trolling rod holder setups?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

trolling rod holder setups?

Post by 1lastcast »

I finilly own a large enough boat that i can ask this question.

I have 5 people in my boat for the napanee opener in may. Id like to set up a rod holder system so that at least 4 people will have lines out.

I use planer boards (2) currantly. I have seen people use a 2x4 attached across the back of the boat from side to side. Im thinking this would be best.

Do you guys have any photos that would show such a setup? How do fix the 2x4 to the boat without damaging it? Or is this a bad idea all together?

wish me luck.

I have a 18ft xcal legend if that helps?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

your scenario has an easy answer.

simply run two rod holders off the side, each with a rod with a planer board, then run two rods out the back, on corner rod holders....

most folks attached the transom board when running riggers.

you could even add a 1 ounce drop weight on a spinner, and run it with a short line directly out the back, giving your fifth line a spot in the presentation.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I was going to permintly attach scotty rod holders to the sides. Then I started thinking "what if the top is up?" I have room just behind the last section of snaps that the top would attach to. Then I would need to place a secound set as you suggest in the rear corners. I eventually what to install riggers at this location. So I think it would work. Id need to remove the rod holders of course.

Thanks for your help. Man i hate putting holes in my boat :?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

depending on your design of your boats gunnels, you can use down easter double clamp salties .... no making holes in the boat.

just clamp and go. easy to move when you want to make them horizontal to the water for dipsy fishing, or verticle to the water for inlines.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

the holder do work well Steve like your set up. just make sure you usse the two screw clap holder. some of those chinnies are getting big
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I think with the Legend the double clamps will work fine on the gunnels, if you want to get fancy, take a look at TrojanTackle.ca
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Quick and dirty. Can't find the original post as it was mid 2005 (pre boat forum).

Personally, I would prefer to run them along the gunnels from back to front instead of side to side along the back. But the board will get you your rod capacity and off to fishing.

Good luck.

Bill
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

great info.

thanks for comments. I like the sounds of a clamp on style holder. but im not sure I can find any in my area?

We have a westmarine here. maybe they might have clamp on type holders?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

You can order clamp on holders directly from Le Baron in Montreal and they will ship them to you.
http://www.lebaron.ca/catalogue/english/orderform.htm
You will need the following information:
-catalogue page# 74
-Down East Salty Rod Holder
-Model S-10
-$24.36

Hope this helps!
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Nice boat!

I just picked up a 20Xcal :D

For the money you invested in the boat make it right and make it look good. Look into track systems. Although a little pricey well worth the money.

You can set up tracks for the riggers and rod holders and they are easily removed when not using the trolling rods.

Here's a few options to look at.

Bert's custom tackle:
http://www.teclausa.com/bert/products.html

Cabela's: Much cheaper version.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 656015984a

There are a few others out there and these are my short list but there are a lot out there.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.