walleye last night

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lenb12
Participant
Participant

walleye last night

Post by lenb12 »

I was out fishing on a lake near Perth last night. I caught 2 walleye in the 3-4 lb range (24 inches +). I never had much luck ice fishing until I got some tips from someone at LeBaron in Ottawa. He said that using small glow jigs tipped with a piece of minnow(for walleye) is the best presentation for most lakes. My glow jig was red, but when it is charged with a flash light, one side glows and is yellowish green. The jig shape is like a small very narrow banana(I don't have the packaging handy). I tipped it with a minnow head, with minnow head points downward. I also pierced the minnow head in such a way that the one can feel the barb at the back of the minnow head.

The depth to the bottom was 10 feet. I set up my tent at 5PM and did not fish until about 6:30 PM. The first hit I had was very strange(please bear with me as I am not a "qualified" ice fisherman, but rather a newbie).The rod tip went down very slowly as if the fish was testing the bait. I made the mistake(I think) of letting out line to have the fish swallow it. I then yanked the line and I lost the fish. Now I know that one only lets line out if a a whole minnow is used on hook. So, I re-charged my jig an dropped it to the bottom. I would jig about 6 inches off bottom. All the hits after that were made when the jig was stationary (after raising the jig and letting it drop) but I was told that the walleye usually swallow the jig as it is descending. Anyhow take a look at the picture of one of the walleye(it's thawing out!)

The other thing I wanted to talk about is the fishing lunar calendar that some people post on the internet. According to the calendar that I read, fishing was to start improving as of last night and will be good for the next few days. I realize there are many factors involved in catching fish, but I would like to know if anyone has had any luck with using these lunar calendars.Image
Image[/img]
Last edited by lenb12 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lenb12
Participant
Participant

Post by lenb12 »

I won't be fishing tonight due to a returning flu..... Len
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Nice eye!

Post by pchilli1 »

Great looking fish!

WHile I don't base my fishing on the moon, it never helps to have that mental edge!
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Nice fish, it's good to see another ice-fishing rookie doing so well. Inspirational :lol: hope that flu doesn't keep you down for long so you can go raise hell with those wally's some more.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I go fishing when MY calendar says that I can go.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

thats a good looking eye!

Wallyboss wrote:I go fishing when MY calendar says that I can go.

very true!