MUSKY.....THROUGH THE ICE ????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

MUSKY.....THROUGH THE ICE ????

Post by Suddsy »

I have never caught musky when out ice fishing. However this morning I went out for a couple of hours on the Rideau River near Kemptville and picked up a Musky while jigging for walleye. It hit hard on a Mr. Champ in about 15 feet of water and was not snagged as the hook was in the back of its mouth. 8) Not a huge fish but approx. 14 pounds. Snapped a couple of quick pictures and back down the hole he went. Last weekend I fished in the same area with four friends and one of them had a huge fish on that broke the line before it could be landed. The concensus was that it was a musky, but I disagreed as I never heard of anyone catching them through the ice. Time to eat crow next time I talk to my buddy :oops: :oops: Just though I would ask if anyone else has caught musky while ice fishing :?:
Razor
Participant
Participant

Post by Razor »

I fished a derby on Saturday, and one of the guys pulled out a 31lbs, 47 inch muskey. I have some pics, but don't know how to upload them. Last week another guy pulled out a 41 pounder, I saw the video and pics. It seems that there have been about one per week caught in my area.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Suddsy got any pics of that 14 ski? :wink:
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Bet you that was a great surprise!
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Before you post any pictures please read the the Fish-Hawk rules page (http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=11759).

You are asking for a lot of flack posting pictures of OOS fish pictures and I am sure you are in for it just by posting a thread mentioning that you caught a Muskie through the ice and are asking for it even more for saying that you took pictures of a Muskie you caught off the ice.

This thread could get ugly.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Yeah, it was quite a surprise. :shock: ....thought at first it might be a big pike because I had landed a nine pound pike in that same spot last year. 8) I did take a couple of pictures Nodie but I hate going through the aggravation of trying to load them on to the site. I can e-mail the pictures to you if you want to PM me with your e-mail address :?: Those are amazing size musky they are catching in your area Razor. Must be a challenge pulling them up through the ice. :!: I know I managed to slice my finger pretty good on the leader when I grabbed it to lift him out of the hole this morning. It is fun to catch them when you are not expecting it but I hope that it is not stressing the fish too much.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Good point Rex :idea: In regards to snapping a couple of pictures, I was fishing in my portable hut and had the camera sitting beside me along with my spreaders and needle nose pliers so it was a quick hook removal, snap, snap with the camera and back down the hole. I agree with the concern people have about catching OOS fish and I was definitely not targeting muskie. Not much you can do about it when one hits your walleye jig. :cry:
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I will have to say I am not upset over catching OOS fish as this was thru the ice so can you say he was targeting them...No...As for pictures...why not. If you released the fish alive and well and did not intend to catch one then there is no issue here in my books. Can't control what catches your line under the ice. I went out on Miss. Lake yesterday and had this discussion with my buddy as we were fishing for perch but Eye's and Pike as BOWZOG had mentioned is OOS...so we intended for perch. Now we only caught about 5 3" perch but if we caught an eye or pike we would have released it knowing it is out of season. I think this brings up some more Opinion time questions...So what do others think..Please refrain from vulgarities as this is a nice discussion on your stance of OOS fish thru the ice.
Jair
Participant
Participant

Post by Jair »

As long as the OOS is released and your not targeting, I don't see the problem. As far as pix....I don't post'm, but am not offended to view others as long the fish was released.

Cheers
Last edited by Jair on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I don't think you can blame someone for accidentily catching a muskie, or whatever the OOS fish happens to be. I say post the pics, hell, we all love seeing a nice sized muskie, I know I do. Just because it happened to come out of season doesn't mean much to me. As stated earlier, it hit your walleye jig, not much you can do about it, ya may as well enjoy it and try bacl there in the summer!

MW
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Suddsy wrote:Good point Rex :idea: In regards to snapping a couple of pictures, I was fishing in my portable hut and had the camera sitting beside me along with my spreaders and needle nose pliers so it was a quick hook removal, snap, snap with the camera and back down the hole. I agree with the concern people have about catching OOS fish and I was definitely not targeting muskie. Not much you can do about it when one hits your walleye jig. :cry:
I am not saying anything negative about you taking pictures and such but just saying when you even mention that you caught and OOS and took pictures of it you are opening your self up for a slaying.

I have been a member here for a few years now and have seen some get hammered real bad for similar posts.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Yeah, this topic gets hammered every year. Thats why Fish-Hawk came up with the policy that they have. This topic turns ugly really quick (at least it has in the past). So take care on your debate, and don't take others comments to heart or feel they are offensive. Remember, they are just opinions. Even the MNR can't give a definitive answer on the subject of pics of OOS fish.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

There was a thread a little while ago about whether you should even take a picture of a fish caught OOS. Like Rex said, it's a hot-button topic.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

There was a thread a little while ago about whether you should even take a picture of a fish caught OOS. Like Rex said, it's a hot-button topic.

I went to find the thread, couldn't -- maybe it was an archived one I was reading.

Anyway, it's like Rex said -- lookin' for trouble! :wink:
Mak'er a Lak'er
Participant
Participant

Post by Mak'er a Lak'er »

Even though I am of the opinion that mistakenly catching something through the ice is just a fluke and I have no problem sharing the story and even snapping a couple quick pics as long as the fish is unharmed and returned quickly, I think the best thing to do in this case would be to respect the rules and not post it to the public forum. If anyone really wants to see it and you really want to share the pics you took, you could always PM them.

Doing otherwise will probably do more harm than good.

Just an opinion of course.