New Weekend Reel Poll for Bunk

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

NEW WEEKEND REEL POLL FOR BUNK

Poll ended at Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:35 am

Shimano
33%
ABU
29%
Quantum
38%

Total votes: 24

Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

New Weekend Reel Poll for Bunk

Post by Moosebunk »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Shimano kicked butt at 73%. I should be satisfied, but I'm not quite yet.
ABU and Quantum seemed to have alot of support as well so I decided on just one more poll.... the "Battle Royal." Whatz yer pick, come on! Give it here.

Shimano-- -- -------------ABU-------------------Quantum

Remember SPINNING REELS :!: :!: :!:
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Again, I'm a big fan of Quatum for their smoothness and balance. The trigger cast seems to let go early on the cheaper models though (who would want a trigger cast anyway).

That being said, I have an Abu Cardinal agenda that I bought as a combo on a Fenwick Aspen II rod and that thing runs great for the price.

Does any one have a problem with the bail closing during the cast? My Abu does that quite a bit and it can be quite a pain (not to mention that you look like an idiot going for that long cast only to have your lure spring right back at you). Let me know if their is any solutions to that.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

Quantum...for their cheapness

i own shimano and quantum
they both have problems...shimano generally is sturdier but when you get a GOOD quantum model

the value fer the buck is way better IMHO

on anohter note ..10/12 23.56 ball bearings sheeeeesh!
just build a good real that won't have the bail close to soon or to late..

df
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Happy with my Abu's and never tried a quantum..I also have shimano and daiwa.. not too many bad reels these days..I guess my next one should be a Quantum to see how it works. :)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I have to agree with Salmon. My two favorite reels are abu's, but I also use a shimano on my noodle rod and I've been playing with a new diawa (that my daughter loans me!) and they are all great reels. I keep them all cleaned and oiled and they've never failed me. I'm leaning towards price more than brand now. Quality seems to be easy to come by.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Funny thing is I have all 3.....and am happy with them all...so I can't vote for a fave....all are winners!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Quantum Kinetic has been a super reel. That being said my Blue runner 50 is still going strong after more than 5 years of landing some big muskies.

Had a Shimano spirex 4000. never liekd it probably not matched well with the rod and tackle I was trying to use with it.

As for the price versus quality argument, rapala has come ut with a new line that looks every bit as good but for less money than comparable quantums and shimanos.

"Not sponsered by any fishing related companies or stores" :(
Ed13
Participant
Participant

Post by Ed13 »

I have used Abu's the longest and have been pleased with them. Ambassadeur baitcasters are still great reels for the money. I am now also using Shimano's and Daiwa's reels. Other than a Sedona 500, I like these as well. One of my main concerns now is buying a reel that I will be able to get parts for in the upcoming years to fix broken and worn out parts. For this reason I no longer take "risks" on cheaper or brand new models. Abu (Ambassadeurs) and Shimano (Stradics and Chronarchs)have staple lines of products with good availability of parts and these are the models I will stick with.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I too have Shimano on my noodle rods and love 'em.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

:D :D :D

Thanks a bunch to all youz who participated in both polls and gave your time and input.

I chose to order the Shimano Symetery 4000. I laboured a long while over this reel, the Stradic and the Quantum Catalyst nearing the end.

Price did rule, although the Catalyst is a little cheaper. My buddy ordered with me and he chose the Quantum Energy PTi (a beautfil looking reel that I figure I'll get to give a good test run)

I also picked up a new Mitchell Avocet Silver Series reel to spool 4lb test. It was cheap and it'll come in handy for ice fishing and running on my 5ft light rod.

Thanks again.