Bait Caster's 6th Annual Pike and Walleye Tournament

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

On top of the great day of fishing you PICK YOUR OWN 50/50 TICKET. I hope you didn't have to work too hard that night to get that horse shoe....nuff said :)

Congrads boys. I guess you didn't need the eye I picked up near you boys midday.

End up with just 3 fish in the well for 7.38 on the day. On more eye like we had and we would have been right there with ya.

Mike
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

A close race indeed. When we opened the well and saw that the walleye were not doing well at all, we figured it was a bust, however much to our delight, even with the penalty, we were able to pull it off.....but not by much for sure.

When Crystal asked me to pick the 50/50 ticket, thoughts of picking my own number came into my head for sure and I said to her...."you watch, if I pick my own number, there'll be heck to pay for sure". Sure enough, as she read the numbers out and asked "who is still in?" I was clinching my smile and giggling inside. :) Then the last number was read and I near bust a gut. What a day. Don't miss out on next year, it's a great tournament.

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
StratosBoy
Participant
Participant

Post by StratosBoy »

Congats to you guys, Your guys work very hard for this. Tell everybody the truth. Dream Hard and Drink Hard your day will come through. :D

Cheers
:wink:
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Congratulations guys on the 1rst place finish at the tournament :P .
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

It sure is a great tournament. I like the way the way you can drive yourself crazy with second guessing yourself as the day goes on. We always try to catch the pickerel bite in the morning. But when do we start to look for pike?

By 9:30 we had a 3.4 lb eye and another that I guess was about 1.5 lbs. We decided to keep fishing for eyes until 11:00, hoping we could get another one like the first. But it was some hard to keep fishing for eyes till 11:00 when we hadn't had a bite in the last hour.

But the day started out like a Fish-hawk Adventure. I picked up our new ride from Laurentian Marine on Friday night around supper time. I didn't really have time to check all the systems out. We launched Fish-Hawk 7 for the first time Saturday morning at the Baitcasters Tourney.

As the lake began to fill up with tournament boats, I thought I had better put the trolling motor in and get ready to start avoiding bumping into other boats. This year, instead of the standard Powerdrive trolling motor we have had for four years, Bobber wanted one of those trolling motors with the cable modem... or something like that. Looking forward to trying one of these cable modem trolling motors out, I dropped the Minn Kota Edge over the bow and put my foot on the peddle. Nothing.
I checked all the connections. What connections? Nothing.
I looked for a on/off switch. Nothing I could see.
I switched deep cycle batteries. Nothing.
Hmmmmm... Bobber will know what to do.

So I sit behind the wheel and look at the new Lowrance. At least I am confident I can get that working.
I press the power button. Nothing.
I press the power button again. Nothing

There's Bobber waiting on the dock for me to pick him up. I go over and tell him I expect we are going to have more challenges than usual today - the trolling motor and Lowrance aren't working.

Bobber finds the on/off switch on the Minn Kota - the one I was blind to. It works!
I press the Power button on the Lowrance for two seconds - it works too!

I went from sick to my stomach to elation in 3 seconds.

Now Bobber and I have floated out of hearing range of Crystal Baitcaster and her bull horn. We see boats taking off. We're number 10! Where are we in the count? We yell out to the boat next to us. He yells back... THAT WAS 14! For the first time this season, Fish-Hawk 7 has the throttle engaged to the max and we're on our way.

We get to our spot and make a pass. I'm working a black bucktail jig (with a little orange stripe) and minnow, with a stinger hook. We are nearly completing our first circle when I hooked into the 3.4 lb pickerel. Happy? Indeedy! A few casts later, still feeling very giggly, I hooked into something decent again. It turned out I had a rock bass on the jig and a rock bass on the stinger. When those two fish got their acts together and swam in the same direction, I thought I had another 3.4 on.

Bobber got our second eye - the one that relieved a lot of pressure. It gave us the option of going for pike immediately if we wanted to. But we were feeling confident that we could catch a bunch of clone 2.5 lb pike. The big question mark was the pickerel. We decided to keep fishing until 11:00 - hoping to cull and add a lb to the pickerel total. We saw Probassin catch the pickerel that we wanted - and the high five he and his partner shared afterwards. Rats! We didn't cull.

At 11:00 we went pike fishing. At 11:05 it was time to cull pike. I opened up our livewell and there were our two pickerel. One was the shape of a banana and not able to be straightened out. Certainly, getting its gills working was out of the question. The other one looked in rough shape too. Five minutes of trying to revive that one proved fruitless. I tried artificial respiration and CPR, a few heimlich maneuvers, and I even smacked Bobber between his shoulder blades. Our second pickerel was pronounced dead at 11:11.

We were thoroughly rotted. Our good day had just turned to crap. We began to go through the motions of pike fishing. Let's at least have fun catching 30 or 40 pike!

Do you think we could catch pike? Not in the usual spots, anyway. We probably caught a dozen pike, but in the absence of two lively pickerel to back them up, we headed back to shore pretty dejected. The fish gods had dealt us a brutal blow.

The good news was, the rules stipulated only 1/4 lb penalty per dead fish. We lost 1/2 lb in total. I said to Bobber later that night - "Too bad we didn't know we were going to win - we could have had a lot more fun fishing than we did."
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"