SUMMER CAMPING HELP ME!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

SUMMER CAMPING HELP ME!!

Post by Jebby »

k as it turns out im going to florda with the family in spring so i wont be making my usual spring pike trip... that leaves 8 days sometime in august (not sure when start middle or end) but it will be with a large groop of people mostly non fishers.... we camp in Ontario Provincial Parks and prefer fairly treed sites away from the crowds... we love balsam lake however its a lil busy and hard to get enough campsites close together that are any good. We have had mixed experiences at Silver lake but LOVE the lake there. I have a small 14 foot tinny with a VERY old 10 hp johnson and a very crappy fishfinder (not good for much more than depth and surface temp) we like to fish ever evening and a few afternoons.... since my fishing trip this spring is a no go this trip in august will be my only out of town excursion.... i love pike and bass and would definitly prefer a lake with pike thats calm and small for my poor boat....dogs must also be allowed(comming from windsor) any info would be great

looking at

Silver lake---park ok fishing good lake good distance soso
Sharbot lake--never been but hear is nice fishing and has pike by silver lake
Balsam lake-- park nice but busy lake nice but a lil ruff fishing ok but no pike:( nice and close to home
Bonnechere-- not much info but apparently has pike and is nice any ideas?
Emily -- not much info but is close to home.. no pike :(

all comments appreciated also open to other ideas

thankgs guys
jebby
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

You could try Voyageur, its on the Ottawa about 1.5hrs east. Nice sites.
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Informative website

Post by OTRA »

Hi,

Here's a website that an individual has done. Really straightforward, well laid out.

http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/accom-camp.html
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I've heard good things about Driftwood Provincial Park on the upper Ottawa River.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

camping

Post by Seabass81 »

Hey jebby. Not sure exactly what youre looking for in a site but everyyear i go to park lake. 1/2 hour outside of perth. Its not an actual site but its all crownland and there is alot of nice places to camp. Usualy pretty quiet. The lake is attached to 3 others by small streams and the smallie action is incredible. For more details shoot me a pm

Seabass
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

HEy Jebby. I have to agree with Badger, My wife and I go every year, the park is great and most of the sites are private. I would stay away from the sites that appear to be in a group of circles. they are not as private. My wife and I saty on the portage sites. We have stayed in 392 and 332 both very private. Hope it helps!

Denis
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Murphy's Point, just outside of Perth, has very good camping and a boat launch. It's also good because it has a smaller lake where motors are banned.

If you go to Driftwood, make sure you book well in advance. I've had both good and bad experiences in this regard at Driftwood. It is, however, a beautiful campground on the shore of the Ottawa River.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Jebby are you only looking for Provincial parks :D .There are some nice private ones without the pressure of parks Like Charleston,sandbanks ,Murphy's point etc.Some of these have to be booked already :shock: . I stayed at both Sunnyside on upper rideau and Cedar haven on Muskrat and they were both great.

Good pike on both but I'll be honest i stayed in a cottage at Cedar haven but was able to see they had decent camping near the water.

Sunnyside was great with my tent 15 ft from the water.My son caught easily 200 small bass from shore.When we took the boat out we got into some Pike.

Some trailers around at both places but quiet if you're there during the week.

Ron
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi jebby

i dont no if you been to the ottawa sportsman show...but if you did not.

there is a cople off great both that have tons off info on ontario camping site and info at the show. :wink:

joco.
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

you want privacy

Post by Bruin »

Try Wakami Provincial Park near chapleau
Lotsa privacy
Lotsa Fish
no matter where you go...enjoy the time away
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

I've got to agree with Bruin, and not only because he's from the Soo.

Wakami lake prov. Park is one of the greatest parks in Ontario. Most of the campsites are absolutely private, the park is small and quiet, and the fishing is AMAZING!

I've been going every year since 1997 and I worked there for 3 years.
It's a bit of a drive... and no bass but you won't care once you're there.

Last years trip, in 3 days, my buddy and I got...

6 pickerel over 5 lbs.
dozens of pike, 4 of them over 6 lbs
and dozens of White fish, most of them over 4 lbs.

You might enjoy fighting a 5 lb bass now, untill you hook into a 2 lb whitefish that literally swims circles around your boat.

You should feel what the 9 + pound white fish fight like. If you can get him in the boat in under 7 minutes, you're superman.

It is a HUGE lake, but some of the best spots are only a 2 min. boat ride away.

I would recommend this lake to anyone.
Snakebite
Participant
Participant

Driftwood

Post by Snakebite »

Jebby,

I'll third Driftwood, but not all of the campsites are treed.

There is great fishing right across the Ottawa at the mouth of the Dumoine river. Pike, bass and walleye.

If its blowing it will be tough in a little tinny - as I've learned the hard way a couple of times.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

hey all thanks for the info sadly wont be hitting anything on the ottawa (family wants a lake) and the drive is a lil far to be something onther than what they want. love the info though thankz a bunch....

jebby
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

Jebby, try this place. We camped there last year for the first time and it was one of the cleanest campsites I have ever been to. When the big campers would leave they would come along and rake the whole site!! Really nice people running the place too. It is on Lake Opinicon. You have to reserve early as they only have a few sites available.

http://www.skycroft.com/Main.html
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

hey all thanks for the replys i talked to my family... i need a provincial park because they afre afraid that privet is too small or too open to accomidate us they way they want.... also unfortuionatly they dont want to travel that far and so comming from windsor im limited to stuff between here and ottawa.... thanks for the help any more commets would be great