Reel Preference

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Reel Preference

Poll ended at Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:50 pm

Penn
5%
Shimano
74%
Daiwa
21%

Total votes: 19

Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Reel Preference

Post by Moosebunk »

Alrighty then...

I'm looking at three new spincast reels for a reel-less rod at home here. I don't need all 3 so I'll use your help to narrow it down.

1. Penn Fresh/Saltwater reel
2. Shimano Sahara
3. Daiwa SS Tournament Series or, Hardbody.

I'm looking for a bigger reel to spool 10-12lb diameter line, but will withstand working a superline of similar diameter but heavier test. The lure will accompany a Fenwick MH Walleye Class rod (6-17lb).
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I like the Shimano Curado and the Abu 5600 and 6500 Series
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Non of the above for me. I'm an ABU supporter through and through. They are inexpensive, great drag system, low matainence and most of all....never let me down.

I've been playing around with my daughters new Diawa and I have to admit it's a great little reel. Has been tested against a full day of catching fish yet though.
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

Quantum
Abu Garcia
BASS MASTER
Pflueger
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Quantums and Abus here

K.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Big time Quantum fan, followed by Abu.

I like Quantum (Catalyst for example) for quality and smoothness. Abu has a good quality / price ratio IMHO.

Rescue78
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

No fair those choices weren't part of the list to choose from!

But then again I have Daiwa for spinning and love it. I'm looking at Quantum or Abu for spinning but I still have to figure out how they work.

I'm going to have to get a hold of ICEMAN soon to test out his rigs.

Carlco
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hey CB!

Post by Cancatchbass »

CB- Those are not spinning reels! :lol:

Moosebunk: I'd go with the Sahara. Here's why:

First, Penn reels tend to be well made but the freshwater reels are usually considerably heavier than average. (read more tiring to use/harder to balance on many rods). I also suspect servicing/parts might not be as readily available as some other makes.

Diawas I don't like based on past experience- they've had some reel lemons in the past, even in their premium lines. Their direct customer service used to be really lacking, actually non-existent. I also don't like Diawa, period. Despite the fact they are a major player in the tackle industry, they give nothing back to the anglers that support them. See any Daiwa live release boats recently? There are none. See Daiwa as a major sponsor for fishing events - charitable or tournaments? Not hardly likely. Why support a company that takes your money and runs? Pure Fishing and Shimano are prime examples of Corporations giving back to the anglers who support them. :)

The Cardinal reels (made by Abu- Pure Fishing) are decent reels, depending on the price level- anywhere from decent to pretty good. But they weren't among your three choices.

So that brings us back to the Sahara. It's a decent low-mid range reel that will likely serve your purposes quite well. Hopefully you're looking at the 2500? I have never seen any use for those monstrous 4000 series reels that weigh over 12 ounces for freshwater fishing, unless you really need a lot of line for salmon fishing or whatever.

CCB
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

4000 series CCB.. i use 6500 series for my carp fishing but having 250+ yards of line on is sometimes a good thing :wink:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

.....LOL..just re read the post...missed that he was looing at spin cast only... :? My bad
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hey John!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Hey John!

Carp are the 'whatever' I was referring to! :lol:

And, yes, when fishing from shore I have been spooled by carp :oops:, although I can usually turn them.

But in a boat, I just chase them down with the trolling motor- they can run, but they can't hide. :lol:

CCB
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Moosebunk while i've always gone for shimmano and never had one let me down they can be a little higher in price to others with the same specs.. personally i'd drop into paddletales or baitcasters and get some additional advice from the guys that sell them. Okuma has got some nice spinning reels as well and many have better features such as more bb aluminum spool etc...
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

I do love my Quantum Kinetic and Catalyst spinning rigs.
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

spinning reels

Post by mitch »

I hear what CCB has to say about Daiwa corporately but that aside. I have had an SS700 for over 15 years and only ever replaced one external part and one of my fishing partners has had a ss1300 for the same amount of time. He likes his so much that he purchased another of the same model last year as the prices had dropped. This particular Daiwa series reel, in my opinion, is the best I've seen out there for a long time. I also own some Shimano's, Abu's and Quantuum's (next to top of the line models) and have never regretted my Daiwa. Matter fact my 700 is loaded with 4lb. test and ready for some crappie.

Mitch
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

:D :D :D :D :D

Wow, 3 hours in to the poll and some great answers. I had a feeling Penn would be low on the list and Shimano high.

I totally agree with Quantums and Abus being a big prefernece as well. It's an Abu Cardinal series reel that I have had longer than any other and it continues to work great, and my father loves his Quantums and fishes with nothing else now. Unfortunately though, it is an Abu Agenda Series reel I am replacing for this rod. After a few great pike outings the drag seems to be done. I also had an even larger size Abu Agenda once before that went to H*LL. (inexperience killed that one, or maybe it was destined to die because it was cheaper) I did pick up a baitcaster (my first) at the TO Show this spring (another Abu) and am anxious to get using it, but I love fishing the Fenwick Rod I have that a new reel needs to accompany.

A friend picked up the Penn reel I listed. CCB you're right, it is a little heavier but it looks durable and my buddy who fishes with it seems to like it. It has big time line capacity and when you get into the size class I'm looking at I believe it is less than an ounce heavier than the other reels listed. Although he has one I don't see many others with a Penn, and I do tend to out fish him. :lol: (don't tell him that though)

The Daiwa Reels are a recognizable brand. I've never used one but a fair number seem to. Sometimes it pays to try something new.

Shimano are the front runners. Most people don't complain with this product. I do enjoy a smaller shimano reel I have for my lighter outfit although it seems a little noisier in comparison to my Abu Cardinal reel.

I'm sceptical to go back to Abu for a larger reel. Where I live does not give me the chance to look over reels in a store. I missed an opportunity to pick up a new one when I was in T.O. and Ottawa a few weeks ago, but I was busy concentrating on more of my fly fishing and tying needs.

I apprecitate all this input. Please keep it coming. I will certainly let you folks know what I decide early next week.