trout in rideau river

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

trout in rideau river

Post by Mick »

So I get a call from a friend of mine this morning and he tells me he caught a trout in the Rideau near Kemptville. This is his first year fishing in the area, he is an experienced fisherman but from Western Canada so he has no knowledge of local water.

I was kind of shocked. On the one hand, I know that he knows his fish and isn't prone to BSing. On the other hand, I have never heard tell of anyone catching a trout in the Rideau River. Theoretically possible I guess because they are certainly in the lakes system.

Has anyone else heard / seen a confirmed trout in the Rideau River?

Mick
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Did he say what kind of "trout" he caught?
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I know they stocked the Rideau with Brown Trout back in the '30s.........what species of trout was it? Lake Trout? I couldn't see one of them surviving in the river system.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

maybe you misunderstood him and he said he caught a "pout" as in Mudpout... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be very surprised to see trout in the Rideau... :shock:
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trout in the Rideau

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

Well there's one thing for sure. You're buddy is guilty of one of the following: 1-Way too much alcohol and/or drugs
2-He is a compulsive liar
3-has no idea on the identification of Ontario sportfish
4-Had no Idea what river he was ACTUALLY fishing on.
There are ABSOLUTELY no Trout in the Rideau River.
It is impossible for Lake Trout to migrate through the canal system from Big Rideau or any of the other Rideau lakes. The only time of year the water is cold enough is in winter. The locks are not operational at this time. That cancels out that theory. Before colonization and the building of the rideau canal system, the rideau river held speckled trout and landlocked Atlantic Salmon that would migrate to tributaries from the Ottawa River. Remember, this was 200 years ago. There were no dams, no lock systems. These rivers were capable of supporting Trout at that time, the rivers are very different today. The Rideau River is just unable so sustain Trout. I'm not sure where bozog got his info, but no Brown trout were ever stocked in the Rideau. Brown's were stocked in the upper Mississippi river(North Lanark Area) back in the 1930's but never the Rideau. As soon as the cronstuction of the Rideau canal began (175 years ago) the river became inhospitable for any trout species. So I'm not sure what your buddy caught, but it was no trout.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

From what I've heard, there were ~1000 rainbows released into the rideau river last year, and one was caught not too far from Manotick.
I wasn't there to witness the catch, but I don't think the people who told me are lying.
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rideau trout

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

The trout that were put in the rideau were put in the canal section near the NAC theatre. A large containment net was placed in the canal before it froze. Once the canal froze, 1000 or so rainbows were added through the ice. This was for a charity ice fishing event geared twords kids. The ministry of natural resources were involved in this venture to make sure every measure was made to contain the fish. The ministry would never authorize trout to be stocked in the Rideau as a sportfishing resource. I think you're friend told you a little story.
All the stocking lists are avialable on-line and you could always call the MNR and speak to fisheries biologist. They will tell you that trout would not survive in the Rideau and would therefore never be stocked.

Cheers,
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Of course it's possible that the folks who told me about this were mistaken.
I heard that the fish were put in sometime in August and that one was caught at the mill in Manotick.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Trout in the Rideau

Post by Gord »

Swamp-Donkey wrote: I'm not sure where bozog got his info, but no Brown trout were ever stocked in the Rideau. Brown's were stocked in the upper Mississippi river(North Lanark Area) back in the 1930's but never the Rideau.
This where I got my info........from the book "Fishes Of Canada's National Capital Region" by Don E. McAllister and Brian W. Coad.(1974)......From page s 50/51.....
The brown trout is native to Europe and western Asia but has been introduced extensively in North America. In this area specimens were released in the Rideau River near Hog's Back in the 1930's and in the Mississippi and Ottawa rivers, and other bodies of water(Dymond 1939)[end quote].....the stocking attempt most likely failed and I agree, there are no trout in the Rideau R. at the present time.

http://www.briancoad.com/NCR/Salmonidae.htm
Last edited by Gord on Thu May 31, 2007 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I must of gotten confused and got my info from the Kamasutra. Ironically enough, I learned nothing about fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

In that same report they also note that at one point they were stocking Lac Deschenes with Atlantic Salmon as well, albeit it was a failure.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

trout in the RR

Post by Jigs »

Maybe Browns could survive if they were stocked. Don't think they have been.

Most of us locals would be happy if the pike and bass and crappie were returned to their pre 1970's health and numbers.

Pike have not been doing well since most of the golden shiners were removed for bait over the last 20 or so years.

Crappie have been overfished.

Bass have been decimated by OOS bridge fishing, spring poachers fishing "pike", and of course the lovely bass contests which give so much back to the community.

Walleye have been poached to a standstill, then overfished. The fact that some people catch some every year says a lot about the species, and that given half a chance, they would come back big time. Unfortunately cleaning up spawning beds, better enforcement, slot limits, have not been forthcoming in the Rideau. (river)

Maybe a cross between a mudpout, carp, and brown trout........call it a Moutcrap........something that can live in the good ol Rideau could be introduced. Just as long as the MNR doesn't have to actually DO ANYTHING.

Jigs:
BRING HOME THE TROOPS.........SEND HARPER.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

You would be suprised what gets dropped in lakes from birds...The lake my cottage is on is a trout only lake and last year I saw a dead Catfish floating around by my dock...I have not caught or seen any since. My father has told me stories of certain trout lakes that had eels and ling in them that birds have dropped...so says his stories :roll:
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rideau Trout

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

Well bozog I might be eating CROW for dinner. I read that article you cited and it does state that browns were stocked in the rideau. The only thing I would question however, is that his references seemed to only be from newspaper reports from that era. If you check the MNR website though, they have the complete stocking history for every fish that has ever been transplanted into a waterbody in Ont. since 1894 and there is absolutely no history of browns being put into the Rideau river. I know the MNR hasn't really impressed us as of late, there was one thing that they did do well. That was keep very accurate and detailed records of fisheries management and stocking inventories. There is just no trace of trout being transplanted in the Rideau river. Irregardless, Your article raises some questions and my apology for being so hasty on correcting you.

Back to the original thread, THERE ARE NO @#$%'n Trout in the Rideau River. :D :lol:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Rideau Trout

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Swamp-Donkey wrote: If you check the MNR website though, they have the complete stocking history for every fish that has ever been transplanted into a waterbody in Ont. since 1894 and there is absolutely no history of browns being put into the Rideau river. I know the MNR hasn't really impressed us as of late, there was one thing that they did do well. That was keep very accurate and detailed records of fisheries management and stocking inventories.
Back to the original thread, THERE ARE NO @#$%'n Trout in the Rideau River. :D :lol:
Can you send me the link for the MNR stocking history??

Thanks!