MNR/Otter Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

MNR/Otter Lake

Post by bobfly »

Talked to Conservation Officer, Bert Van Wont, at the Carp Fishing Show on Sunday. Indeed they have stocked Otter Lake with Rainbow. Last year 10,500 and some if not all 10-12". He said that even though the water quality is poor, they are keen to make it a trout lake although if no-one reports catching any bows, they will stop so he asked me to report directly to him if I catch any. I'm passing his phone number off to all of you here: 258-8443. So guys and gals, lets go out and catch some and give him a call. We have a duty here!! They feel rainbows of all the trout can take a little polution so I don't want to hear any griping about their choice. I'm going to pass this along to the Ottawa Flyfishing club that I joined 2 years ago but have never gone to a meeting (and pass on this website too).

For those of you who missed earlier posts, the Otter Lake we are talking about is just south of Smith Falls on Hwy 15 and the launch site is just before the trailer park which is located almost as soon as you sight the lake going south. On Friday it was stilled iced over except for water close to shore.

Nice to meet Fishawk and Bobber at their booth. Don't know what I will do with a bait rod if I win it.

Bobfly 8)
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: MNR/Otter Lake

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

bobfly wrote:Talked to Conservation Officer, Bert Van Wont, at the Carp Fishing Show on Sunday. Indeed they have stocked Otter Lake with Rainbow. Last year 10,500 and some if not all 10-12". He said that even though the water quality is poor, they are keen to make it a trout lake although if no-one reports catching any bows, they will stop so he asked me to report directly to him if I catch any. I'm passing his phone number off to all of you here: 258-8443. So guys and gals, lets go out and catch some and give him a call. We have a duty here!! They feel rainbows of all the trout can take a little polution so I don't want to hear any griping about their choice. I'm going to pass this along to the Ottawa Flyfishing club that I joined 2 years ago but have never gone to a meeting (and pass on this website too).

For those of you who missed earlier posts, the Otter Lake we are talking about is just south of Smith Falls on Hwy 15 and the launch site is just before the trailer park which is located almost as soon as you sight the lake going south. On Friday it was stilled iced over except for water close to shore.

Nice to meet Fishawk and Bobber at their booth. Don't know what I will do with a bait rod if I win it.

Bobfly 8)
When does Otter open for Bows?
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Otter Lake season for bows

Post by jsdx »

Otter lake is in division 10. It is open for rainbows from Jan 1 - Sept 30.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Otter Lake season for bows

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

jsdx wrote:Otter lake is in division 10. It is open for rainbows from Jan 1 - Sept 30.

I guess the other question should have been....when's the ice off :?: :lol:
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Oops, mistake. Otter Lake is south of Perth, not Smith Falls. That's what you get for working late and goofing off posting on a fish line!

bobfly :roll:
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Guess I can't take the pressure of a deadline, hockey game (Vancouver still in! - my hometown) and posting. Otter Lake is south of Smith Falls. Ignore me when I post late at night.

bobfly :shock:
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Otter:

Post by Jigs »

WIG:

Ice is off as we speak, or as I speak, or type.

Regards: Jigs :) That is...........April 20.04
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Otter:

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Jigs wrote:WIG:Ice is off as we speak, or as I speak, or type. Regards: Jigs :) That is...........April 20.04
Thanks Jigs, guess I'll have to make the trek for some Bows!!! Hopefully early next week :!:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey Bobfly, Have you made it out to Otter yet?
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

i'm hitting it, in the morning.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Xenos wrote:i'm hitting it, in the morning.
Man, I can't get out until next week at the earliest :!: Let us know how it goes Xenos :!:
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I tried it, for a few hours anyway. No luck, however that doesn’t mean anything since it was my first time fishing bows. I was running small gang trolls, 150 ft back and 100 ft to the side ( plainer boards) and no knock offs.

The good news was, I was able to try out my Christmas gift, and it preformed wonderfully. While passing over a 70’ hole I dropped the Aqua VU down and saw a smallie as well as several perch. 36 degrees down there and it’s was full of perch. I would have figured they would have been up top in the 40 degree water. Oh well it was awesome to see it in operation. I can’t wait for walleye fishing.