New Ontario fishing regulations further delayed!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

New Ontario fishing regulations further delayed!

Post by Gord »

[quote]

April 4, 2007

ONTARIO’S FISHING REGULATION CHANGES DELAYED
Anglers Should Continue to Use 2005-2006 Rules
TORONTO — The new Ontario Fishing Regulations will come into effect on January 1, 2008, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay announced today.

“By implementing the new fishing regulations at the beginning of a new year we will be in keeping with tradition,” said Ramsay. “Most anglers are aware that this is typically when regulation changes are made so this timing allows for clarity and consistency.”

The regulation changes are part of the ministry’s new ecological framework for recreational fisheries management in Ontario. This includes managing fisheries on a zone basis rather than on an individual lake basis and replacing 37 fishing divisions with 20 fisheries management zones. To come into effect, these regulations must be approved by the federal government. The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans have been working closely to complete the approval process.

Anglers should continue to use the 2005-2006 regulations and current Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary throughout 2007, with the exception of the following changes that took effect January 1, 2007:

The walleye season is open year-round on all of Lake Erie. The catch and possession limit for walleye in the eastern basin of Lake Erie has increased to six fish from four.
On Lake Nipissing, the winter season for walleye and some other species has been extended by one week. This change, along with a longer fall season applies to the entire lake including the West Arm. There have also been some changes to walleye and pike catch limits in the West Arm to be consistent with the rest of Lake Nipissing.
On Golden Lake, the walleye fishery is re-opening after being closed for five years. There will be a 50 cm minimum size limit, and a catch and possession limit of two walleye (under a sport fishing licence) and one walleye (under a conservation fishing licence).
The province has extended the bass season across the province by moving the opening day from the last Saturday in June to the fourth Saturday in June.
The 2005-2006 regulations and current fishing summary are available at ServiceOntario/Government Information Centres outlets and from most licence issuers as well as on the ministry’s website at ontario.ca/mnr/. The updated fishing summary should be released later this year.

To fish, Ontario residents must have a valid Outdoors Card and fishing licence. Non-residents must have a valid fishing licence before they may fish in Ontario waters.

[end quote]
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Thanks Bowzog. :) Sounds like the ministry is really struggling internally with agreement on what the new fishing regulations should be. :? I wonder how using last year's regulations is going to screw up the normal weekend opening days for the various fish species. :?: I guess I will have to check last years fishing regulations against this years calendar to see how many opening days will happen on weekdays. :roll: Could make for some quiter opening days on the water :D

Suddsy
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

If the Ministry doesn't have the money to put gas in the CO's vehicles do you really think they have the funds to get the Regulations printed.
Now everybody give their head a shake and think about that.
Reality could be really close to home.
ShotgunRiderRob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ShotgunRiderRob »

Oh joy,bass one week earlier! This means i might get one less parasite in them smallies :lol: . I wish it was for first Sat of June. Thanks for posting,was curious about this for quite sometime!
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

The new regulations won't come into effect until January 01, 2008 (with the exceptions mentioned by bowzog regarding walleye and bass). Here is the link to the press release on the MNR"s website.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/2 ... nr_07.html
RatherBFishin
Participant
Participant

Post by RatherBFishin »

sweet... bass one week earlier... I like that!
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi Everyone

Living in Quebec makes one use to government incompetence and ineptitude but to see Ontario was unable to produce a set of fishing regulations for 2007 is truly disgusting. I would never thought the province of Ontario (perhaps the wealthiest jurisdiction in North America) would bumble and stumble like this. Shocking!!!!!!!!!

