Bassin with Bobber on the Rideau

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bassin with Bobber on the Rideau

Post by Fishhawk »

Bobber and I have struggled since the opening of bass season to get out fishing in the same boat at the same time. I picked Bobber up on Sunday morning at 08:30 and for the first time in a couple of years (for me anyway) we went bassing on the Rideau River. It was cool and grey with a light breeze and I was not holding out a lot of hope for a great outing - but any outing is still good.

It started off slow. Bobber and I were both pitching jigs under cover of various kinds - trees and docks - and into pockets in the weeds. I've been fishing a jig more than ever this year and have had reasonable results. One unexpected outcome of retrieving a jig over and over again is something I have to call jig-elbow. The repetitive stress of snapping a jig through weeds, lilies, grass and sticks has taken its toll and after about half an hour on Sunday, my elbow was toast. I switched to a 6 inch pumpkinseed senko-type bait and after a few bounces underneath branches, I hooked up with a nice smallie - the biggest bass I've caught in about a month. I guess it was about 3 lbs...

I caught a couple of smaller bass while Bobber carried on with the jig. Finally I heard the "zing" that Bobber's line makes when he sets the hook. And look at that - Bobber is on the board with a nice largemouth in the 3.5 range...

After Bobber caught his bass, I was prepared to overlook the excruciating pain of a full-blown case of jig-elbow and start throwing my own jig but nahhhhh, the senko is much easier to retrieve for a few more casts and POW, my first smallmouth was no fluke... I was into a decent largemouth of my own this time.

At one point, Bobber saw a lone mat of slop surrounded by water full of weeds covered in slime - not the kind of water we typically like but seeing as how we had just drove the boat for five minutes to get to this particular spot, Bobber was going to have a cast. What the heck is going to get through that thick mat of slop? Bobber used what looked to be a 1 oz bullet sinker to punch through the slop and drag a 6 inch crawdad through the hole and down to the bottom. He does this by lobbing the bait and sinker high in the air so that gravity provides the kind of impact required to crash through the slop. On the 3rd lob Bobber finally found the largemouth that was underneath the mat - this one was 3.8 lbs.

I kept with the senko, rigged weedless, and working it real slow, forcing myself to be patient. Only one of my bass on this day slammed the bait soon after splashdown, the rest took it well after the bait had sunk to the bottom and sat there for up to ten seconds. When I can stay patient, senkos work great. When I don't have patience they really suck. I forced myself to wait on every cast and was rewarded again...

On my last cast of the day, I threw the senko at a few sticks that Bobber had just snapped his jig from. Casting to a spot that did not work for Bobber is not usually productive for me, but I had to flick the bait at those sticks. Bobber felt snubbed. The bass had clearly turned its nose up at Bobber's jig and the next thing I had my own 3.8 lbs of largemouth...

What a great Sunday! Too bad we had never had a tournament Saturday like that on the Rideau.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Nice Bass guys....way to go!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice fishin fellas!

That stretch of the Rideau can be awesome....and usually not too bad for boat traffic....

Nice to see ya's back....get to work on the site...or a few are going to want refunds... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJ
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Beautiful bunch of bass, guys. Impressive sizes and good action: can't ask for more than that!

(I'm going to remember your tip on being extra patient, FH. I'm not well acquainted with that term, myself, but will work on it with the soft plastics.)

W.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

wolfe wrote:Beautiful bunch of bass, guys. Impressive sizes and good action: can't ask for more than that!

(I'm going to remember your tip on being extra patient, FH. I'm not well acquainted with that term, myself, but will work on it with the soft plastics.)

W.
Patience is good Wolfe. I find it helps with jigs and tubes and just about any piece of plastic. I think of what it has to be like underneath the water. Many times you drop a bait on top of a bass's head and he pounds it instantly. But what if you drop the bait 10 or 15 feet away from it? I am positive that in the water I fish, bass can see that far, so what does it take to lure them over for a bite? I'll bet sometimes all it takes is a couple of extra seconds for them to swim over, check it out, open wide and inhale. For each of my fish except the last, the only way I knew I had a fish was by waiting for an almost imperceptible "tick" in the slackness of my line. I didn't see any fish, flashes or boils prior to the bite so that sort of tells me that they took the bait real nonchalant-like.

That was a real fun afternoon. Now if I can only figure out when it is best to not be patient and to cast and cast and cast.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Good fishin guys!!! On the third pic is that a Fish-Hawk over fish-hawks's head.(his pet maybe)
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Sweet fish boys. I will be out this Saturday morning. Maybe I will catch some fish for a change :lol:

Mike
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Fine looking bass guys. Always great when a system works for you.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice fish lads!!......see any 'lunge? :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Great bunch of bass..you dont forget those days on the water.
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

bowzog wrote:Nice fish lads!!......see any 'lunge? :)
Them old guys don't look for fish with teeth :lol: :lol:

Nice fish guys :D
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Nice fish guys :wink: That smallie is pretty massive! WTG on another great outing
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice guys :D .