Long Weekend Bassin'

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Long Weekend Bassin'

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

Hi there everyone, just thought I'd share some of this weekends Bass fishing outings. The bright, mile high skies we experienced this past weekend sure made the bite for the big boys a little tough. I got consistant action every day out, but it just seemed that it was the smaller two pound class Bass that had the feed bag on.

My weekend started early afternoon on Friday, got off work a little early and was on the water by 2:00 pm. I pounded the shallows for 3 1/2 hrs.
I caught probably 15 Largies but this was the best one I could scrape up.

Oh well, tomorrow was another day. Drove back to the cottage to meet my buddy Geoff and get everything ready for the next day's outing.

Saturday morning came early. We were on the water for 5:00 am, and had been expecting flat, still waters. It was actually quite breezy and a little choppy. These conditions made it a little less favourable for chuckin' a frog. Geoff proved this theory correct by flippin' a craw up against a clump of rice and scored with the first "decent" fish of the day.

Again, all morning just a bunch of smaller average fish, until I finally connected with a better one.

As the sun got higher we adjusted our tactics, and switched to pitchin' any piece of overhead cover we could find. Same story. Couldn't seem to locate any big fish. I managed to finally nail this guy off a piece of floating bog. It fell for a black & blue, Wave Craw.

That was the best we could do, and besides by 12:00 pm we were both out of gas. So we decided to pack it in early and head back to the cottage. Tomorrow was another day.

Sunday morning was much calmer than the day before, but it seemed that the fish were even more stubborn. Didn't help that we slept in and didn't make it on the water untill 10:00 am. We did OK, I guess, we managed to catch about twenty bass between the two of us. Nothing of any great size though.

We stuck it out until about 3:30, but we knew when we'd been licked.
My buddy had to get home to the wife and kids anyways. Still one day of fishin' left.

Monday, I decided I would head out on the water around 6:00pm and fish untill dark. Surely, I would connect with some larger fish!
The evening started out pretty much the way the whole weekend had been. Smaller fish that you really had to work for. It was the last hour of the evening that finally produced some better fish.
The bite lasted right until dark and then just kinda stopped. good thing because the skeeters were wild.
I guess, all in all it was an Ok weekend. Now I can't wait to get back out this weekend. Come'on FRIDAY!!!
As always, all fish were safely released in order that they be caught again. Hopefully when they've acheived "TOAD" status. :D

Cheers,
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

nice pics SD, enjoyed the report.

Sundays are for sleeping in, almost always. :wink:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

nice job lads!! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
kunobasski
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Long Weekend bassin

Post by kunobasski »

Good job, those are some great lookin LM !
tkuno
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Nice job guys.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Great report, damn now all I can think about is getting out in the slop. :shock:
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

sweet...nice weekend of bassin'
Swamp-Donkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Long Weekend Bassin'

Post by Swamp-Donkey »

Thanks for the response evryone,

Stay tuned for part 2 :wink: