Opinion time

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Opinion time

Post by almontefisher »

Do you get upset when someone makes a report on a lake and says what lake it is???

Do people call you names if you do a report.

How do you deal with idiots that think they own the lakes you talk about.

Have you raced off to the lake once you have read a post.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

No I never get upset, actually it encourages me that there are actually fish there. :lol:

People call me names just for the sake of it. :cry:

Tell them to show you a deed. :shock:

Of course I race off to each and every spot mentioned where people have caught a fish, this is why I had to choose between work or full time hitting those lakes to maybe catch a perch :o

Man you have every right to go where and when you want to fish. If I go somewhere to fish and do well I will report on it and give a basic location, it doesnt bother me. The whole purpose of boards like this is to share information and to try to get people interested in fishing. If someone is sending you pms giving you crap then just tell them to shut their pie hole and get a life, or to join a private message board.

Have a good time on DARLING LAKE, Almonte and I hope you catch a crap load of fish.

Don
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I agree
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

ditto
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I'm still waiting for someone to fill me in on one isolated enough to take my ex-wife fishing and give her the cement shoes I have for her. Lord knows she loved shoes and we all know a woman can always use another pair. :wink:
Badger Bait
Participant
Participant

Post by Badger Bait »

I agree with Badger. Fish where you like, post what you like. Whatever floats your boat. 8)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Kpin...I think there are a few ex wives in my lake at the 125ft mark...keep seeing something on the fish finder all the time in that spot...Looks kinda like something with a big butt..and if I look really close there are some signs on their necks..."Here lies a wife a lover a freind and what the heck am I talking about here lies a woman who always complains that nothing is good enough so I hope the bottom is good enough"...Did you drop that over board Kpin???
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Nah, Almonte, just remember the motto...I didn't see nothin', heard nothin' and know nothin'. (But I do like a nice plate of pasta).

K...those are the last of my ethnic jokes regarding Italians b4, I'm in jeapordy myself and someone hires "Wolfe" to "pole whip" me. :wink: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This topic comes up often on boards.......and if what I say offends anyone....please PM me....that's the way to do it now right?... :lol:

I'm going to name 3 locations that have have directly been affected by postings on FH....Crappie Bay at Petrie...The Rideau River musky fishery...and the Appleton stretch of the Mississippi....reports from these areas have driven people to these areas in droves....

As in the case of Appleton...a good friend of mine lives directly across the road from the launch....3 years ago...if he saw a boat trailer in that launch once a week it was odd...now...on any given night the lot is full....on weekend they park on the road in front of his house...can a tiny stretch of river handle that kind of pressure?...No.

Being a West ender I had never even heard of Crappie Bay until I read FH....I make trip down there once a year at first ice to basically get the ice fishing cobwebs out....it gets absolutely pounded....and this year I think we are seeing the fruits of that labour...

The Rideau River Musky Fishery has been attacked by anyone who can afford to buy a dozen sucker minnows and can find a bridge... :lol: ...it's still healthy....but how long will that last?

In the past I personally have made mistakes in posting reports...giving up way too much info about where a report came from....and over time those spots have been pressured because of it...

One night talking to Fishhawk about the site he let me know that for every registered user that visits the site there are 6 who lurk....who have no user name...who are just here to suck in info....why provide those folks or the ones who fish all the time and never report back to you with anything?...They give nothing back to you but unwanted pressure on areas you fish....

I made the decision awhile back to give up zero location type info on public boards....and even on some occasions on a private board that I frequent....for one reason and one reason only....why should I do the legwork and then just give it away?...sure it sounds selfish....but after spending hours scouring maps and working new water....does it make sense to go out and welcome everyone to it?

It's a tough lesson to swallow when it happens....but the day that a guy walks up to ya at the launch and says "Are you almontefisher?"...."Yes, Who are you?"..."Ahh...I just read on FH, great reports by the way".....then he shows ya his stringer from your favorite lake that he read about online.....it'll hit home then...it did for me.

RJ
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

A justifiable rebuttal by RJ. That's why I said, "likeminded" anglers. The lurker factor is very true and yes, they collect valued tips, locations, info and sadly, offer nothing back in return.

Not "likeminded" brethren, in my humble opinion.

Valid points on both sides of the coin here. Just too bad, no matter how many times that coin is flipped, there is an unavoidable downside.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

eh kpin "a shuttupa a your face" but when ur done noin nothin the detroit river down here is a nice place to dump... i swair i keep snagging jimmy hoffa
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Nice rebuttal

Post by OTRA »

Enjoyed RJ's rebuttal. Didn't agree with it, but enjoyed it. As far as pressure goes, isn't it self correcting, by that I mean if an area gets a great deal of pressure to the point the fishing is affected, doesn't the number of people fishing it goes down. Another point, how often have you heard something along the lines of
"Should of been here last week, the fishing was great then".

With all of the online maps, and information, I don't think there are any secret lakes anymore--if there ever were, just less people less pressure.
Also if you look at the map projects, aren't the areas highlighted to have fish the same areas we would fish with or without the hightlights.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Well I think that RJ's post pretty much sums up my point of view... Last year I was arriving at one of my favorite little lakes and found like 8 differant party's on the lake with at least 4-6 poeple per party :? Needless to say there wasn't much fish caught and the day was spent listening to sleds, ATV's and power augers all day with a few " can I borrow a few minows" or "can I borrow you auger" or " I'm just checking out your shack do you mind if I look inside"...etc. Now if I were lets say somewhere like petrie it wouldn't bother me to much, but when I just finished driving 2 hours to find a little soltude on a little secluded trout lake that gets ony 500 fish per year then it bothers me
my 2cents
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nice rebuttal

Post by RJ »

OTRA wrote: As far as pressure goes, isn't it self correcting, by that I mean if an area gets a great deal of pressure to the point the fishing is affected, doesn't the number of people fishing it goes down.
OTRA...You are correct I guess.....but why would a fisherman ever want to do that to a spot or lake that he cherishes?