Night fishing problems

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Night fishing problems

Post by topraider »

In response to this:

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/285643

Westport has done this:

http://newsfeed.recorder.ca/cgi-bin/Liv ... $rec=24746

I thought this might happen. I know some areas have dealt with the problem in the past by banning fishing from public piers, bridges, etc. at any time.
chill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chill »

I have never fished that area in my life but as an angler this concerns me. From what I understand the town does not have the authority to restrict or govern fishing. It is only controlled by the Federal or Provincial government.
The by law is unenforceable. As long as you have a fishing license, you are not violating the law by fishing where it is not prohibited by provincial or federal law.
Politicians don't have a clue about resource management, this is all about getting votes. Sad really.

L.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

good news....!! At least now OPP can respond and lay charges...
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Lefty: They do control the roadways etc in there municipality so they could set a by-law about not being on the road but they would have to charge anyone who is on there between those times.
Just like here in Carleton Place you can not park over night in the winter or you get a ticket...But this will be hard to enforce I think.
jiggingspoon
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggingspoon »

from my understanding a group of asian fisherman were attacked by locals as an attempt to protect their local fishery. Police were called in later and investigation against racism followed.

In response to the incident and investigation, the township passed by-law to ban people from night fishing in their municipality

To me this is wrong. Being close to water doesn't give locals power to ban people from fishing the water. Attacking non-locals for fishing is not only wrong but a serious crime.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Hi jiggingspoon, welcome to fish-hawk
you may not have heard the full story,or maybe you heard the CBC's biased half version of the story. From what I gather these people were not attacked for fishing but for POACHING ie. fishing in a well marked fish sanctuary where there is no fishing allowed, keeping all that they catch, ignoring requests to stop their poaching etc. Also there are reports that some had fish sanctuary maps with them and that there may be a commercial element here, which is VERY serious. Did you not hear that part?
TLunge
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I've seen it before where a municipality enacts No Fishing regulations for various locations in order to control nuisance fisherman. In this particular case if you read the articles, the night time fishing ban is due to the fact that any poaching complaints to the MNR would not be responded to due to resource restrictions. By putting in the municipal by-law, the OPP can now be called in to enforce a trespassing complaint. If the violators happen to be poaching, etc the Fisheries Act gives the OPP subsequently have the authority to enforce the regulations.

Honestly I don't see the OPP going out of their way to enforce the by-law. Unless a local is poaching I don't foresee locals calling in trespassing complaints on each other. People will call in complaints when non-locals are engaging in illicit fishing activities.
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

I feel that this has been blown out of proportion when termed a 'racist' issue. I don't beleive that it is. I see a clash of cultures, one ignorant or indifferent of the other.

One culture comes from a country of over a billion people. In Hong Kong Harbour, anglers line up shoulder-to-shoulder to catch, in many instances what we would consider baitfish to bring home to feed their families. The population there has caused significant harm to their fisheries. Not a whole lot of Canadians moving to China, as it were. And I'm thinking that they don't have a recreational fishing industry, per se.

Now we have a culture without conscience or concern for conservation: They are a culture largely made up of food fishers, meshing with a culture where conservation is an important, long-standing issue. Canada's fisheries managers have been encouaging catch-and-release for decades. Canada's recreational fishing industry accounts for upwards of $2.5-billion annually injected into our economy.

That Star article was pretty one-sided. :cry: :cry: Who is speaking on the defense of our fisheries? I've spent my whole life adhering to regulations and buying myself a fishing license, as did my father and grandfather before him. Now we're going to allow new arrivals to decimate the stocks and disregard the protections already in place?

Get yourselves a video or still camera. Take pictures of overfull fish buckets, people's faces and license plates then call crime stoppers, or the MNR. Demand that they inform you of the progress in the cases you submit. Make it known that we won't tolerate indiscriminate exploitation of our recreational fisheries by getting in the face of poachers and reporting them. That in and of itself should deter some.
Its not about race. It's about respect. As a citizen, I demand that our fisheries be protected from rampant exploitation. Too bad the only real action has come from a few thugs whose actions reflect as badly on our fishing culture, as the poachers' do on theirs.

