Buying a used boat, trailer and ministry requirements

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Buying a used boat, trailer and ministry requirements

Post by Bass assassin »

Ok, so I am a rookie at this trailering thing. What does the ministry require to allow you to pull a homemade trailer? Does it have to be safetied? I know I need to get a trailer tag for it but is anything else required? How about the boat itself? Does is need to be registrered? Only insured for its value under home items? Or does it need insurance like a vehicle??
Thanks for the help.
Craig,
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Craig,
I am not too sure about the home made trailer, as for the boat you have to go to the ministry with the owership papers (reciept) all the specs. ie. make model year etc. They will then register your boat and give you a number to slap on te side of it. As for insurance you can get it insured on its own but others keep it under their home insurance as well.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

I should mentiion that this boat is a 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9hp motor. Do all boats need to be registered? I would like to know more about the trailer though. Anyone else have an idea?
Craig.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hello Craig,
I bought a 2nd hand boat last year.
My first stop was the Ministry of transport office in Kanata. I had the bill of sale and the transfer of ownership for the trailer, Boat and Motor. They changed the ownership of the trailer gave me a license plate over and charged me the PST for the whole package. Be prepared to pay the PST for the value of your Bill of sale. As far as I know boats with less than a 10 HP motor DO NOT have to be registered with Transport Canada. This is why you see a lot of 9.9 motors. If you do have to register the boat the you go to a Service Canada office (There is an outlet at Lincoln Heights Plaza on Carling Ave in Ottawa West). You fill out a form. I Remember I had a signed Transport Canada form from the previous owner. I think he obtained it on oline. This service was free of charge. The Ministry of Transport rep answered alot of my questions on steps I hade to take to register my boat.
This is just what I remember. So Correct me if I am wrong.
Have fun with your boat and good fishing!
Daver
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I have a home-made trailer that I built in 1986...back then I just took a photo with me and was able to get a plate permit. The V.I.N. shows as FILE#XXXXXXXXXX.....the MAKE shows as HOME...you may want to bring in some specifics such as tire size, gross weight, etc....but i don't think that's necessary...at least it wasn't back then.

Good luck!
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

OK guts thanks. I don;t see any type of registration number (ie on the boat) at all. In fact the owner would take the plate off his other homemade trailer for the short trip to the water. So all I have is the serial bumber off the plate on the boat by the manufacturer (ie model, serial number etc, hp rating). I don;t think the thing was registered at all. Can I not get all the boat specifics done later? I am heading out to pick up the boat tomorrow aft and figured I would swing by the Ministry tomorrow am to grab a plate for th trailer. I guess I won;t be able to until I have the boat????
Craig.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Only boats powered with horsepower greater than 10 need to be registered, so a 12 ft aluminium with 9.9 is OK. You're good to go as far as putting it on the water.

For the trailer, you need to license it for sure if you plan on towing it on Ontario roads and highways. As far as safety is concerned, I'm not 100% sure what you need to do, however I'm pretty sure the department of motor vehicles will not release a plate to you unless you have some proof that it is safe to drive on our roads.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
vdrive
Participant
Participant

Post by vdrive »

I've registered several trailers I built myself. Under a certain weight without brakes you simply tell the weight, number of axles, and the fact you built it yourself. They don't even know if you should tell them empty trailer weight or loaded weight ! Anyway, I've always said 750lbs, 1 axle, did not bring receipts or anything like that, and most amazing of all, no safety check required !. You sign an affadavit, pay for the plate/permit and your done.

I don't think you are technically registering your boat when you get a number...the guy at Transport Canada laughed at me when I told him I wanted to "register" my 23' sailboat, he said why don't you get a Panamanian registration ! There used to be an exclusion for under 10 hp but I think they done away with it. Mine aren't registered.

When you buy a boat and trailer, always get a separate receipt for the trailer...that way when you register it you only pay tax on the trailer portion.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Interesting. I find that you don't have to have a safety to be a little amazing really, but there you have it. Thanks.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

I agree with you Bobber. Pretty amazing that you don't need the safety. Interesting to know what's on the road. This thing looks really solid. Thanks again guys. I am going to pick her up later this week. Hopefully get the paperwork done today.
Craig
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Just one extra thing to remember,

Since your boat is UNDER 14 feet, you HAVE to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card!

Don't forget!!

Lots of places online to take the exam etc...Prices vary but 35-50 seems to be the range for the card...