Reel Preference

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Reel Preference

Poll ended at Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:50 pm

Penn
5%
Shimano
74%
Daiwa
21%

Total votes: 19

BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

1) Pflueger
2) Quantum
3) Mitchell

No diawa in my hands ever again. There junk........
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shiamano, Pinnacle, Pflueger

Post by grumpy7790 »

I do like Shimanos and have used Curados and Stradics for years.

Recently I tried a few Pinnacles and I'm now hooked. The price on these 8 BB reels are awesome. The Carrera in both Spin and the new Baitcaster are very smooth. The BPS Rick Clunn reels and the new Cabelas Prodigy are made also by Silstar (i.e. Pinnacle/Pflueger). The Carreras can be had for $60.

G
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Moose: Shimanos are great reels, BUT ... they tend to bind if they get dunked and won't work properly again until they're dry. If you rarely get a reel wet, no problem. But if you wade a lot, or fish from a kayak or tube, you may want to try something else.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Moose: Shimanos are great reels, BUT ... they tend to bind if they get dunked and won't work properly again until they're dry. If you rarely get a reel wet, no problem. But if you wade a lot, or fish from a kayak or tube, you may want to try something else.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

reel preference

Post by Jigs »

:D

Quantum snapshot here, in both larger and smaller size. Inexpensive, smooth drag, wears well.

I have bought 4 of these over the years, and still use the original, still functions well.

Probably not for Musky, but have landed some pretty big Pike and Pickerel using these.

Regards: Jigs.
Cyress
Participant
Participant

Post by Cyress »

I have a shimano curado and I can't recomend it enough.

best reel I have ever purchased

I really have no fondness for Abu, and have not fished Penn anything except fly rods.

I usually buy Shimano and Quantum and am never dissapointed in them

thats my 2 cents
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: reel preference

Post by Steve G »

[quote="Jigs"]:D

Quantum snapshot here, in both larger and smaller size. Inexpensive, smooth drag, wears well.quote]

I have 2 snaphots, and will not buy another, as both have worn out...in my opion prematurely, on the one the trigger broke off, and had to rebalance the reel, by installing a counter weight bolt... time for somthing new.

Still looking, need to buy a boat first this year, then hide/sneak in the extra fishing purchases. (Rods, Reels, Down riggers, fish finders, trolling motor,,,,)
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

sparky wrote:Moose: Shimanos are great reels, BUT ... they tend to bind if they get dunked and won't work properly again until they're dry. If you rarely get a reel wet, no problem. But if you wade a lot, or fish from a kayak or tube, you may want to try something else.
Grrreat point, thanks for the reminder. I shouldn't be using this reel and rod combo often, if at all with my float tube. It's my smaller Shimano I usually use, and yes, your point is well taken.

Strangely I bet if I had included Quantums and Abus in the Poll the percentages would maybe be in their favour.................................

Should I start over?????????? :?: :? :?
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

Have to go with Quantum & Shimano.
DonD
Participant
Participant

Post by DonD »

Got 4 abu's
2 shimano's
1 Daiwa
and 2 no names that still work just fine after 6 yrs, both baitcaster's
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Have used quantums (baitcaster and spinning) reels for years. Picked up a Shimnao Curado last year and a couple of shimano cardiffs the year before.

Recently sold all quantum baitcasters except my Quantum PT

As for quantum spinning reels I have been using a Blue runner for over 5 years and is still going strong. I also use a Quantum Kinetic. I am with Steve G on the snapshots. Went through too many of them,never worked well. Also used a Shimano Spirex 4000. never liked it

I also use ABU reels for muskie. This year I picked up a Pflueger trion.

Current preference: Baitcaster - Shimano Curado, Quantum PT, Abu Garcia C3 (5600 and 6500 size) Shimano cardiff

Spinning: Quantum Blue Runner, Kinetic
Canucks Fan
Participant
Participant

Post by Canucks Fan »

Wow, I'm surprised with the poor result that Daiwa got. I recently bought a Daiwa Capricorn and loved it. It is very smooth and precise. Here's an article that compared the Capricorn vs the Shimano Stradic. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshootoutcapstrad.shtm
The Capricorn came out with a slight edge, and the Sahara that you are considering is inferior to the Stradic.
For Quantums, their reels defintely got some fancy features but they are relatively new in the reel industry. I've heard, both from retailers and fellow fisherman, of malfunctioning problems from Quantum reels.