Odd Duck sightings

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Will the Sens need 6 or7 games to off the Leafs ?

29%
71%

Total votes: 14

fish_head
Participant
Participant

Odd Duck sightings

Post by fish_head »

I noticed a group of 4 Harlequin Ducks on the Rideau by the RA center last night. A buddy of mine said he spotted 6 out by Petrie Island. Harlequin Ducks are native to Northern Quebec and Eastern Seaboard(not sure if I spelled that right). They are not supposed to be here...not that they're bad or anything...These Harlequins are obviously not native to the area, they were fleeing us, the other ducks actually got closer. The problem is though, these Harlequins feed on the small bait fish (minnows, baby fish...) we love to use as well. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this ?
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Sens in 7.

Harlequin Cormorants?!

M.T. Livewell
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I've never seen a Harlequin duck in the area. But like you mentionned they are not native to this region. They are probably just stopping by on their way migrating back home. Just don't tell the tree-huggers (not intended to offend anyone) but there have been places where they banned rafting, boating and probably fishing because some Harlequin ducks used the river as well.
I'll have to head down there with the zoom lens, and try and get a picture.[/b]
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Actually, by the looks of them and the research I've done at work (yeah, it's real busy at the Auto Trader today)it seems they are Harlequin Drakes. I'm heading back tonight after work to see if I can spot them again. Try and coax them closer. They are however, absolutely beautifull Ducks.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Harlequin ducks are among the most beautiful, in my opinion, along with wood ducks. Lucky you to see them, and drakes at that. This is the time of year you might spot the oddball species that doesn't necessarily stay in your region -- migrants, so to speak.

W.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Harlequins

Post by Cancatchbass »

That's a great sighting. I've never been fortunate enough to come across any. :cry:

On the St. Lawrence they are sighted fewer than once every five years...

They are spotted as transients in southwest Quebec, mainly in the Lachine Rapids, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue area and there are even records of Harlequins wintering in Ottawa, Thunder Bay, and the Niagara River- but this is rare.

If I lived closer, I'd be out with you, scope and camera at the ready... :D

CCB
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

If any of you guys can get a digital pic to share with us, that would be great. I know CCB is a fellow birder; and I, too, have never gotten lucky enough to see a Harlequin "in person"! Meanwhile, enjoy the view!

W. :wink:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

So that's what one looks like.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Duck sightings

Post by Seaweed »

I was at Petrie last night just prepping the old boat for sale.

I noticed some ducks with large white patches on the heads but just thought that they were loons. Will have to take a closer look tonight and maybe try to capture some photos.... these are beautiful birds.

Water is open at Petrie but the launch wasn`t. Levels are not as high as last year but I welcome the high water so that as I get used to the new boat I won`t risk bumping anything. Watch for the floating debris though..... "Yellow Flag" is the order of the day on the Ottawa in the spring because a lot of stuff moves with the ice and high water.
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Actually, my fiancee and I were noticing that there is quite a bit of wildlife in our area (Riverside, Alta Vista to Bank St.). Last night alone we saw the Harlequins, 2 beavers, a Blue Heron, Canada Geese (that ate out of my hand)Racoons and believe it or not, I saw a couple Hawks the other evening outside my building, perched on a power line.....
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I actually saw a quite impressive hawk on a signpost on my way down to Ed's last thursday. Last year i remember fishing on the st.lawrence and out on one of the islands was a nest up a 60ft dead tree that was at least 1.5 meters wide with a very loud hawk of some description calling.. probably didn't like me being withing 100 meters of it :lol: ughhh..
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Te beautifull thing is, I have a great view for bird watching as my balcony faces Riverside Dr. and the Rideau, as well as the parks that run alonside the Rideau. I get awesome views as far as wildlife goes. One thing's for sure though, those Harlequins are not very people friendly, at the mere sight of a human, they take off and stay as far away from us as they can...may be hard for a photo op.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

John

Post by Cancatchbass »

John- I think it's very likely your hawk on the St. Lawrence was none other than:

the mighty Fish-Hawk!

Commonly called an osprey. :lol:

CCB
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I think so ccb.. i just did a quick search and the nest looked exactly like the one pictured below...

fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

For really impressive bird watching...ducks, hawks, you name it (not to mention awesome Pike fishing) check out Calabogie's Eagle Rock or Point...can't remember which of the two it's called. Either way, last summer, around July, I was hiking up the hills and came across, well under, a huge nest, must have been 2 to 3 feet wide, maybe even the same epth, don't know, but at the same time, noticed a gorgeous Eagle land in the nest, wingspan of about 1 meter each way, this bird was huge...