Calabogie trout lakes

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Flounder,
You mentioned Little Salmon Lake in your post, is the name right?
According to the List of Geo. Names of Canada there is only one
Little Salmon Lake in Ontario, but it is in Frontenac Provincial Park.
Also I don't know any Salmon Lake in Calabogie or Centennial
Lake area. I know Salmond Twin Lakes, but it is far-far away.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

mosquito wrote:
Gling (specs) are all within one mile south of the dam

Some friends were fishing lakes around Gling, and including Gling up until last spring. During a wedding I attended in August in Perth I was speaking to a lawyer (and fanatical fly fisher and friend) which settles wills. Property around Gling was recently sold and it is my belief that the new owner of the land in that area plans to develop some sort of resort for trout fishing. If this is true, be sure to have the owners permission before trespassing across his land.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news.
SIG-P2101
Participant
Participant

Post by SIG-P2101 »

Does anyone know is ice off the lakes by now?
Planed to go fishing this wekeend.

Thanks
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Calabogie Lakes

Post by Buzzer »

Hi SIG-P2101:

I haven't been up there but I speculate that there is still lots of ice on the lakes. The lakes up there tend to be the last in the area to melt... (nice and cold and holding trout?).

I will be heading up between the 23 - 26 this month, next week(end), and am hoping that the ice will be gone. I'll keep you posted.

On a side note I thought that I'd be out this weekend for sure but the weather this spring hasn't been co-operating.

Buzzer
Flounder
Participant
Participant

Post by Flounder »

mosquito,

I did have one of the names wrong. The one I refered to as Little Salmon lake, is actually named Craig Lake. As far as the other Lakes I mentioned, this is what people are telling me there named. Tell ya what I will try to locate the Map that has these lakes on it and report back to ya.
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

I was up at Calagobie yesterday. All of the lakes that I visited off of Black Donald rd (Shiner, Holmes, etc) still had too much ice on them. Wabun however was icefree and made for a very nice day out on the lake. Road was nasty and no fish though :P

I suspect the rest will be ice free in a day or two.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Calabogie Lakes

Post by Buzzer »

Hi Mossman:

Think I'm going to have to take a day off work this week to get out to some of the Calabogie lakes :D

The road to Wabun.... could I make it in a car (sunfire)? I've done it before in June but since you describe the road as bad I was wondering if I'll make it?

Thanks a million for the "ice-off" update :!:

Anyone going up this upcoming weekend? If so let me know and maybe we can pick a lake and have a few "pops". I definately want to fish Scully as I saw quite a few big specs after the season close last year... maybe won't catch much but if I do... :wink:

I'm willing to meet up at any lake that my CAR can get too. No 4x4 :cry:

Buzzer
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I was out today and fished both green and little green lake. Both were ice free however I didn’t catch anything.

Post by Guest »

Sounds like the ice is gone, i will be making the trip on Friday. Thanks for the tips everyone
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Buzzer:

The road isn't flooded at all, but it's thick and muddy in parts with some really bad holes. I made it to the lake in my little civic hatch back with a few bottom scrapes.. but coming back my car got stuck on a mud patch going up one of the hills. Took about 20 minutes to get out.

The road cost me $600 in repairs a few years ago when it nearly ripped my exhaust system off the car. After this last venture I've made my peace.. no more Wabun trips without a 4x4 :(
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Calabogie Lakes / Camping

Post by scttsmpsn »

Folks, I know that some of the lakes are now open. Along the 508 route are there any that would have a small spot to park a jeep and a truck for the night; car-camping. We may decide to stay over Friday night and fish a few lakes. Any with a fire-pit as well. Fishing from shore as well.

Limestone? Shiner?

Thanks guys,

Scott
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

Was up to a small trout lake north of Calabogie this past weekend. It is still completely covered in ice. Fished for a bit Friday and Saturday. Not very sucessful . But I can say that is the latest I have ever been ice fishing. I would think the ice should be gone by this weekend.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

camping at shiner

Post by Buzzer »

I've seen many people camping at Shiner. You can park and camp and have a fire. I've never done it but I heard, rumour, that you're supposed to pick up a permit.

Buzzer
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

The lakes are all clear of ice

Post by Buzzer »

Spent the day yesterday out shore fishing for trout.

Shiner, Scully, and Barry Lakes in the Calabogie area. And Twooey and the "rainbow" Twin, (not sure if it's the Upper Twin or Lower Twin), near Dacre.

The specs weren't biting yet although I did have a few follows. The only thing i caught was a small rainbow, (released), at Shiner. The rainbows are biting :)

Very nice to get out after a slow spring thaw! :D

Buzzer
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

have truck will travel

Going up this weekend, will let you all know how it'tis

Dave