Ice fishing in the B.O.Q.???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Ice fishing in the B.O.Q.???

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Hey Guys...

I know the fall fishing on the BOQ is really good, but I have not heard or seen a lot of reports on ice fishing. I remember talking to someone a while back and they had said that the ice fishing for walleye used to be good but has declined in numbers and size over the past few years...he said that there are still 10+lbs fish caught over the winter but far and few between...

Does anyone have any comments or real experiences for hard water fishing in the Bay??....I'm trying to plan a 3 day ice fishing trip somewhere and one of the lads in my group suggested B.O.Q.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi T.M.H

i did read some great report for walleye fishing on ice over there.

your best bet its in here on the boq forums.. :wink:

http://forums.quintefishing.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?p=19165

joco
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bay of Quinte

Post by Seaweed »

Overall the main reason fewer and fewer ice fishing reports from the Bay of Quinte is because of one main reason.... no ice. Or better put poor ice conditions.

Nothing takes the fun out of ice fishing like poor ice.

Basically we have been getting warmer winters and there hasn't been enough sustained cold weather down by the big lakes to allow for a good freeze up. We will see if this year is any different. Last year I made it down for one day but it was way too cold to enjoy so ... I didn't stay long enough to find out how the bite was. The ice was good and solid but this was the last weekend of the open season and it took that long for ice to form last year... good solid ice that is.

As Joco said check the Quinte Fishing board for updates if you are planning a trip down there.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Thanks guys...
patience
Participant
Participant

Post by patience »

I got a 14.5 lb'er above the fireplace caught on new years day a few years back.
Only been back once since then. All depends on how the ice goes.

In all my experience , the best fishing is out of a personal hut as opposed to hut rentals.
point anne is good and used to fish off a wharf in belleville( can't remember the name of the street to get there though)which was a good area.
also depends on if your lucky enough to have a school pass through

good luck
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

hey...it is still October...Ice won't be good till January of BOQ (again) :)
muskysean
Participant
Participant

Post by muskysean »

I grew up on the bay and have caught my fair share of 10lb+ Walleye out there. I have always found the earlier you can get out there, the better the fishing. Having said that, winters have got a lot warmer in recent years and ice is always a concern. We used to be able to catch over a hundred fish through the ice BEFORE Christmas! Now your lucky to have any ice by January. In my opinion, if you have never fished the bay before, fish where everyone else is. You may be able to catch a few more fish if you wander away from the crowds but even in good ice years the bay can be very dangerous. I have seen spots where you can be standing on a foot of ice and 10 feet away there is barely a skim. Like I said, if there is a crowd... it's safe to say there is enough ice. NO FISH is worth taking a winter swim for. Oh and yes the fishery has declined in the past 10 years but don't be fooled. The BAY is still a world class fishery and one of the best spots if not THE BEST spot in the world for a real shot at a Monster Walleye!
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I have a cottage booked for the last weekend of January....hopefully we'll have some safe ice this year!!! :D :D

Thanks for all the replies!!