kayak rigging......for some fishing.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi gright

for night fishing,i already had some clip on post wit stearn light for the front and back for my canoes so now i can clip them on the yak.(will post pict soon off that.)

for the batteries i use the same batterie i had in my portable fish finder...and got one more in the vexilar..not big and last a very long time.

i will post picture soon frome under the hood...batteries and tranducer etc. :wink: :lol: .

i can t wait join you guys this saturday...i am actualy gone to a fishing derby frome today to saturday night very LATE... :? :( .I WOULD HAD LOVE TO JOIN YOU GUYS.

but i will i will very soon.

for the rudder...not sher yet..i do no its better for some drift fishing and so on..but its not that bad at all right now.

wen did you saw the rudder at 200 its more like 250$ plus tax... :? :shock: :x ..for the kit. will see about that later.

for bilg pump........mmmm.i got a hand pump and a sponge...electric builg pump....mabe will see.could be a great ideal.

mabe a power trim to.... :roll: :lol: :lol: .

and cruise control :roll:

joco :)
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

joco, that is freaking awesome!

I love the dashboard and the camera, looks so james bond. 8)

Nice big storage area in the back too...man, sweet ride :D

scott
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

After seeing all this info about yaks and fishing, I have one question...

What happens if your yak flips? With all the equipment, rods stickout out, battery for electronics, and you! How hard is it to flip these guys back upright? Fine in shallow water you stand up, but what happens in the middle of a lake, you ht the wake from a boat, and flip in deep water?

Is this even much of a concern for you guys?
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

crunchy,

Yak fishing requires alot of leashes. If you don't want to lose it you leash it. With all these leashes you also carry a knife on your PFD to cut yourself out of any tangled mess you might find your self in should you flip.
Having said that the SOT type I use are very easy to re-enter in the water. In fact they started as scuba diving boats. The well behind my seat was designed to carry scuba tanks. So getting in and out of the water is easy. My kids had to demonstrate that they could re-enter the yaks from deep water before I let them take them out. I practice re-enter several times a year admittedly without the fishing gear.

Attention other yaker's the Pets Mart in Kanata is changing to a Super Pets so they are having an inventory sell off. Those thin dog leashes make great equipment leashes. Plus they don't cost any where near what "yak leashes" cost.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi crunchy

like gwright said.......you need a lot off leash.

and i got a leash for everything in that yak.

the dash board is attache the camera is attache to the board and so on.

but i did had this in mind...so that is why i got a sheap fish finder and camera ,just in case.we never no. i dont plan to flip.....but if it ever happen.....well....i will be good for a swim... :roll: :lol: .

even the rods are attache to the rod holders.

the paddle are attache..the box you see in the back as some floatation devise and a try to get stuff leash.its the way to go.

ITS a water sport..so we do can get wet so are stuff to..its a fact and we have to deal wit it...but its so mutch fun we dont realy care.. 8) about the stuff,but we do care about our safety.

joco.
Noodle
Participant
Participant

Post by Noodle »

These fishing yaks look so tempting. Even if I find room in the garage for one, it would not be fair to my canoe.

Actually, I have been looking for a decent portable one for kayak/canoe and didn't find one yet. Can someone please post their navigation light setup?

Don't want this to happen..
http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/Bullet ... 0/09_e.htm

I guess safety is safety.

I'll probably get desperate to catch my 1st walleye in a canoe. Night fishing sounds like I have a better chance. Even got my 1st speckle trout before I catch a walleye!

Maybe someone can also post their good/bad experience with night fishing in a canoe or kayak.

Thanks!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi noodle

I dont fish a lot in darknest in the yak...but wen i do..

here is what i use for the yak..

A clip on bow mount red/green light..

A clip on back light(white)

2 strobe light one in front ,one in back, plus a head lamp.

and if you look here on the dash iuse on the yak you will see i got 2 led lamp one on eatch side to see what i do at night on the dash.

and have some reflective tap on the flag post.

so i am pretty carefull..but still we never no.

better be more carefull then sorry.

I gues i should take picture wen its rig for night fishing. 8) .

but i do like to fish just before it get dark.wow..love to see those top water lure get snap... :twisted: .,,but i go back home ,usely its dark,,so need those night fishing tools. :wink:

joco
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Noodle wrote:These fishing yaks look so tempting. Even if I find room in the garage for one, it would not be fair to my canoe.

Actually, I have been looking for a decent portable one for kayak/canoe and didn't find one yet. Can someone please post their navigation light setup?

Don't want this to happen..
http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/Bullet ... 0/09_e.htm

I guess safety is safety.

I'll probably get desperate to catch my 1st walleye in a canoe. Night fishing sounds like I have a better chance. Even got my 1st speckle trout before I catch a walleye!

Maybe someone can also post their good/bad experience with night fishing in a canoe or kayak.

Thanks!
Hey Noodle:
I don't want to hijack Joco's thread here, but you can buy a flashlight with red/green glass and a clamp that screws onto the front of a canoe/yak. A plain white light at the back finishes it off.

Joco, yer stuff looks great. Good luck with the fishinmachine.

Jigs.

Woops: Joco already showed us the lights..............d'oh :oops:
Noodle
Participant
Participant

Post by Noodle »

Thanks Joco and Jigs for the tips. I'll start shopping around locally for those lights. :P
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi noddle..

actualy they have all the type off those light at the store.....

the chandelery in ottawa... :wink:

they have a cople off model...clip on or not.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

here's the link...

great store.. :wink:

http://www.thechandleryonline.com//dept ... t%5Fid=804

joco 8)
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

chandelery

Post by Jigs »

Thanks for posting that link Joco. They do have some neat stuff.

Since I sold the boat/motor/trailer, last year, I made some modifications to the Sportspal.

1. A big plastic box from CTC which contains everything I use when fishin, except the rods.

2. Two fold-down wooden brackets at the front to rest the tip of the rods so they don't slide off into the drink.

3. A custom swivel seat to accommodate me rather ample arse in a comfortable manner.

Everything gets chucked in the car to and from the water and stores neatly (not according to my wife) in the shop at home.

Not too fancy, but it suffices.

Good fishin:

Jigs.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

joco wrote:hi noodle

I dont fish a lot in darknest in the yak...but wen i do..

here is what i use for the yak..

A clip on bow mount red/green light..

joco
Did you glue your clip and light together or it was juts like that and made by manufacture? Where did you buy this thing if this is not home made? Thanks.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi seahawk..

they do come like this wit the clip and all....i got those for my canoe fishing but it will be good for the kayak..or anything a little boat etc.

here a link where you can them localy..

http://www.thechandleryonline.com//dept ... t%5Fid=804

i do like them because you dont need wire etc just put batterie in it and there you go.....

great safety items.

joco.