Guess what I'm having for lunch...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Guess what I'm having for lunch...

Post by TheFishstick »

Yummy, yummy, yummy, ive got ling in my tummy... lol

I was into these guys pretty good last night. Lost one at the hole (soaked my arm trying to get him as he came off) while jigging, missed another on a tip up and finally nabbed this guy just as i was packing it in.

-Eric
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Wow, they don't call thses guys poor man's lobster for no reason!. Boil chunks in heavily salted water with lemon juice for about 3 minutes and dip in garlic butter. Simply amazing!!! I gotta get out there and catch some more!

-Eric
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

sweet fish!!!!!
hey eric, i was the one who bought your fly rod last year. you wanna join me and some friends next weekend for some trout???
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Post removed.
Last edited by Rex Mundi on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Thats a nice fish :shock:
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Here are a few quick lunch pics.

Found the belly meat to have the same texture as lobster, while the back meat is light and flacky.

-Eric
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

UGHHHHH whereS THE PORCELAIN THRONE!!!!!!!!!!
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

What is it?
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Its a Freshwater Cod, AKA Ling, Burbot, Cusk, Lawyer, Eelpout... Most people just cut the line and throw them on the ice to die when they catch them. Heard they were good eating though, had to keep one to find out for myselft. Definetly won't be the last time I do. They tend to spent a lot of time deep in the summer, but in the january-february they come up shallow to spawn. Voracious fish, when cleaning them its not uncommon to find large fish in there stomachs. I actually found a partially decomposed 6-8"eye/sauger in this ones stomach as well as numerous other smaller minnows. Plus I caught it on a 4" golden shinner which it swallowed.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

congrats man!! I can't wait to catch one of those :D :D

shirley's bay i'm guessing?
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

TheFishstick wrote:Most people just cut the line and throw them on the ice to die when they catch them.
:x :x .....moronic behavior.

Glad you enjoyed yer ling snack Fishstick! :) I've yet to nab one this year! Soon I hope! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I laughed as I read this
My grandparents (while retired) spent every day on the ice for pike
They would use only pork rind,fat because minnows and worms are gods creatures dont you know.
What made me laugh was the fact that when grandpa would pull a ling out of the lake he would beat it to death right there on the ice.DEVIL SPAWNED
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I laughed as I read this
My grandparents (while retired) would go out on Lake Nippissing daily for pike. :D
Never would they use a worm or a minnow because they have feelings too dont you know. They would only use pork fat.
What made me laugh was that they would not hurt one of"gods creatures" but if grandpa caught a ling he would beat it to death on the ice. "DEVIL SPAWNED" was his term for them. :lol:
Personally I would like to try one but tjis gave me a good laugh and a trip down memory lane
Thanks
Norm
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Caught my first ling last year ice fishing near Innisville on the Mississippi Lake...It was the only fish I caught out of our hut last year. I sure had a good fright when it came up the hole :shock: and it was not the walleye I thought it was but I did know it was a ling cause I was reading about them the week before. Did not know how to grab it or anything so I used a plastic bag to hold it while I took the hook out. I let it go as I was not planning on keeping it. It was 16" in length and weighed close to 2 pounds.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Looking good!....i've only caught a few when i was a wee sprout but never had the oppertunity to taste one. I'm due to try one of these dwellers of the deep. MMMMMMMMM!