2 cents
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

MattSymons wrote:

Now we're going to allow new arrivals to decimate the stocks and disregard the protections already in place?

Its not about race.
I've cut out most of what you wrote Matt....but this is a tad hypocritical I think... :?
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

RJ,

Maybe my wording could have been better. I was raised and schooled in Scarborough. Perhaps the most culturally diverse group of communties in Canada. I have friends of all different complexions. I support Chinese-owned tackle shops in my community. I'm not a racist, and I'm not intolerant. What I am proudly is a conservationist.

My point: We've been reading in major newspapers about incidents of 'racism' that are really just the results of an issue of conservation. Politicians without a clue to the issue have jumped on the racism bandwagon and have been flapping their uninformed gums about it. Now law-abiding anglers in some communities have had regulations imposed on them limiting their freedoms as a result. :cry: :cry:
I totally don't condone violence of any sort. But what's being reported and what the real issue is are two very different things.

Some misguided individuals have taken it upon themselves to enforce VALID AND IMPORTANT conservation laws with a vigilante style. Which is wrong, obviously. Consider though: Do you think a poacher is going to respond ammicably to being confronted about their THEFT of resources?? Might they also be prone to engaging in violence, perhaps to facilitate their escape? These are unfortunate incidents: Not the underlying, root issue.

The root of the problem is lack of enforcement by the agencies who should be undertaking it legally. Eleven CO's to patrol 250,000 lakes? Any wonder that there's poaching when there's insufficienct enforcement? Any wonder that there's a backlash and violence errupts as a result? Saw this one coming a mile away.

And I really feel that it is recent immigrants to the country who don't understand the regulations. I can only comment on my own experiences.

This scene went down no fewer than 20 times this past summer: I land a fish in the presence of other shore anglers, someone approaches me as I'm releasing it and ASKS ME FOR MY FISH, (often in broken english, or even with insistent hand signals as their means of communication). Usually, I can't even explain the importance of catch-and-release and conservation because of the language barrier, although I do try. But I can tell by the look in their eyes as it swims away that they think I'm crazy.

Enforcement and education solve the problem of two cultures clashing. Its not a race issue...like I said...its an issue of conservation and enforcement.

Deputize me as a CO and I'd do it for free. Now I have to write a letter to the editor of the Star about that article...
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

MattSymons wrote:RJ,

The root of the problem is lack of enforcement by the agencies who should be undertaking it legally. Eleven CO's to patrol 250,000 lakes? Any wonder that there's poaching when there's insufficient enforcement?
This is the real issue and those that are looking for an easy $ know this all to well and are taking advantage.

MattSymons wrote: And I really feel that it is recent immigrants to the country who don't understand the regulations. I can only comment on my own experiences.
Recent immigrants may not know or understand the regs but it is those people that do know them that are taking advantage of these people (at least with regards to the "Fish Gangs" for lack of a better term).

There was an incident a few years ago near Leo Lake that barely made the last page of the local papers.
A group of people were caught catching large qties of out of season fish and exceeding limits of any in season fish they had. These people had no idea that they were breaking any laws (at least that is their story). They were being paid by the pound for their catches. (Not much different then from were they immigrated from). The fish was then being sold on T.O.
The people paying these fisherman were as WASP as they come, they knew that the chances of getting caught were extremely thin and those doing the catching had no knowledge of the laws . The result were a few slaps on the wrists.

Again the lack of enforcement and public education due to the repeated crippling of the Ministry is the major problem.
In general most people are law abiding and once they are informed of the rules they will follow them.
If someone is of the type that will break the rules and they know there is enforcement out there (with insufficient punishment), they will likely follow the rules.

The only reason they got caught was some farmers had reported hearing a lot of shot gun blasts 2 days before the opening of duck hunting so it was being investigated. They stumble on the poachers by accident. Incidentally the shotgun blasts were from a group of teens shooting skeet in an old pit.