Sad story out of Hamilton this morning.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Sidenote...........I might be poorly informed but....bass not a native species? Where are it's native waters?

..Also...FB? How do you feel about gobies? The MNR urges us to destroy them immediately. Should we spare them also?

I might be off base and I know many hardcore carp fishermen. I myself will be trying it this year for the first time.

However, even though carp have been pretty well accepted by most and not looked at as particularly overwhelmingly dangerous, given the big picture. I'd comfortably wager most diehard carp fishermen would agree with a controlled kill for the overall good of the ecosystem, if necessary.

No one likes it but in some cases, it's a nec. evil.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

I can't believe how many folks on here said that the carp eraticated were not toxic, yet didn't read the link i provided or at least the ontario guide for sport fishing....

please, check out carp there.

see that they are very very very very very toxic.

very toxic.

then please, come back, explain what you would want done with them. they have spent millions and millions attempting to turn the bay back into a wetland.

this was an amazing step towars the rehabilitation of carp. i wish i would have taken the pictures back in the mid ninties of the carp pits next to the carp barrier.

i'm not worried about flaming, because anyone who actually takes the time and READS into this SPECIFIC situation will learn that they are toxic, over populated, and ready to be taken out.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Jakel, i'll catch ya a carp straight out of the bay, and i'll DRIVE it to ya....

if you eat it, i'll give ya a shiny red bill.

Please Jakel, read up on the Hamilton Bay Rehabilitation Project, the 2 million dollar carp barrier (which took these out of the bay), and the RBG plan on rehabilitation of Cootes Paradise.

Once you have your facts straight about THIS incident, i would really love to hear the "carpers" side of "this" story.

I'm all ears. It would be a good debate. However, until you have your side to "this" story, if you choose, please dont tell me to get my facts straight. :roll:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Jakel, as i'm 100% ontop of this project, i have lots of links with information. Feel free to google for more, as there is lots of information about this subject, in case you feel i'm being biased.

Cathie Coward, the Hamilton Spectator
The Cootes Paradise Fishway helped reduce the non-native carp population from 70,000 to fewer than 3,000.

Hamilton Spectator File Photo
Brent Valere with one of the carp that are destructive to marshland.

RBG hosts weekend of events as fishway marks 10th anniversary
By Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator(Mar 24, 2007)
The 10th anniversary of the Cootes Paradise Fishway -- a carp barrier essential to restoring marshland at the west end of Burlington Bay -- is being celebrated with a variety of events at the Royal Botanical Gardens Centre today and tomorrow.

The RBG wants to trumpet the successes of Project Paradise, which has reduced the population of destructive non-native carp from over 70,000 to fewer than 3,000, helped regenerate hundreds of water lilies and tens of thousands of reeds and improved water quality enough to attract back long-absent fish species.

The marsh was truly a natural paradise, full of fish, birds and other wildlife, when a British army officer named Cootes hunted there in the early 19th century.

Another Brit, engineer John MacTaggart, said in 1926 he had "never seen such a variety of wildfowl as come to this place."

Cootes Paradise, as it's now known, was still special enough to be designated a nature sanctuary a century later, but by the early 1990s the marsh vegetation was largely gone and the wetland's future as the major fish nursery in western Lake Ontario was threatened.

Project Paradise began in 1993 as a part of the Hamilton Harbour Remedial Action Plan, but significant change wasn't seen until after the fishway opened in 1997.

RBG aquatic ecologist Tys Theysmeyer, who oversees much of the continuing work, says 2006 was a challenging year because a major winter storm choked the fishway with debris, allowing about 5,000 carp into Cootes -- enough to stir up silt and uproot plants.

Vandals attacked two of the Christmas tree berms that keep carp out of Grindstone Creek, a late-July flood let more swim over the barriers and a torrent of mud washed down the creek, destroying fragile plants.

Canada and the U.S. kept the level of Lake Ontario low in the spring, exposing mud flats where dormant seeds sprouted, then the lake was allowed to rise, killing 90 per cent of the new seedlings.

But the setbacks were temporary, according to Theysmeyer, who says 2006 saw an estimated increase of 200,000 reeds and 500 water lilies, self-seeding of southern wild rice and two new species of native fish -- silver lamprey and spotted gar.

"We have more white water lilies every year and expect them to be the dominant plant species. They double every year, but we started with just two, now have close to 1,000 and need two billion.

"Existing reeds grew fantastically last year, giving us 200,000 more, which is no small number."

Theysmeyer says construction of combined sewer overflow tanks and improving effluent from the Dundas sewage treatment plant have helped, but more must be done farther out on streams and creeks in the watershed that feeds Cootes.

