Sad story out of Hamilton this morning.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

You mean where it says between 1 and 4 per month depending on size :?: Ya I see it.

Steve, can you tell me one more time where it says there are very very very very toxic???
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

I can't believe I'm wasting electricity to keep this guy amused. :P
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

this will be my final post on this subject. I feel i have said my side.

these are the toxins found in ALL sizes of Hamilton Bay Carp.

Mercury, other metals, PCBs, mirex/photomirex and pesticides.
Polycyclic aromatic hybrocarbons (PAHs)
Chlorinated phenols and chlorinated benzenes
Dioxins/Furans and Dioxin-like PCBs
PCB congeners

This is why they cannot be eaten (unless they are a baby), or even used as fertalizer. Everyone can make their own judgements. Hopefully Hamilton Harbour will continue to make significant progress towards becoming the wetlands it once was.

A summer evening on the bay.

Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

I can't believe that I am replying to this post. Just because a fish is tested for certain pollutents, and I am refering to the little numbers on page 2 of the guide beside the fish type, doesn't mean it contains them. You will find that explanation at the start of the quide where it tells you how to use them. And it still boils down to a recomendation about the number of meals to be eaten. No where does it state that any particuler fish is toxic.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

From what I saw the the reg's said any carp over 20" was too toxic to eat, so seeing as most carp caught are quite a bit bigger than that then they must be very toxic
TLunge
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Thank you Pints. :) I have been asking for this from S-H for a few days now and it only took you one answer.

Many thanks, this answers my question.

Tlunge,

Over 20" they are not recomended for human consumption and like Pints has pointed out, It does not state anywere that they are toxic. That was only made up by a member on this board.

Jackel 8)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

8)
Last edited by joco on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fluffycarpguy
Participant
Participant

Post by Fluffycarpguy »

steve-hamilton wrote:this will be my final post on this subject. I feel i have said my side.

these are the toxins found in ALL sizes of Hamilton Bay Carp.

Mercury, other metals, PCBs, mirex/photomirex and pesticides.
Polycyclic aromatic hybrocarbons (PAHs)
Chlorinated phenols and chlorinated benzenes
Dioxins/Furans and Dioxin-like PCBs
PCB congeners

This is why they cannot be eaten (unless they are a baby), or even used as fertalizer. Everyone can make their own judgements. Hopefully Hamilton Harbour will continue to make significant progress towards becoming the wetlands it once was.
Dude, every fish that swims in Hamilton Harbour, or most bodies of water in Southern Ontario contain those chemicals and toxins. Try eating a 15lb Lake Trout out of Lake Ontario, probably 10 times more toxic than a Carp.

If your eating any fish out of any lake, the MNR's Guide to eating Sportfish has limits on what is safe to consume.

Its the constant release of toxic chemicals by way of dumping, sewage and run-off that have plunged Cootes Paradise and many other waters into the sad state they are currently in.

Get your facts straight! Glad to hear you won't be shooting your mouth off anymore about something you clearly have very little understanding about.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

I have a neighbor from UK, who has lived in canada for 20 years, he had some old friends from england come to visit, one of whom was a big carp fisherman, so the neighbor got me to take the guy out on the rideau to show him some stuff. Well I have never seen somebody so excited, the carp here just blew his mind, apparently I created a monster as the guy did almost nothing but fish for carp the whole time he was here, and probably beat his personal best multiple times
I was amazed to hear that in england , when these guys land a "rare" carp, they have a special air matress they slide it up on to cushion it nicely,then they remove the hook carefully and actually put some antiseptic on the hook wound, then slide it carefully back in, wow.
I had to laugh when he told me that if someone talked about carp the way most Canadians do , in a pub in england, they might get punched in the face.
different worlds eh.
TLunge
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Interesting point TLunge. I knew the English loved fishing carp. Didn't know we had trophies in their opinion though.

For the sake of arguement..."if" a fish were that toxic, they'd be incinerated, most likely.

The one reoccuring thing I notice about some "controversial" subjects that sometimes become heated is the ONE common characteristic they share.

This always inexplicably creates new members who aggressively and sometimes insultingly counter with their own opinion. Now we ALL know, basic logic dictates no newbie would come accross like that. So, knowing that they are obviously either current members or past members...why not just go by your usual nick?

We're all entitled to an opinion, why hide behind an alias and not air your opinion openly?

Dunno, perhaps this behavior only perplexes me. :?
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I interrupt this some times disturbing thread to say:

"TLunge,

NICE TIGER!!!"

Now back to your regularly scheduled (& frequently hashed out) debate.

W.
f_b
Participant
Participant

Post by f_b »

Kpin wrote:Interesting point TLunge. I knew the English loved fishing carp. Didn't know we had trophies in their opinion though.

For the sake of arguement..."if" a fish were that toxic, they'd be incinerated, most likely.

The one reoccuring thing I notice about some "controversial" subjects that sometimes become heated is the ONE common characteristic they share.

This always inexplicably creates new members who aggressively and sometimes insultingly counter with their own opinion. Now we ALL know, basic logic dictates no newbie would come accross like that. So, knowing that they are obviously either current members or past members...why not just go by your usual nick?

We're all entitled to an opinion, why hide behind an alias and not air your opinion openly?

Dunno, perhaps this behavior only perplexes me. :?
I can honestly say that fluffy carp guy was not a member of this site before this thread, as neither was I.
twinky
Participant
Participant

Post by twinky »

Hey Buddy. I joined a few weeks ago before Stevie boy started all this Sh*T.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Well, I apparently stand corrected. I must have missed all your introduction posts gentlemen.

I'm still confused though... :? Why not just state your points without the aggressiveness? It's like walking into a party where you know no one and loudly yell.."I'm here!" Without introducing yourself.

Guess I'm clueless in this regard as I still don't understand.

However, welcome to the site, it's a great place, with a multitude of info on all and many great people. I'm sure you'll like it here! :lol:
Last edited by Kpin on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: