV is not to support them and to send the sponsors and TV station letters of discontent.

Have you noticed Global is getting into the fishing show act and before some of the shows they say this content may not be suitable for younger audiences. This is disturbing because they do it before some of the fishing shows and it is ending a message that fishing and hunting are not in Globals best interest to support yet they put the show on TV. This is more of an issue than Darryl because the stations are distancing themselves from the program. There is a hunting show that gets the same treatment. I would be more concerned about that than an overweight, over the hill guy who is desperately trying to maintain market share.

As for the tactics used by the various hosts on their shows we have the great Italo and Henry incident. If you would like to meet a very arrogant angler there is none better than Italo. Did a show they put on, I spoke at length with Henry and when Italo joined him at our booth he ignored my questions and pulled Henry away for some quiet time together.After the show he went to the van and sat in the front seat while everybody else packed up. He never even lifted a finger. Then there was the time they hired a friend for a charter. Ottawa river walleye. Italo didn't want to fish where my buddy took him and they ended up fishing a shaol and because of Italo's lack of boat handling skills the skeg and prop got damaged. Italo said too bad and that was that. He caught and rehooked fish to make the show look good.
The same thing happened with that guy on PBS(Rod and Reel) not the stream guy but the lawyer who used to fish Lake Ontario. He hired my buddy for a walleye show but the walleyes were not co-ooperating so they did an early smallie show. How to catch smallies in a pre-spawn situation, completely out of season and he didn't much care. He wanted a show with fish.

So even though I see Darryl as a bit of a knob he does serve a purpose and the rants are his only saving grace because you will not see any other host badmouth the MNR and they need some waking up.

If catch and release works why are the walleye regs changing??????????????

My five cents worth

I would like to know what you guys think makes a good show, suggestions and the type of fish caught. Do you like in depth stuff or just the relentless catching of fish??????????????
Would you like to see lots of fish caught with very little info or a few fish caugth with lots of info????????????????????????

If these bozos can do it so can I, so help me out and maybe one day one of you might appear on my show.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Wow Mike, that was a really good rant as far as I am concerned and very well put. I think what you have said pretty much covers everything. As for Chronzy, I just cant stand the way he talks, I really dont have an issue with him eating fish as long as he is keeping his limit. As for the other guys, I like Bob, always in a good mood and fairly informative. I used to like FNC but they have lost their minds. I do like Pete Bowman though. Italo definitely is the most annoying and arrogant guy on a fishing program, he always talks to people like they are 10 yrs old and dumb. I dont watch his show. Henry seems like a nice guy but I am not much interested in fins and skins.

What I wouold like to see is more realistic fishing like fishing in places most of us average guys fish. I mean these guys are fishing places we could only dream of fishing. And why not have an amateur fising show, I would love to go out and video my fishing trips, I may not catch alot but it sure would be real and entertaining.

Anyway once again nice job Mike.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Well I for one learned this unique sandwich hold from Cronzy's show.