"The biggest challenge now is increasing urbanization. Ancaster and Waterdown both flow into Cootes, and urban runoff is far worse than rural. The quality of urban storm water is 10 times worse than we need for aquatic life, so you need nine times as much clean water to dilute it.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Located along the Hamilton Waterfront Trail at the mouth of the Desjardins Canal, the channel connecting Cootes Paradise and Hamilton Harbour. It's the first two-way fishway and carp barrier on the Great Lakes, designed to keep destructive, non-native carp out of the Cootes marsh while maintaining the natural flow of water and native aquatic species. Here is the 2007 operating schedule, when you can see Royal Botanical Gardens staff raise the fishway baskets, separating carp from desirable species. March: Monday to Friday, 2:30 p.m. April through June: Monday to Friday and Sundays, 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. * Good Friday, April 6, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. * Earth Day, April 21, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. * Note: Sunday lifts will occur April 15 and 29, May 13 and 27, June 3 and 17. The fishway will not operate on the preceding Fridays. July through September: Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 a.m., and Fridays, 3 p.m. October and November: Weather-dependent. Fishway opens for free passage under appropriate conditions. In late fall, the fishway is expected to remain open for passage of fish until freeze-up. Further unscheduled lifts occur during periods of high fish activity.

Project Paradise

2006 highlights

* An estimated increase of 200,000 reeds and 500 water lilies through natural regeneration. * Southern wild rice self-seeded and regrew in several locations. * About 250 volunteers helped add 12,000 wetland plants in strategic sites. * More than 40,000 carp were blocked and 4,000 removed from the wetlands. * More than 50,000 native fish were transferred in and out of spawning grounds through the fishway and 10 million new fish were produced. * A record number of amphibians was produced, dominated by American toad and leopard frog. * More than 100,000 migratory birds found food and shelter in the marsh on their journeys north and south. Naturalists report several sightings of bald eagles.

2007 forecast

* Noticeably better water quality as a combined sewer overflow tank on Chedoke Creek goes into operation. * 99 per cent carp exclusion, up from 95 per cent. * Westdale Creek habitat improvement, now that sewage overflows have been reduced. * The best year in the last 30 for fish and wildlife reproduction, thanks to newly regenerated habitat combined with plenty of water in lakes and streams. * Another 50,000 fish passing through the fishway on their way to and from spawning grounds.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

The most recent status report on Hamilton Harbour indicates that by last year fish and wildlife habitat restoration had made "visible progress." With the construction of the carp barrier at Cootes Paradise, we have seen a tremendous improvement in fish populations as a direct result of fish habitat restoration," said Vic Cairns, manager of the Great Lakes Laboratory for Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences at Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Here studies are taken to figure out what the heck to do with these toxic fish....notice eating them isn't an option. burying them isn't even an option as THEY ARE TOO TOXIC

Assessment of Fish, Underwater Plants and Carp Movement in Hamilton Harbour and Cootes Paradise: Cleanup funds and Department of Fisheries and Oceans' funds were combined to monitor the status of the littoral fish community (3 times during the season by electrofishing 40 transects) and submerged plant community (once using SCUBA) in Hamilton Harbour. Electrofishing was used to determine if carp overwintered in Cootes Paradise. In addition, radio tags were attached to 48 carp to monitor their movements in and out of the Cootes Paradise Marsh. Forty carp of various sizes and ages were taken from the harbor and sampled for contaminants in order to determine use and/or disposal requirements for the operation of the carp barrier/fishway ($64,000).
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Findings: The IJC's Status Assessment confirmed successes and obstacles in the restoration process for the Hamilton Harbour AOC. Examples of both are detailed below in order to document and promote successful activities and help overcome the obstacles.

Sorting of fish and removal of carp at Cootes Paradise Carp Barrier

ImageImage
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

During the spring of 1995, construction of the fishway started on the Cootes Paradise side of the Desjardins Canal in Hamilton, Ontario. This remedial technique is just one of several initiatives to rehabilitate fish and wildlife communities in the Hamilton Harbour Area of Concern. The fishway prevents carp from entering Cootes Paradise marsh in the late winter and early spring while providing both upstream and downstream access for other species of fish such as pike, walleye and bass. It is proposed that this measure will help establish aquatic plants and reduce desiment suspension. It will also lead to long-term control of the carp population by restructuring the fish community to create a higher piscivorous (feeding on fish) population to feed on young-of-the-year carp.

The first phase of construction consisted of the building of an access road and a bailey bridge across the mouth of Chedoke Creek. This road will become a public walkway owned by the City of Hamilton and the first link in the trail that is proposed to run from Princess Point, cross over the Desjardins Canal area and end at the Harbourfront Park (Simser, 1995). The second phase consisted of building the actual carp barrier. The fishway, which was designed by Beak Consultants, is comprised of three separate functioning sections.

A south end secton allows all fish except carp to enter in Cootes Paradise. To reach the marsh, fish swim into one of six chambers (1.2 metres wide) where they become trapped. Personnel automatically raise the chambers and sort-out the carp while allowing all other fish to proceed.
A centre section consists of a series of grate openings (5cm wide). The openings allow small fish to move freely from Cootes Paradise to Hamilton Harbour, but restict access to 95% of the adult carp (those bigger than 30cm). Removal of these grates in early September enables any remaining carp to leave Cootes Paradise during their fall migration to overwinter in the Harbour. In mid-February the grates are reinstalled before the ice leaves the marsh and the carp return from the Harbour.
A north-end section allows all fish to travel in one direction from Cootes Paradise to the Harbour (Environment Canada, 1996).

