Odd Duck sightings

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Will the Sens need 6 or7 games to off the Leafs ?

29%
71%

Total votes: 14

BENLEGER
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BENLEGER »

Are you sure its not a Bufflehead you saw because they are quite common around here...Here is a Pic of a male Bufflehead

BEN
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Naw....this was definately a Harlequin Drake. I've been all over the web this morning looking for pics to verify my sightings....I'm not sure how to post a picture on here, but I do have one of an exact twin of the ducks I saw last night.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Fish-Head:

From a distance, scaups, hooded mergansers and goldeneyes can be tricky, as you see that black/white contrast and not much else. But if you saw them up close, as you mentioned, then it's pretty hard to confuse a male Harlequin with much else because of the distinctive patterning and chestnut with blue-gray coloring (not really black.) You sound pretty certain, so I imagine that's what you've got there. Wish I could see, too. Sounds like you've got a nice spot to observe different birds and fowl.

With regard to Osprey, John, they're awesome. Saw one lift a fairly large bass out of a back bay on Gananoque Lake last year. He was struggling to just leave the water with it, but managed to heft it up and probably had himself (herself) a nice meal. There's always a few on Wolfe Lk, and I enjoy seeing them soaring above while I fish, knowing they're doing the same.

W.
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Well gang, I've finally come to a conclusion as to what species of Duck I spotted. They are indeed Wood Ducks, but even at that, they are not common in this region, more in the east and southern regions of Ontario. They are still fairly rare in Ottawa...ora t least, so I've been by my buddies over at Ducks Unlimited. If someonce can tell me how to post pics, I'll post some of the GREAT pics I got of these ducks.

Cheers,
fish_head
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Not sure how common they are around the year, however Wood Ducks are quite common in Ottawa during the fall. While hunting in Shirley’s bay or east of the city you get mostly Woods during the first couple weeks of the season. Actually there is an organization in Kanata who have built a few hundred tree houses and maintain them and I understand they are well used.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Fish_Head,

If you go to the Fish-Hawk.Net Forum Index page, then open the Rules and Tips topic, you'll find instructions for posting pic's.

I'd like to see some of those digital shots of the wood duck(s) you managed to get. Hope you can manage to get your pic's posted.

Either way, glad you figured out what it was you were seeing. It's a fun challenge to I.D. a species you're seeing for the 1st time.

W.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

ducks

Post by Jigs »

:)

We usually get a healthy contingent of Hooded Merganzers and Buffleheads passing through in the spring, just as soon as the ice is off the river (Rideau).

Both species are quite beautiful and entertaining to watch their diving antics.

Last year we spotted a male Green Wing Teal early in the spring; and that is fairly unusual for this area. Quite a beautiful bird.

Would have liked to have seen the Harliquin.

Regards: Jigs.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

As far as ducks that I actually see around the Ottawa area, Mallards are the most prevalent and Wood ducks are second...all I know is they both taste great... :shock: ooops did I say that out loud.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

banjo wrote:As far as ducks that I actually see around the Ottawa area, Mallards are the most prevalent and Wood ducks are second...all I know is they both taste great... :shock: ooops did I say that out loud.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yep you did ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHEHEHEHEHEHEEHEHEHEHEHEHHOHOHOHOHO cough cough hic gag! :( :oops: :wink:
Life goes on
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Here's the Ducks I saw

Post by fish_head »

[img]file:///C:/backgrounds/Animals/Wood_duck.jpg[/img]

Hope this worked
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Guess not
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Are you trying to post that from you C drive? It has to be posted on the net somewhere first. then copy the URL address between the Img icons.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

You can go here, http://www.fish-hawk.net/cgi-bin/album.pl and click on upload... and put the picture in the gallery.
Then I think you can link it to the message board
fish_head
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_head »

Since I can't place my picture on here, this is pretty much, minus the abundance of green on his head....the ones I saw actually had much darker heads. It's too bad, my pictures are ALOT nicer.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Noce Woodie....and yes Banjo, they taste great too.