fish finder frustration

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fasttroll
Participant
Participant

fish finder frustration

Post by fasttroll »

Hey all - been lurking for a while, time to ask a question - I've just installed a Humminbird 585 fishfinder. I'm picking up bottom structure, weeds, and I think what are bait balls, and there are a few fish being ID'ed in the balls. Trouble is, Im marking virtually no fish whatsoever anywhere else. I drove around the lake for about three hours, adjusting the transducer level, trying to get a fuller bounce, but no luck. I've used a Lowrance X70A in the past, and that thing picked up everything. Are Humminbirds just less sensitive/advanced or do I have something wrong with either the unit or the transducer? The fact that some fish are being picked up suggests that things are working, but maybe those are just the strongest targets and the unit is missing everything else. Thanks in advance for any help. John.
gussser
Participant
Participant

Post by gussser »

any buttons to increase senitivity????
fasttroll
Participant
Participant

Post by fasttroll »

Yep - it has a fish sensitivity range - went all through it with no luck. :x
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Fast troll: What you might have been seeing with your old Lowrance is litter, leaves, floating crap, or even the thermal line. My old Lowrance showed a ton of fish, on the screen, often lined up nose to tail (stick) The 585 is an excellent unit for the price. I am sure it is working properly if it is showing balls of bait. Anyway, they should be called structure finders, not fish finders. :lol:

IMHO

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Is it possible that the fish were all balled up in that end of the lake? or were you catching in other places
TLunge