Other features of the design by Beak Consultants include: provision for passage of wildlife, such as turles and ducklings; provision for cleaning of the barrier screen; provision for passage of canoes, kayaks and a shallow-draft police emergency boat; consideration of human safety, through design features, fencing and signage; and, public viewing opportunites and interpretive signage (Beak Consultants, 1993).

The barrier was completed in 1995 and started its first year of operation in 1996. For several weeks the carp were being turned back at the Fishway. Signs of healthy marsh conditions such as improved water clarity, increased numbers of yellow perch, large moth bass and young pike were evident and growth of submergent plant colonies along the shoreline and open water were measurable. There was a general sense of optimism until two mature carp were detected during monitoring activities. As more carp entered the marsh some were identified as those which were captured, marked and sorted at the Fishway weeks earlier.

Since carp exclusion is an essential first step in the restoration process, divers immediately conducted an under water inspection to determine the cause of the breach (Simser, 1996). Through this investigation, it was discovered that carp were entering Cootes Paradise through gaps in the barrier. It is thought that the breach occurred in late May shortly after a major spring storm. This weekend storm brought a massive amount of debris down the watershed and into the Fishway. That debris scoured away at the rock apron that was put in place to seal the sorting baskets against the marsh bottom. The scouring action combined with natural settlement allowed small gaps between the rocks to occur and the carp squeezed through enterin the marsh.

RBG staff, Dean Construction, Munck Cranes, Public Works Canada, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Project Advisory Committee met several times over the spring and summer to identify the problems and to develop the solutions. It was determined that the rock apron needed to be reinstated and fortified with additonal rock and metal plates. An automatic debris remover needs to be designed and installed on the upstream side to handle large volumes of storm related flotsam (RBG, 1996).

steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

I hope these articles at least shed some light as to what is going on down here. If your opinion is "still" unchanged, thats fine, everyone has right to their own opinion, but at least you have some facts.
twinky
Participant
Participant

Post by twinky »

You sound like a Lawyer, skating around the questions. :lol:

For those whome want to look it up for yourselves, here is the link.

For most parts, Carp can be eaten, even thow we wish to release them. I'm sure the GOVERNMENT would put it in the guide if they were "toxic"

So go ahead try it marinated, it's great!!!

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/guide/

twink :wink:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Here ya go. Right from the Guide you provided. I'm sure most can read the portion i've exerted below.

mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

steve-o

Post by mikemicropterus »

Good posts steve, I like when the topic is backed-up by evidence and not conjecture. I know I may pee pee of some carop fisherpeople BUT carp are a problem and are getting worse.

I have fished the Rideau river for 20 yeras and the change is very noticeable. I thought and so did others that it was just thwe natural evolution of the river but now I believe aftre watching carp spawn in June and in the shallowws they are destroying other fish habitat. The rideau used to have lilly pads galore and now it's hard to find them. Largemouth used to live there, now there are areas devoid of any vegetation or cover and that is what the bass and other fish used for eating and surviving as well as spawning. I would estimate that 70% of the cover that used to be in the river is gone and will not return until the rootuing nature of the carp is erradicated.

Also years ago the used to have a carp derby out of Morrisburg. Bow fishing and the carp was taken away in dumpsters to the local dog food company. The winning team would bring in 2300 plus pounds of carp. I talked to one team who were 3rd with 1800lbs of carp. Well a lady whose dog died of a tumor was going to sue the dog food plant and so the plant stopped using carp in its ingredients. And the derby stopped being put on I believe they still have one in the states. Nobody objected to that kind of culling and this still should be done.

THEY ARE AN EVASIVE SPECIES< NOT NATIVE WHO ARE THEIR NATURAL ENEMIES IN OUR WATERS

And they are toxic they are bottom feeders and most of our water have alot of toxins buried in the silt and that is where these fish dine from.

In fact Hamilton harbour is very toxic and some simple investigating will bring that fact to light. STEEL MILLS are a reason.

://fish-hawk.net/
lars56ca
Participant
Participant

Post by lars56ca »

Steve.
I don't know enough about this project to have an opinion one way or the other, BUT, as you stated
" Here studies are taken to figure out what the heck to do with these toxic fish....notice eating them isn't an option. burying them isn't even an option as THEY ARE TOO TOXIC "

How can anyone possibly justify leaving these 'toxic' fish to rot above ground and so close to the water?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

there i agree with you. 100%

these fish need to be 'disposed of'.

i dont necessarily agree that the method used was the best.

however, they need to be taken out of the harbour.....

unfortunately the carp have been deemed to toxic to use as fertalizer, as 'food', as well, anything.....

i'm certainly open for discussion as to "what to do with them".

there has to be a better method of disposing of these fish....i firmly believe if there was a proper method, there would be at least 50% more carp taken and destoryed.