When they do get around to producing the document, I hope they get rid of the cryptic opening dates i.e. third Saturday of May. If the document is only for the year why not give the exact date, May 17th for example. Can you imagine what the economy of Ontario would be like if Ontario businesses used the same type of dating system. Imagine these scenarios, “the deadline to ship that order is the fourth Thursday of June” or “ I will be in Toronto, so can we set up a meeting on the third Tuesday of October.” Obviously there would be lots of problems. Why can’t the fishing regulations be precise? When the government wants money out of us they are quite precise in establishing an exact deadline day (i.e. taxes). Both Alberta and B.C. give exact dates for opening and closing, those provinces don’t want to have any confusion. Remember lots of outdated traditions have been ended by the Province of Ontario.

B.T.W. Those MnD Dakota spinners look awesome!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Steve
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

regs

Post by g unis »

story i have is the mnr has forwarded the new regs. its the federales whom are balking.. seems to me once again our so called leaders are more worried on pay and pension structures for there cronies. its sad to see the ontario mnr wear this one. 07 will go down as a year of nobody understandin whats going on.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Wait until this spring on the Ottawa River Folks, Quebec doesn't open until May 18 this year which means Ontario will be open 1 week earlier :?: Up this way the Quebec ministry is really on guys cases regarding minnows and quebec licences and things like that. They have gone to the local tackle shop and warned them to tell people that they will be out there when the Ontario side opens and that they will be enforcing the "Border" line and people will be charged if they are caught on the "Quebec side". The most popular spots on this stretch of the river during the spring are mostly on the Quebec side and they told the local shop that they will be set-up at all the local "Hotspots" and they will be charging people if they are fishing.This is a our fine ONTARIO government more worried about pee pee people off before an election than it is them looking after our resources. Everyone should be emailing or sending letters to there local MP's and tell them how upset we are. They won't do anything about it unless enough people complain.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

I doubt very much if this will do anything to help the ontario MNR, but when these so called politicians start knocking on our doors with the upcoming election (mid october) we should ask where they stand on our fishing and hunting issues.

As steve2112 pointed out, it is disgusting that a province like ours is sucking the hind BOOB on this stuff.

I have read on another board that it looks like the OPP are about to take over some of the duties up north :shock:

I know there are many other issues that concern us, but a little pressure at the door may make them take notice on our outdoors ...... only in my dreams

Bear
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I'd have to agree, in gen. with what I quickly read. Our CO's do their job and do it to the best of their ability with what they are given.

As, (WITH SOOOOO MANY OTHER DAMN THINGS), our politicians are fumbling about, swapping portfolio's, playing euchre, slapping desks and yelling, acting like children or pondering such important things as, whether to have the meatloaf or chicken salad at the cafeteria.

It's tough for them knowing over 80,000 Hydro employees in Ontario alone make over $100,000 annually, with the top 3 all pulling in 1million-1.75. That one thing alone plagues our hard working politicians, working on a possible solution to how, THEY can earn that much cash too!

Ah...ok. Lunch is over. Back to work. SHHHHHHH!... My turn to speak.
Ahem, Yes Mr. Speaker, I vote that the honourable member of the opposition is a goof!

(thunderous applause!!!! spanking of desks!!!! laughter!!catcalls!!!)

Ok...another day is done....Phew, I worked hard!!!!!

(Lowly, assistant hesitantly asks about the Environment, fisheries, logging, etc.) Member looks annoyed and responds, "let the minister responible handle that."

"um that's you sir."

"Oh, yeah, that's right. More importantly though, did you pick up my golf attire from dry cleaning and made reservations to that OOOLaLa restaurant?"

"Yes sir!"

"Good, I've deserved it!"

*You now have a small idea of why things go slowly. It takes time for these things with all the kindergarden antics, table smacking, cleverly worded insults at opposition members, that have to be written by your senior staff, prior to House commencement.*

*After that is done, ALL friggin' parties amazingly agree and vote unanimously to allow themselves a payraise no other Canadian taxpayer would even see in their dreams...hmmm ok...yeah 20%. It's tough running the place yanno! Cut US some slack!

Now...back to business....should I have the tuna fish salad for lunch today?
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

regs

Post by g unis »

k pin hits the nail on the head.