Sad story out of Hamilton this morning.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sad story out of Hamilton this morning.

Post by Jackel »

Noticed this link on Carp Anglers Group this morning.

Being a carp angler, I found it very disturbing.

Jackel 8)

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp ... 4656511815
ShotgunRiderRob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ShotgunRiderRob »

That is crazyyyyyyy! Why would they not at least try to annouce doing this,least to give away instead of rotting or stock somewhere else!
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Sad :cry:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

it is not sad, it is necessary. they are toxic. please see the consumption guide. they cannot be even used for fertalizer.

this was a fantastic move! as someone who fishes the bay weekly, and has seen the changes it has gone through in the last five years, please reserve judgement until you understand what is going on.

see this link for a start.

http://www.hamiltonharbour.ca/
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I'm on the fence about this. I love to fish for them, but I know that they tend to over-populate and can cause ecological damage. As far as them being toxic, I think thats a myth.
Sof
Participant
Participant

Post by Sof »

This is a good thing in my opinion. They should do this everywhere.

I've been fishing the Grand River since I was 12 or younger (21 now) and I used to remember catching decent sized smallies on a regular basis. Now the carp population is very high, they are everywhere. And I've noticed less and less nice sized smallies. Obviously its not directly related to the high Carp population only, but I know they are a huge part of it.
twinky
Participant
Participant

Post by twinky »

First of all I would like to say that I am new on the board :) and looks to be a great bunch of guys and gals.

Steve-Hamilton and SOF

I just wanted to say that I have NO opinion on this but I did want to let you know that when the hard core carp guys see waht you wrote, you are going to get slammed and eaten alive. :lol:

Happy fishing everyone,

twink :wink:
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Eaten alive :lol: :lol: :lol: I like that one.

S-H

I think you should reserve you comments until you do research on this your self. :roll:

Telling people they are toxic :?: :?: :?: Is that why there are receipes on the net :?: Is that when there are telling people to feed it to there pets :?: Use it as fertilizer :?: C'mon. :roll:

If I eat carp (I will this year) I don't think I am going to glow in the dark any more than if I eat walleye out of the Ottawa river. :lol:

As for the last 5 years, I don't think that would be the carp, they have been around for over 125 years. They did not just decide multiply only in the last 5.

Most people do not know much about carp so I have attached a link so some can read.

I am not saying they don't do damage but you must get your facts first.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/cyprinus_carpio.htm

Jackel
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

I still can't figure out what consumption guide you are using. :?

When I look at the 07-08 Ontario consuption guide I have found that you can eat carp 1-8 times per month depending on location. :?

Also, I can't find where it say's carp are toxic. :?

Can you point me in the right direction. :?: :?: :?:

Jackel
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Jackel, I think he meant carp are toxic in that area, not all carps are toxic, but what comes to my mind is , why they kill em and say that in a couple of days the animals will have eaten them??? Toxic only for humans???? I agree that they might need to get rid of some if they are overtaking the area, same reason some years that they offer extra Doe tags for certain areas. But if they need to get rid of some then get rid of them for good I am sure that there are incenerators that could be used.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

They are an invasive species, not naturally in our waters. From what I've read and seen, they breed quickly and infact do damage and harm our natural species of fish.

I've seen, on tv, a program specifically about this. This place in the States, went as far as to construct an underwater electric fence to keep them at bay, preventing them from travelling further.
f_b
Participant
Participant

Post by f_b »

let's not forget that bass, salmon and trout are not natrual to our waters as well, carp have been here since the 1800's blaming them for a recent delcline in a fishery is hog wash, get your facts straight before you post.

On another note if you think that killing 500 fish and leaving them to rot on the bank is good, than give your head a shake. It doesn't matter if it was bass, walleye or pike, it's still both illegal and morally wrong.

The underwater fence was developed to stop the migration of the Big Head and silver carp from making it's way into the Great Lakes, from the Mississippi, not the common carp.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Yep, FB, txs. Was to prevent migration to the Great Lakes. I obviously went to the kitchen for a snack when they mentioned specific species.

I don't condone senseless slaughter but like Wolfe's adored Komorants, if #'s are out of whack and more damage than good is done ultimately.

Something would need to be done, don't you think?

The BIG problem is how to do that the best way.
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Those carp were probably disposed that way to show and appease sport anglers. If they destroy other fisheries why not control them! Just because they were introduced in our waters, doesn't mean we have to accept them especially if they uproot plants that have other species eggs attached to them. They grow big very fast and there isn't enough huge predatory fish to control them.

If they're creating an imbalance in our waters, and there isn't any other way nature can deal with them, man has to intervene.

I have gutted one many years ago.....believe me, there is nothing edible about them!

There is a similar problem with channel cats, but at least they don't destroy reproductive habitat.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Joe,

I'll invite you when we cook one up on the BBQ. :lol:

Jackel 8)