If someone built seminars.....would you come?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

How interested would you be in attending regular, organized Fishing Seminars?

Extremely Interested
68%
Somewhat Interested
26%
Interested if I had the time
6%
Not very interested
No votes
Waste of time
No votes

Total votes: 31

Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

If someone built seminars.....would you come?

Post by Bobber »

Just wondering what kind of interest there is out there should someone decide to host fishing seminars. I'm thinking regular seminars, 1 to 2 hours long, various topics, different locations, different speakers (kind of like subject matter experts who would be willing to do them)
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

I'd be all for the idea. If it was somehow possible to have a hands on type seminar that would be cool, maybe a one hour discussion, then off for a couple hours fishing to try out the technique or whatever and meet up after or post the results under a specific thread. But with or without the on the water feature, any kind of seminars with someone who knows what they are talking about would be great learning tools.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

I certainly would be interested in taking part in the learning process. I am a recreational fisherman and I like to be out on the water . I don't care if I catch or not , I just enjoy nature and it's offerings. But I would like to know as much about the sport as I can to pass it on to the kids in my family. I am interested in reel maintenance and reading the water in a new environment. Having said that I probably would attend a majority of the seminars.
Last edited by gorfman007 on Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life goes on
BrianM
Participant
Participant

Post by BrianM »

This sounds like a great idea. What a great way to meet the members and walk away with some new ideas to try. I noticed on a muskey site from the Toronto area that they did a get together on lure making. Both spinners and stick bait. This would be somthing that would be of intrest to me.

Hope this takes off.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Seminars... can never learn enough about fishing

Post by Seaweed »

I would love to attend these seminars.... might I suggest something easy for the first one.... like rigging plastics for bass.

Just a thought

Great Idea though.
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

I will echo gorfman's comments. I consider myself to be a man who fishes as opposed to a fisherman. That said, I am very committed to learning everything that I can about this great pass time. Some of the things that would intrest me the most would include: How to read the water and conditions; Info on the various techniques used i.e. what technique to use given a certain set of conditions; Info on conservation i.e. what can I as a fisherman do to help protect the fishery that gives so much to me; Info on equipment maintanance; Info relating to boats, what features to look for when purchasing, how to properly maintain, basically anything to do with a boat since I will be in the market to purchase one in the next couple of years.

I think this is a great initiative Bobber and I hope that you are able to carry though.

K.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Gentlemen, this is a fish! :lol: :lol:
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Bobber you plan on charging the public for these seminars, good speakers aren't free?
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Trophymuskie wrote:Bobber you plan on charging the public for these seminars, good speakers aren't free?
Haven't thought that far ahead yet. Just an idea that I thought would be a good question to ask to see if there is any interest.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

seminars

Post by jazman »

Having attended a local seminar just recently, I would support this wholeheartedly. A good mix of experienced and novice fisherpeople added to the knowledge sharing.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

There is the Canadian Fly Fishing Symposium coming up in May ( 29 and 30). I plan to attend that. I want to get back into this type of fishing . I enjoyed it in my younger days. It is especially thrilling to catch a fish on a lure that is (home made). :D I know some of you have made lures for other types of fishing but I have not ventured there.
Life goes on
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Thanks to all those who have voted. It looks like there have been a lot of views, but not too many votes. I encourage you to please let us know what you think and take some time to vote. There's no committment, just trying to get a feel on interest, no matter where you're from.

Thanks again,
Bobber