Sad story out of Hamilton this morning.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

I love when people attack others on a public forum from the safety of their homes cowering behind a computer screen. This is a message board where individuals post information and discuss opinions. From what I read here Steve didn't start anyhthing, he posted his opinions, backed them up with some published information and gave some of his first hand observations too. I guess though that some individuals see the need to try and start a pi$$ing match over an incident that no one here is responsible for or had a part of. Whether it was right or wrong that the fish were killed or whether they were disposed of properly and the reasons for doing both is really the only issue. The jabs and pot shots were not necessary, I guess though it is easier to belittle someone you don't agree with when you don't like something you are reading.

b.t.w. I didn't see the word toxic in the information provided either, but I guess if they recommend not consuming something it must not be very good for me. Maybe it's poisonous or it's unfit. It's hard to get someones attention as Steve did by saying "Don't eat that, it's 0 in the consumption guide!!!" Doesn't quite have the same effect eh.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Wow, that was a fun read, its been awhile since we had one of these. I have noticed that there really are two sides to this of which I dont have an opinion, but there is a common thread here and it is one side of people from what I see knows each other. I mean I have lurked on other sites and the people for this ,are members of the same board and I have read they fish together, so naturally they stick up for and most of the time will agree with each other and vice versa.

I think some people also come off the wrong way sometimes and may appear to be " Know it alls ". Maybe their intentions are good but they seem to throw out that they know more than everyone else on pretty much every fishing related subject. Maybe they do, I dont know, but I know it rubs some people the wrong way. So maybe if there is a debate on something in the future it just should be phrased differently so people wont get upset.

If of course you are an expert than maybe state so. I am not disputing anything said on both sides here, as there are a lot of facts posted. I know very little of carp fishing but I am looking forward to trying it soon hopefully.

If they do cause harm to certain areas they I agree that maybe there has to be some control put in to effect but I definitely do not agree with the way this particular incident went down.

They are ugly fish though, I gotta say that. And I am an expert on UGLY! :lol:

Nice thread Jackel, definitely a good and interesting read.

Well I fell into this like a sucker! :lol:

Call me Sweden (neutral)
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Ok to wrap this up for me.

Obviously some of you do not understand or do not want to understand the reason as to why I have posted this. :? Misleading the puplic into believing that the reason for the problem is due to the overpopulation of carp habitat in that area is wrong. There are other factors that play part in this. How about steelmills on the bay? Do you think that does not play part? Anyway, that's getting off topic. For those who have more than 2 braincells, you will know the reason behind this post.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and for most that have not tried, go carp fishing, you'll love it. I know I do. :)

Crash,

Don't be shy next time, post away.

Jackel 8)
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

8)

This site needs mods. Something need to be done to clean up the weekly mess that seems to arise. I use to be able to call this an online ''Communitiy'' but no one seems to get along :roll: If it wasn't for the few regular 'Active' contributing members, I would not even bother posting here anymore. I have stopped posting many of my thoughts here because of some of the negative reactions I get once all said and done. Theres more name calling here than in a damn schoolyard :? I have nothing to say on this topic but its pretty clear it's going no where anyway. Steve pretty much summed it all up.

Rob, time to do something man.. We need a few garbage men to clean up this mess...

By the way, crappie are biting on the Ottawa 8)
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

Just to clarify here, I have never fished with Steve and I'm afraid I don't know him either. I think I may have met him once though. I have seen him post elsewhere too, just like I'm sure I have seen many others from this board post on other forums at other sites.

I agree there is obviously a problem with the pollutants in Hamilton, I simply had a problem with the way members here jumped all over someone who had a different point of view on a subject. I'm afraid I didn't quite see the point in that. How does that benefit any discussion? If I say something you don't agree with, do you immediately slap me in the face??? That is the equivalent of how this topic fell apart. That is my only problem with this post. I am also done posting on this, the verbal jousting is quite boring and typical of the way this site has changed in the last couple of years.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Tip-up,

Nice to hear from you. For the most part, it's not bad but we can't keep running to Bobber everytime we don't like something. He can determin if it is suitable or not when he reads it and I'm sure he has. It would be a F/T job just keeping up with it.

Unlike SH, I don't call these debates. Maybe for him its a compitition but for most of us it's not. Not sure about everyone else but the only reason I joined this forum was to meet a few good people so we could go fishing together, and some have become good friends. I agree some like to turn water into Sh*t but I still think it's a good bunch of guys and gals here.(for the most part)

Like you told "waterfowler" last year, it's Fish-Hawk not Sh*t-Hawk

Have a great day,

Jackel 8)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Isn't a Sh&$ hawk a seagull :lol:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I wonder what Taylor thinks about this OOOPPPSSS Did I say that!!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

:shock: :shock: :!:
Last edited by Badger Shark on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Oh no Wallyboss Why!? :lol: :!:
taylor
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by taylor »

Wallyboss wrote:I wonder what Taylor thinks about this OOOPPPSSS Did I say that!!
I've been following along. I don't have an opinion on the debated carp topic, but I will tell you what I think about the back portion of this post.

The truth is, whenever a pile of crap gets post/strated here, you can count on the same 3 sh*tflies will be cirlcing it.

Thanks for the info Steve. Good read.
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Post by Big-Ty »

almontefisher wrote:Isn't a Sh&$ hawk a seagull :lol:
I call 'em Newfie Chickens...
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I could go for some Newfie steak right about now, man I am hungry.

Hey Taylor, welcome back, long time no read. Relax, and watch the language there are kids on here sometimes.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

WHOA....People ......relax. boy ...a couple weeks to go till open fishing season and all H#LL breaks loose ...over carp and carp in Hamilton no less ...invasive species are invasive species ...period.
I have to agree with Tip-up, all this negative crap, not very good for FH people.

The more it happens the less people post....such a shame.

Matt
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I just read the whole thread....and I don't see a whole lot of negative personally.....and heck...FH even got a few new members.. :lol: ...Controversy sells again!

I thought it was great to get a perpective from someone who actually lives in the area...fishes that water and gets a local perspective to what's going on.....clearly it's an issue if they spent 2 million on trying to keep the carp out of their area....

Of course the pic of 500 carp on the bank gets everyone going, myself included....even if it some it is "only" carp....just imagine if they were smallmouth being eradicated from brookie lakes up north!...or crappies in the Kawarthas that locals beleive to be ruining their walleye stocks...just imagine the outcry then...it shouldn't matter the species...

I don't know enough about the situation personally as to whether they should or shouldn't have done it...but they should have never been left to rot on the bank....

Maybe I do only have one brain cell left...but why did ya post it Jackel if it wasn't to encite people?....to get everyone to write letters to RBG?....to call them and give em hell?

I'm sure by now the MNR has received 200 calls about this from people who have read about it on the internet and will look into it.....I'll be very curious to see their response....

RJ