This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Ricc
Participant
Participant

I KNOW THE FEELING

Post by Ricc »

I've fished off and on all my life, mostly river fishing for trout, I use to camp out at the Pretty River in Collingwood area until they made it a sanctuary. At this time we started to fish off the breakwater in Meaford and always said to each other, I wish we had a boat. So, this year I go out and buy a boat, not in your catagory, but a nice Legend 144 Excite with live well and casting platform and put a 25 4 stroke Merc on it and all of sudden nobody wants to go, so, on this beautiful weekend the boat sits in the garage, I also do not want to go alone. Put it in the water last weekend at Thornberry, watched one guy and couldn't believe how easy it was. I'm off to the races now, the only embarrassment I expect from this point on is backing it up and will definately remember the bottom of the steering wheel trick. Launched it and took it out by using the mouring lines to pull it off the trailer and pull it back on from the side dock. I'd like to put in Lake Ontrio at Port Credit but I just don't think a 14 footer belongs out there unless the weather is guaranteed.
By the way, this is my first post to this site, when I read your message I just had to sign up and reply.
I thought my buddies would be lined up begging to go out, instead it's me begging them. Oh well, I have a lot of yard work to do and I better do the vaccum thing before the wife takes the boat away from me, just kidding of course.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: I KNOW THE FEELING

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Ricc wrote:I thought my buddies would be lined up begging to go out, instead it's me begging them. Oh well, I have a lot of yard work to do and I better do the vaccum thing before the wife takes the boat away from me, just kidding of course.
Hey Ricc, welcome aboard. nice thing about this board is, people are from far and wide. Just put up a post that you are heading out and you'd like to hook up with someone. with a little luck, you'll get some reponses, as long as you, or them don't mind travelling a bit.

I'm one of the odd ducks I guess. I love fishing alone as much as with someone. That being said, don't think I'd venture onto Lake Ontario alone!

Goodluck!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Ricc,

Welcome and good luck with your new, nice-sounding boat!

With regard to having no one to fish with: any chance your lovely wife would wish to accompany you on your maiden voyage? Why not name the boat after her? (It would win you some points!) :wink:

W.
Ricc
Participant
Participant

Post by Ricc »

Hey, thanks for the feedback, the yard work is done, went like hell to get it out of way and free up the weekends. The wife thing doesn't work for me and that's the way I like it, no offence gals or teams, her idea of camping is the Holiday Inn. I also Moose & Deer hunt and she has no problem with this either, to me, I'm the luckiest guy in the world. It's the wives of my friends that have the problem. I shouldn't say that, they also have young kids and responsibilities, I've been through all that.
I'll have no problem fishing alone when Bass season comes, the boat will be parked at my sisters cottage in Parry Sound and off I go with my new toy.
Here's a question, since last week was my first boating experience, I was heading back to the marina because of the thunder storm and pointed the boat into the waves and gradually started to increase the throttle but could not get the boat to plane (14 foot widebody, me in the back and the sick partner in the middle, 25 four stroke). I can't see it being the weight, after much thought is it because the 2 foot roles kept me in the air or what
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hey, Ricc

Post by Cancatchbass »

Welcome to the board, Ricc.

Your planing problem may be the result of how you were trying to get her up on plane.

You should give full throttle right from the start, and then ease off to the desired speed once on plane.

Trying to gradually increase throttle causes the boat to plow through the water, and depending on the set-up and conditions you might never make it on plane. Give it a try next time. :D

If you still can't plane her out, you may need to have your passenger move to the bow temporarily.

CCB
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

Hello again everyone,
launched my boat for the first time all by my self at bluffers park today(well couple of guys standing there,helped a bit).parked away from the ramp,removed cover,removed wires,removed transom ties,loosened winch strap,made sure the drain plug was in tight,took a walk around so far so good,loaded every thing i needed,backed in to the ramp till bunks were almost submurged in water.coud see boat moving like it is afloat,very well,came out of the truck tried to pull boat away from trailer,NO WAY.ok my be i am not enough in the water so backed in a bit more,tried to pull again on dock line,NO WAY.ok got feet wet steped on trailor tongue push boat away from trailor,NO WAY. WHAT THE %&*#@ is going on here,an elderly gent watching al along walked over to me and said have you taken the transom tie downs off?I said yes.he said pull out and lets see what is holding her,I said ok but whatever you find don't laugh because its my first time launching.so I pulled up and guess what ?the @#%&* transom saver bar was still attached to the motor and trailer :oops: .the oldman still laughed and I had no choice but to join in.after that every thing went smooth coming out was a breeze,the guy was still there so we talked about boats and fishing for a while and the main thing is that I feel much better now and the boat has no scratches.I am going to practice till I get it right
once again thank you all for valuable advice,and see you somwhere on the water. :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey fisher

Been there ...done that :oops:

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Thanks for the chuckle, but we've all been there. I've forgotten straps and even the plug once.
:lol: :lol:

You'll be an old pro soon enough. :wink:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Ditto - you know my 1st launch story! :oops:

Look at the bright side: you made your 1st launch a MEMORABLE one!! :lol:

W.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Hey Ricc launching out of Port Credit isnt a bad idea. Lake Ontario almost never blows up fast and has many dog days in the summer where the water is completely flat. Spring and mid August wil find fish only a few hundred meters from shore. The winning fish one year came out of a 14' boat trolling the mouth of the credit. Lots of big chinooks at the end of August..