Lower Beverley Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gmcinrue
Participant
Participant

Lower Beverley Lake

Post by gmcinrue »

Has any one fished this lake and if so what was your impression and experience?

gmcinrue
    Doug
    Silver Participant
    Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Yes but not recently and only one time.

I found it a kind of odd lake to fish. The water was a very murky greenish colour and had floating bits of ghastly looking muck in it. I decided early on that this would be a catch and release proposition and would not be in a hurry to eat fish from the lake. :shock:

I did catch one of my biggest largemouth ever there - no weigh scale, but north of five pounds and south of six kind of thing (and I do have pictures!!!) I actually thought it was a carp when it was coming in, because of its size and the odd water coloration.

My experience would have been about seven years ago, so all of this may well be radically different now.

Doug
    kenbo
    Participant
    Participant

I HAVE FISHED LOWER BEVERLY

Post by kenbo »

AND HAVE DONE VERY WELL ON LARGEMOUTH UP TO 5 POUNDS IN THE WEEDS ANYWHERE WITH SLUGGOS IN BLACK ON 1/0 RED HOOKS . SINCERELY, KENBO
    ganman
    Silver Participant
    Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Lower Beverley is a very good lake for LMB. It covers almost 2,000 acres. It has a variety of different water. If you like fishing slop there are hundreds of acres to fish. Dunkers will find lots of deep coontail. I like weedline fishing with jigs, cranks etc again there is plenty of water.

The lake is has two basins. The main lake runs north and south. It is where the deeper water is found. Here you'll find nice weedlines and coontail beds along with lots of weedy shallows. There are some nice rock shoals and points that have good SMB fshing.

The west arm of the lake is called Oak Bay. It is very shallow and weedy. Bass can be caught just about anywhere here Most anglers after LMB fish here.

The inlet of Lower Beverley is Morton Creek. It is a great spot for LMB. Before the Rideau system all the lakes from Newboro south (Newboro, Clear, Opinicon, Sand etc) drained into Morton Creek into Beverley and out its outlet, Lyndhurst Creek and on down to Singleton, Redhorse and Gananoque Lakes. Charleston enter fron another branch. Eventually all that water enters the St Lawrence at Gananoque. There is great bass fishing in the whole system.

The water quality is actually quite good. The lake eventually drains into a lake that supports lakers. The previous poster need not worry about eating the bass. They are free of black spot, worms and chemicals.

The floating goop likely was a result of several windy, rainy days or more likely water fluctuation. I have seen the same thing but other than a nuisance is no cause for alarm. All the lakes down here are dam controlled. Much of the shoreline is floating bog (great bass spot) which breaks up now and then.

There are two good boat ramps at Lyndhurst and Delta. Wings Bait Shop in Lyndhurst is a good place to get additional info.

Dougs experience with the big bass is not unique. You have as good a chance of catching a 5 lber as anywhere in Eastern Ontario. Despite appearances it is not in my experience a good lake for pike or crappie. It does have nice big perch though.
    susquehannasmallmouth
    Participant
    Participant

Lower Beverley

Post by susquehannasmallmouth »

We fished this lake last year and had great luck. In addition to the nice LMB, we caught many, many big SMB around the rocky islands to the right (N?) of the Morton Creek mouth. I will definitely return to this lake. I would also concur that we caught very few pike.
    ganman
    Silver Participant
    Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Good for you SS. The creek you caught the smallies near might have been Lyndhurst Creek which is an outlet or more likely Delta Mill Creek at the park which is also an inlet of the lake. The islands and shoals out from the mouth would be good smallie spots.

I'll post on Dog Lake. I've fished it opening weekend.
    susquehannasmallmouth
    Participant
    Participant

Low Bev

Post by susquehannasmallmouth »

You're right GM. It was the creek from Delta (which actually had a lot of fish in it - nothing big though). We stayed in a cabin at the campground. We actually caught more SM than LM, but did not spend much time up that long weedy section of the lake.